View Poll Results: Preferred identity for Betty / Bette Kane?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bat-Girl

5 6.85%
  • Flamebird

55 75.34%
  • Hawkfire

5 6.85%
  • DC needs to come up with a new identity for her

4 5.48%
  • I don't care what they call her

4 5.48%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

It is interesting to note that before the new 52 and the more or less final reinvention of Bette Kane, and now stranded in her yeaaaaaars

at West Point -

Bette was twice imagined/reimagined as the successor to Batwoman.
    1) in the old silver age stories that Alfred wrote about Dick and Betty inheriting the titles of Bat Man and Woman

2) in a circa 2000 Titans/Tomorrow storyline, Bette is reimagined as both a lover to Tim Drake and the person who becomes the new Batwoman.

I don't have the links or pictures but they've been shown many times in these forums.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Default Bette never gets a break!

So I picked up the first issue of the new thing, Dark Crisis, which starts with Batman getting an oath from Dick (appears?)

Quickly we see the throngs of heroes memorializing and what not over the Justice League being killed.

Vignettes from various ages, including some Golden Age Batman/JLa

And a big scene of all the capes in sorrow at this memorial thing.

What, Bette can't even get out of West Point for one night, when the whole world is going dark.

Totally unforgivable. No mention, no small picture, nothing.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

At the end of the Dark Crisis first issue

is a picture of George Perez (drawing) and many of the characters he created, drew, etc.
    Many characters, Titans, WW, etc. etc.
    But not even the iconic first reimagination of Flamebird. Nothing.
    ~ Oberon ~

NOTE: Thread / poll was created in April of 2021.

With 65 people having voted,
    * Flamebird = 50 votes
    * Hawkfire = 4 votes
    * "I don't care what they call her" = 4 votes
    * Bat-Girl = 4 votes
    * "DC needs to come up with a new identity for her" = 3 votes

Yellow/Gold Robin, Sgt Sidekick, Captain Cadet, Princess Pup (a baby bat is called a pup!)

There's no hope when most writers in articles like this don't know there was an original Bat Girl
    https://www.cbr.com/batgirls-important-nightwing-dc/
    (first sentence literally states Babs is the original and everything about NW/Dick begins with her and no where at all is Bette thought of)
    ~ Oberon ~

https://www.cbr.com/batman-estranged...rley-quinn-dc/

Wonder if they'll have an article about

Abandoned members of the Batfamily.
    ~ Oberon ~

Extraordinary Member

Bette will be in the new Batman and & Scooby Doo series for February’s solicitation

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Bette will be in the new Batman and & Scooby Doo series for February’s solicitation
    Who's writing that issue?

I haven't bought any issues for this run; didn't see issue #1 (written by Sholly Fisch) when I was at the comic book shop last month, and issues #2-4 have all been solicited with different writers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I haven't bought any issues for this run; didn't see issue #1 (written by Sholly Fisch) when I was at the comic book shop last month, and issues #2-4 have all been solicited with different writers.
    Sholly Fisch is writing it.

OH?

My late birthday present from DC? Giggle, I turned 67 on November 18.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I pretty much will only buy the occasional DC, especially if Bette were in it. Or the promise of it.

I'm kind of in reactionary mode, because I made a point of not reading DC, mostly, after COIE so many years ago - because they killed Kara and others plus the other changes. I was done. I've told this before.
    But fairly soon after, I noticed the repurposing of Betty/e as Flamebird, mostly without much backstory. Was intrigued, but not enough to follow any particular DC comic. But I would say I liked the Legion around this era, as it was mostly unconnected to "our time".
    I also adored the original Sensor Girl plot in Legion, the mystery and hints that she was really Kara, who'ed been killed in the COIE. It is one of my favorite story lines.
    But most of the last 30 some years were DC-devoid, until the Batwoman's reinvention, specifically 'Elegy'. I was just minding my own business at my job, in a large public library and came across our collections's Hardbound edition of Elegy and I was so turned on to Kathy's character and place in Gotham, side characters, and of course another reinvention of Betty as Bette, picking up from her post 2000 career (or so it seemed to me), minus the Robin/NW butt ogling, etc.
    But I miss her connection to Beast Boy and of course Dick.

The first/early issues of Batwoman back in 2011 (?) were the best issues of Flamebird ever, other than the stripping her of most of her agency as a Titan.
    ~ Oberon ~

NOTE: Thread / poll was created in April of 2021.

With 69 people having voted,
    * Flamebird = 52 votes (+2)
    * Bat-Girl = 5 votes (+1)
    * Hawkfire = 4 votes
    * "I don't care what they call her" = 4 votes
    * "DC needs to come up with a new identity for her" = 4 votes (+1)

CBR recently had an article about the 2 Bette/y's.

I thought that to most degrees the various continuities are canon. That a Bat-Girl existed before Babs and that she was briefly involved with the Titans(west)

but the article talks about her being reinvented as Flamebird for the new continuity.

My point. These canons or continuities change within a decade or more or sooner.

We now know that the Wayne's are semi-related to the Kane's and both have history in Gotham.

The article did not go forward, showing Bette's involvement with Titans in the early 2000s era, even a possible future where

Tim Drake was involved with Bette and

she even took on the mantle of Batwoman.
    This was all before the new Batwoman, but also coincided with an idea from the Silver Age where Alfred imagined that Dick and Betty would be the future Batman and woman.
    ~ Oberon ~

From The Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries #5