Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hopes & Wishes for the Inevitable Movie Reboot

Let me start by saying I'm in no rush to see Wonder Woman rebooted. We (hopefully) are still going to get a third movie with Gal Gadot, and assuming Warner continues to limp onward with their shared universe, maybe she'll pop up in other movies or (God forbid) another Justice League.

But if/when Gal Gadot's run ends and Wonder Woman does get a cinematic reboot, what are some changes you hope or prefer to see? Not just personal preference, but in the interest of keeping things fresh and not just rehashing what's already been done?

- Origin set in modern day
    For one, we've seen Diana in a World War already. We don't need to see it again, so putting her in the present from the start would be a nice change of pace. I've also said I'm just not a fan of Diana being around since the early 1900's. More importantly, it will also allow her supporting cast to stick around for more than one movie which would be helpful. We can introduce Barbara Minerva early and establish her as friend from the start, saving her villain turn for a sequel instead of trying to fit it all in one movie like 84 tried. It would also just be nice to see Diana be WONDER WOMAN openly from the beginning, as opposed to what they've been doing where she's been around for a hundred years but keeping it secret.

- Full power from the start
    We saw Diana slowly learn her powers in the first one, and that was fine, but again as a chance of pace, it would be cool if she was depicted as a powerhouse from the beginning next time around. I'll admit this is also partially due to the current movies' choices--she loses her powers in 84, she only shows up for the last ten minutes of Batman v. Superman, and the less said about Justice League (both versions) the better. Call it blue balls--I want powerhouse Wonder Woman yesterday. So if/when we get a reboot, no farting around this time: full strength, flight...the whole thing from the minute she leaves Themyscira.

- No Ares (at least not for the first one)
    Why not save Ares for a sequel and build up to him? Have some other threat be the reason Diana leaves Themyscira, and only hint at his presence? There is appeal in starting Diana right out of the gate against an actual god, but maybe to switch things up, they keep him in the background and have him be the final big bad for her part three?

- Actually involve the Contest
    Maybe? I'm honestly not as married to the Contest as part of her origin as others, but again, to switch things up, maybe incorporate it into her origin for the reboot instead of running off without Hippolyta's permission?

- Switch up the villains
    I know I mentioned Barbara and Ares, and we don't know who's going to show up in Wonder Woman 3, but to keep things fresh let's delve into Diana's other rogues. We already got Dr. Poison, but how about Queen Clea or Giganta or Osira or Veronica Cale or Devastation, etc?

Speaking of which...
    - NO MAX LORD

- Upgraded Amazons
    We got the traditional bows & arrows Amazons. I'd be down to see a more advanced Themyscira in a reboot. We can get the Invisible Jet (she should still fly on her though, natch) and maybe lead to conflict with people & villains trying to steal their tech and learn their secrets.

- No secret identity
    I'd like if they don't bother with the Diana Prince identity and try something more like Rucka's first run where Diana is a public figure.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Agree with most of what you say.

I'd say a good way to start a new series potentially would be avoid doing another straight up origin, it might end up like a Spider-Man (2002)/Amazing Spiderman depending on when it'd happen if they just did another straight origin. Have a Diana maybe early in her career, but having been an active hero for at least a few months/years. Flashbacks to her origin when say it'd be relevant.

Explicit confirmation of the clay origin though.

I'd hold off on Ares also but would do the Earth One series thing where his presence his implied but doesn't show up until a few sequels in. Also have him ultimately defeated as he was in Gods and Mortals. I'd also hold off on Cheetah but would make Barbara Minerva a supporting cast member early on and she becomes Cheetah later down the line.

I think also an interesting route to take that the DCEU didn't would be do the ambassador role from the post-Crisis years, with no exile or cutoff from Themyscira.

Edit: Also in her own universe.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-20-2021 at 06:16 PM.

I definitely wouldn't want a WW movie reboot for a long time. WB seems to have a weird thing about characters overlapping in movies and TV shows, and I would really like a tv show or cartoon after the movies are finished. You can do so much experimenting in tv shows that you can't in movies and I want to see it all.

That being said, in the inevitable movie reboot, I would like to see:

-A consistent cast of side characters. Preferably Steve, Etta, Barbara and Julia, but new characters unique to the movie would be nice too. I would like Diana to have a group of characters she can pal around with for all 3 films (assuming this reboot is a trilogy).

-Assuming Barbara is in this cast, have Barbara be really really close to Diana as a friend so her betrayal stings. I feel like no superhero movie has gotten this down yet, I don't care if it takes 3 films to get Barbara to Cheetah, but I would like to see a super close relationship just be gut wrenching with betrayal. (Actually, the first WW movie actually did that really well when when Diana realized humanity is kinda bad and felt betrayed with that realization, but I would like for it to be betrayal from a specific person this time around.)

-Keep the sword for rare occasions, really focus on the hand-to-hand combat.

-Throw in some lesser known villains.

-Have Diana fight a Greek monster once or twice, not too much though. I don't want it to go too heavy into the Greek mythology, mostly because I don't want the gods to be super involved (except Ares) and take time away from human characters.

-Have her talk to animals. IDK why, I would just like that power in a movie.

A bonus, the current WW movies are already doing this but:

-Please have Diana be an honest person who makes mistakes, not some untouchable goddess or a sword-welding mad woman, and not turned into a muscular comedian like Marvel does with so many of their characters. Marvel like to make almost all of their movies action/comedies and I really don't want Wonder Woman to be a comedy. Comedic moments, yes. Comedy genre, no.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Clay origin

Set in modern day

Greek Gods are alive and well

Bullets and Bracelets contest

Basically just adapt the Perez storyline.

