View Poll Results: Preferred identity for Betty / Bette Kane?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bat-Girl

5 6.85%
  • Flamebird

55 75.34%
  • Hawkfire

5 6.85%
  • DC needs to come up with a new identity for her

4 5.48%
  • I don't care what they call her

4 5.48%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I like Flamebird name and costume better than Hawkfire, the costume not so bad it's pretty modern and streamlined, but the name is awkward, I always want to say Firehawk

Amazing Member

I know almost nothing about her character, is it true that at some point in her history she retired as a superhero to play tennis? If so, I think it will be a great way to reintroduce her character: a world-famous professional tennis player who was once a member of the batfamily and the Titans and somehow she will be called into action again ...
    she should be in Dick and Barbara's generation

Quote Originally Posted by mib86 View Post
    I know almost nothing about her character, is it true that at some point in her history she retired as a superhero to play tennis? If so, I think it will be a great way to reintroduce her character: a world-famous professional tennis player who was once a member of the batfamily and the Titans and somehow she will be called into action again ...
    she should be in Dick and Barbara's generation
    If I remember right at least one version of her was kind of an ascended fan girl, trying to impress Dick Grayson. She was never taken very seriously.

It was during a 2000 Beast Boy mini series that she said to hell w. Dick and revamped her costume (a glorious redesign), showing what she could actually do if she were serious…:

Bette’s always reminded me of Marvel’s Nighthawk of Defenders fame (birds of a feather), in that there’s a lot there but it’s rarely ever touched on.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 02-27-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Default A radical idea for Bette

Bette has been seriously MIA for way too long, and if nothing else, Kate should have realized this.
    But perhaps Kate either doesn't value you Bette very much at all, has no real respect for the skills, training or resources that Bette did have prior to their association, mostly detailed in the "Elegy" storyline. Or does she?
    So my idea is that Bette has been victimized during West Point. Perhaps someone did the date-drug on her and she was otherwise left in a bad state, beaten and drugged - but not impregnated.
    Now the officials are trying to keep Bette, from a well-known family, from telling her story and otherwise trying to find her accuser (this could be a conspiracy with gang rape or other horrid things).
    But since Kate is either occupied or not really aware this has happened, Bette may reach out to the traditional Bat Family.
    Her story could move their as a way of reinvigorating it overall.
    The Bat Family would have an interesting new dynamic if a old/new person showed up, with ties to Bruce and Dick from long ago and also was the first "Bat-girl" which could have a new dynamic with Barbara or the other Batgirls.
    They could rescue Bette from West Point and give her some support afterwards. But various romantic (Dick?) or other tensions might arise to create new storylines or plot developments.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

NOTE: Thread / poll was created in April of 2021.

With 43 people having voted,
    * Flamebird = 34 votes
    * Bat-Girl = 3 votes
    * Hawkfire = 3 votes
    * "I don't care what they call her" = 2 votes
    * "DC needs to come up with a new identity for her" = 1 vote

Definitely Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Bette has been seriously MIA for way too long, and if nothing else, Kate should have realized this.
    MIA? Realistically, she's just doing her five years at some Army base in Texas or whatever.

But perhaps Kate either doesn't value you Bette very much at all, has no real respect for the skills, training or resources that Bette did have prior to their association, mostly detailed in the "Elegy" storyline. Or does she?
    Kate doesn't want Bette being a vigilante because Bette has plenty of opportunities in her life. She's one of the few family members she has left, and for Kate being a vigilante is very much a last resort sort of thing.

So my idea is that Bette has been victimized during West Point. Perhaps someone did the date-drug on her and she was otherwise left in a bad state, beaten and drugged - but not impregnated.
    Now the officials are trying to keep Bette, from a well-known family, from telling her story and otherwise trying to find her accuser (this could be a conspiracy with gang rape or other horrid things).
    But since Kate is either occupied or not really aware this has happened, Bette may reach out to the traditional Bat Family.
    Aside from Bette being graduated by now... you want her abused again?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Barbara is Oracle already in Young Justice and they have introduced Bette. I think it would be a great way to reintroduce Bette as Batgirl.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

We really dont need another Bat-girl...even a hyphenated one (Bette's code-name was hyphenated.) Flamebird on the other hand is cool and fun and exciting or should be....if she were used. Ben Raab had a fantastic handle on her character and made her fun. Unfortunately Ben is nowhere to be found in comics land any more. (Likewise, Justiniano was did a fantastic Flamebird, but well...he wont be drawing anything any time soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    We really dont need another Bat-girl...even a hyphenated one (Bette's code-name was hyphenated.) Flamebird on the other hand is cool and fun and exciting or should be....if she were used. Ben Raab had a fantastic handle on her character and made her fun. Unfortunately Ben is nowhere to be found in comics land any more. (Likewise, Justiniano was did a fantastic Flamebird, but well...he wont be drawing anything any time soon.)
    And before Betty/Bette went by Flamebird, the name was used by Jimmy Olsen and then Ak-Var (both while in the Bottle City of Kandor in pre-CoIE continuity) while it was later used by a few others, almost always somehow in a connection with Krypton . . . except for Bette.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    She hasn't appeared anywhere again?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    She hasn't appeared anywhere again?
    I thought she showed up in Dark Nights: Death Metal Trinity Crisis and One-Star Squadron?

There is a homage panel including her in one of these Metal/Teen Titans things. That was all, so it is considered canon, that she was Bat-girl around the time that Batgirl existed (but briefly)
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

And before Betty/Bette went by Flamebird, the name was used by Jimmy Olsen and then Ak-Var (both while in the Bottle City of Kandor in pre-CoIE continuity) while it was later used by a few others, almost always somehow in a connection with Krypton . . . except for Bette.
    I've always felt there could be an obvious Krypton / Kandor connection.
    Silver Age story Batman: Prisoners of 3 Worlds, Bette and the existing family (Aunt Kathy, Robin and Batman) are exposed to weird gases (Morrison later says it gave Bats trips that explain the weird Silver Age) and Bette being the youngest, recovers poorly. Bruce consults with Superman who knows about extra terrestials (where they came from in the Batman story) and Superman effects a cure, possibly consulting with Kandorian scientists?
    Later Superman tells both Robin and Betty/Bette the legend of the Nightwing and Flamebird - and this is canon of a sort, though that story happened about 20 years ago in Superman.

I could actually see a lot of holes to fill in and possibilities.
    ~ Oberon ~

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Doesn't mean it has to be. Nightwing was only used in relation to Superman/krypton prior to Dick Grayson adopting it. Bette just needs a writer to take her seriously and use her well and not as a joke or fodder for plot advancement.