View Poll Results: Preferred identity for Betty / Bette Kane?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bat-Girl

5 6.85%
  • Flamebird

55 75.34%
  • Hawkfire

5 6.85%
  • DC needs to come up with a new identity for her

4 5.48%
  • I don't care what they call her

4 5.48%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    There have been 22 votes so far; 19 of those were for Flamebird.
    Too bad she's still trapped in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Too bad she's still trapped in limbo.
    Is she literally "trapped in limbo" as the part of a comic book story plotline, or are you just referring to the idea that DC isn't using her anywhere yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is she literally "trapped in limbo" as the part of a comic book story plotline, or are you just referring to the idea that DC isn't using her anywhere yet?
    Not literally in limbo - the writer's just tossed her into West Point and left her there, (like dropping-off an unwanted child at boarding school), lol.

It is hard to totally predict that nothing will ever come of Bette as FB, though it seems. But if by chance her star shone again, some writer or creator might want to show us "what happened" during West Point (untold tales).

In a way, that has always been a part of her role (not really mystique, though).

that she can be used to fill in gaps or 'possible' (ie; imaginary tales written by Silver Age Alfred, or 'futures' with Titans of Tomorrow, etc.) stories or no-longer existing (her Earth 2 conundrum)
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    It is hard to totally predict that nothing will ever come of Bette as FB, though it seems. But if by chance her star shone again, some writer or creator might want to show us "what happened" during West Point (untold tales).

In a way, that has always been a part of her role (not really mystique, though).

that she can be used to fill in gaps or 'possible' (ie; imaginary tales written by Silver Age Alfred, or 'futures' with Titans of Tomorrow, etc.) stories or no-longer existing (her Earth 2 conundrum)
    I don't know why Batwoman seemingly isn't allowed to have a sidekick or partner anymore. And I don't see Bette being used anywhere else but with Kate, at this stage.

I don't know why Batwoman seemingly isn't allowed to have a sidekick or partner anymore. And I don't see Bette being used anywhere else but with Kate, at this stage.
    And while sadly true, it is probably "the best" way we will see her (given a good writer); actual partner and extended familial relationships.

So let's speculate that if or when it happens again, Bette would be in Kate's book, her cast.

What might we want to change, to improve her image or viability?

I would have her return rather without much fanfare, but determined to now make up for lost time, and maybe seek out some adventures on her own, but with any one from her Titans day. Of course this would lead to the way long awaited confrontation or denouement or any kind of sense of what her and Dick's relationship is in this post/past new 52 era.
    So maybe better to have her seek other females in proximity, even Batgirl?
    I think Bette back in a title with a possible storyline or arc, should resolve or give backstory/origin to

actual relationships; parents, to other Kanes/Waynes (nothing writ in heavy ink; flexible) but the reason why she wanted to get away and in the action. How any possible friendship with Dick or others fits in to that.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    And while sadly true, it is probably "the best" way we will see her (given a good writer); actual partner and extended familial relationships.

So let's speculate that if or when it happens again, Bette would be in Kate's book, her cast.

What might we want to change, to improve her image or viability?
    I'd put them both in a Team Book, and then go from there.

Preferably a Team Book without any other members of the Batfamily.

Incredible Member

Has her history of being a tennis professional been wiped out?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Why would she have to be in Kate's book? long before this Kate Kane existed, Bette showed up randomly in Titans related stories (New Teen Titans, Beast Boy, Titans). It would not be out of the realm of possibility for her to show up in Nightwing or even Titans Academy...which might not be a bad idea for her actually. She could be a coach/trainer/mentor there. Bette has tons of possibilities as to where she can pop up. Who knows, she might get a spot in the Urban Legends anthology. The problem is that many see the niche she occupied as filled by Steph/Spoiler. We need a John Ostrander to show up and create a new role for her much the same as the actual John Ostrander found a new role for Babs.

With 27 people having voted at some point,
    * Flamebird = 22 votes
    * Bat-Girl = 2 votes
    * Hawkfire = 2 votes

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I will admit that I just voted for fun.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Funnily enough, the CW show is in full ''Bat Team'' territory now, in accordance with the Arrowverse formula. And the team includes Bette's TV counterpart...

BANNED

I imagine her looking for a name and having a meh been there done that reaction to all her previous names.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I thought I’d be punk rock and vote for Flamebird, but I just followed the trend. Jk. I’ll always think of Bette as Flamebird. Wish we’d get her in an ongoing somewhere. Maybe she could become the new Oracle?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like Flamebird name and costume better than Hawkfire, the costume not so bad it's pretty modern and streamlined, but the name is awkward, I always want to say Firehawk