- Clay origin
    - The Contest
    - Modern setting
    - Bigger role for the gods
    - Bigger role for Etta
    - Comic accurate Cheetah
    - Villany Inc
    - Donna Troy

That I am not too old by the time it arrives.

We seem to be averaging at about one WW solo feature per decade (2009 animated one then the 2017 live action one and 1984 was in 2020). Come through 2034!

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I know this is gonna be controversial but a better actress. Gadot has the looks but the dialogue delivery is very bad and that is holding back Wonder Woman. If we want an Ambassador of Peace Wonder Woman, we need an actress who can make great speeches.

Clay Origin

Themyscira should be a very magical place, not just an invisible barrier but everything should ooze magic like Hogwarts.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 03-21-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I know this is gonna be controversial but a better actress. Gadot has the looks but the dialogue delivery is very bad and that is holding back Wonder Woman. If we want an Ambassador of Peace Wonder Woman, we need an actress who can make great speeches.

Clay Origin

Themyscira should be very magical not just invisible barrier but everything should ooze magic like Hogwarts.
    Well this is about a reboot so we'd get a new actress anyway lol

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Let me start by saying I'm in no rush to see Wonder Woman rebooted. We (hopefully) are still going to get a third movie with Gal Gadot, and assuming Warner continues to limp onward with their shared universe, maybe she'll pop up in other movies or (God forbid) another Justice League.

But if/when Gal Gadot's run ends and Wonder Woman does get a cinematic reboot, what are some changes you hope or prefer to see? Not just personal preference, but in the interest of keeping things fresh and not just rehashing what's already been done?

- Origin set in modern day
    For one, we've seen Diana in a World War already. We don't need to see it again, so putting her in the present from the start would be a nice change of pace. I've also said I'm just not a fan of Diana being around since the early 1900's. More importantly, it will also allow her supporting cast to stick around for more than one movie which would be helpful. We can introduce Barbara Minerva early and establish her as friend from the start, saving her villain turn for a sequel instead of trying to fit it all in one movie like 84 tried. It would also just be nice to see Diana be WONDER WOMAN openly from the beginning, as opposed to what they've been doing where she's been around for a hundred years but keeping it secret.

- Full power from the start
    We saw Diana slowly learn her powers in the first one, and that was fine, but again as a chance of pace, it would be cool if she was depicted as a powerhouse from the beginning next time around. I'll admit this is also partially due to the current movies' choices--she loses her powers in 84, she only shows up for the last ten minutes of Batman v. Superman, and the less said about Justice League (both versions) the better. Call it blue balls--I want powerhouse Wonder Woman yesterday. So if/when we get a reboot, no farting around this time: full strength, flight...the whole thing from the minute she leaves Themyscira.

- No Ares (at least not for the first one)
    Why not save Ares for a sequel and build up to him? Have some other threat be the reason Diana leaves Themyscira, and only hint at his presence? There is appeal in starting Diana right out of the gate against an actual god, but maybe to switch things up, they keep him in the background and have him be the final big bad for her part three?

- Actually involve the Contest
    Maybe? I'm honestly not as married to the Contest as part of her origin as others, but again, to switch things up, maybe incorporate it into her origin for the reboot instead of running off without Hippolyta's permission?

- Switch up the villains
    I know I mentioned Barbara and Ares, and we don't know who's going to show up in Wonder Woman 3, but to keep things fresh let's delve into Diana's other rogues. We already got Dr. Poison, but how about Queen Clea or Giganta or Osira or Veronica Cale or Devastation, etc?

Speaking of which...
    - NO MAX LORD

- Upgraded Amazons
    We got the traditional bows & arrows Amazons. I'd be down to see a more advanced Themyscira in a reboot. We can get the Invisible Jet (she should still fly on her though, natch) and maybe lead to conflict with people & villains trying to steal their tech and learn their secrets.

- No secret identity
    I'd like if they don't bother with the Diana Prince identity and try something more like Rucka's first run where Diana is a public figure.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Have to agree with pretty much all of these. The one exception I'd have is she wouldn't fly in the first film and instead use the Invisible Jet, but gain flight in the sequel. But since they've unfortunately played that card already, I can totally get the desire to see her fly from the get go and I'd probably go for that too.

Definitely more technologically advanced Amazons, bigger role for Etta Candy (Holliday Girl version!), some presence for Donna, better pacing for Barbara's transformation into Cheetah across multiple films, and the other villains being Ares, Circe and the members of Godwatch,

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Yes. More diplomat Wonder Woman and less Warrior Woman.

No more Diana being naive, clueless, and self doubting. Wonder Woman knows who she is and what's her mission in Man's World.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Well this is about a reboot so we'd get a new actress anyway lol
    yeah, and I hope acting talent is given equal importance as looks this time.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 03-21-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member

- Themyscira is a modernized Golden Age take

- Diana doesn't kill or use a sword and shield

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Yes. More diplomat Wonder Woman and less Warrior Woman.

No more Diana being naive, clueless, and self doubting. Wonder Woman knows who she is and what's her mission in Man's World.
    So you want the Wonder Woman movie reboot to bomb? Lol the diplomat Wonder Woman is no where near as popular as the warrior Wonder Woman... like it’s not even close!! Action is expected from a character like Diana, and we don’t get that from diplomat/peaceful Diana. WW84 tried to give us that and it fell flat

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    So you want the Wonder Woman movie reboot to bomb? Lol the diplomat Wonder Woman is no where near as popular as the warrior Wonder Woman... like it’s not even close!! Action is expected from a character like Diana, and we don’t get that from diplomat/peaceful Diana. WW84 tried to give us that and it fell flat
    Interesting how giving her more traits than generic warrior is considered doing away with action scenes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Have you actually read any Wonder Woman before?

It's not like she's ever been a total pacifist. Just not generically violent.