Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Most of the writers I love are dead. I guess the only ones left that I'd like to see return are Cary Bates, Elliot S! Maggin and Bob Rozakis. They should have a ticker-tape parade and give them the keys to the city.
    Could not agree more.
    Sadly, the industry has a nasty habit of treating not just creators, but in some case, pioneers with nothing short of contempt.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

Dixon's not coming back but I definitely don't trust people who describe him as going off the deep end politically or some such. Usually that just means he holds normal right-wing views, lol, and his ideological enemies want to pretend that he's extremist or something. Happens over and over again in this industry.

I'm as liberal as liberal can get, but I live in the heart of Trump country. If I can get over every single person within a hundred miles of me thinking Trump's the best thing since Jesus, I can ignore whatever the heck anyone's politics are if they write a decent superhero book.

I think the problem with Dixon is not his politics, but that he got involved with people like Vox Day. For those unaware think EVS, but 50 times worse. Thou I haven't followed "that corner" for a while so maybe he moved away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think the problem with Dixon is not his politics, but that he got involved with people like Vox Day. For those unaware think EVS, but 50 times worse. Thou I haven't followed "that corner" for a while so maybe he moved away from them.
    And for those of us also unaware of who or what EVS is?

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I know Garth Ennis has a Batman mini coming up, but I'd really like a decently long run (20+ issues) on a war story/character like what he did with Fury and Punisher in the MAX label over in Marvel. So, something like Black Label Sgt Rock or Black Label Blackhawks . Or possibly Black Label Rick Flag commanding a Black Label Suicide Squad (where the handpicked team is more grounded and realistic), if we're being ambitious.

Ennis loves writing war stories and war characters. Let him.

He’d make them all scumbags with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Ennis’ version of Sgt. Rock would be a rapist.

His Blackhawks would no doubt be pedophiles or worse.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

Nah he only treats capes like that. He’s very fond of old war comics, characters like Rock are what he grew up reading. His Punisher is a bad guy, but that’s how Punisher always is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jeff Parker to do more Future Quest.

James Robinson, either more Shade, or after reading his Scarlet Witch run, something with Zatanna or Madame Xanadu (or more Leave it to Chance this time for the YA line).

Jeff Smith doing something for the YA line like his Shazam mini from a few years back

Paul Dini doing whatever he wants to sink his teeth into.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I don't think Roy Thomas and James Robinson working together on the Golden Age Characters would be the dream pairing you're thinking of. They may both love the Golden Age, but they love it and its characters for different reasons, and have vastly different writing styles. Plus, re-read Robinson's work on Starman and The Golden Age. There are plenty of subtle clues that Robinson didn't much care for much of Thomas's work on those characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

What!? He didn't treat Fury or Punisher (or Hitman) that way.

Methinks someone read/watched The Boys and now thinks Ennis writes everyone like the supes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah he only treats capes like that. He’s very fond of old war comics, characters like Rock are what he grew up reading. His Punisher is a bad guy, but that’s how Punisher always is.
    Yeah, and I would say his Punisher is still a good guy (and one of the best runs in comics history). Ennis stuck with and emphasized the rule that Castle doesn't kill innocent civilians or cops. Punisher's not the only hero that kills villains, just arguably the most extreme example.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Jeff Smith doing something for the YA line like his Shazam mini from a few years back
    Agreed. Jeff Smith's SHAZAM! was truly a wonderful reading experience & anyone of any age could enjoy its sense of humor

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Paul Dini doing whatever he wants to sink his teeth into.

-M
    Agreed. Hopefully someday, Dini will be able to team-up with Bruce Timm again...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-18-2021 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Incredible Member

Are we sure that editorial didn’t want that type of scene in the book? You may be blaming the wrong person.

(Referring to the scene with Connor Hawke and his step mm. )
    Last edited by bretmaverick2; 04-18-2021 at 11:39 AM.

I want David F. Walker to get at least 2 season (12 issue a pop] run on a Cyborg with a superstar art team backing him; to make up for the last regime chasing him off the title.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Are we sure that editorial didn’t want that type of scene in the book? You may be blaming the wrong person.

(Referring to the scene with Connor Hawke and his step mm. )
    It was iirc not Shado but some Ghost lady he was sleeping with ...

And btw. Shado is not his step mom (that would be Black Canary), she was the mother of his half brother Robert (and would be now the Mother of his (half?) aunt Emiko), and the way how Robert was conceived is also kind of "problematic" ...

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    What!? He didn't treat Fury or Punisher (or Hitman) that way.

Methinks someone read/watched The Boys and now thinks Ennis writes everyone like the supes there.
    Pre-Preacher Ennis might not but Post-Preacher Ennis does.

As for thinking Ennis writes everyone like the supes in The Boys, can you blame anyone for thinking that way?
    Pull List: Currently Empty