Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    His politics made him a toxic, and divisive writer over the last few years.
    And yet, unlike others who can't get enough of spreading their "more popular" political views all over the page (many of whom I even like, despite disagreeing completely with their politics), I never found his writing overtly political (I barely even know what his politics are, just heard some comments about its "toxicity"). Just plain fun. It's a very complicated world we're living in.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 04-16-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Incredible Member

Warren Ellis to finish building out The Wild Storm universe / imprint or whatever. I know, fat chance.

Rick Remender to do almost anything instead of ending his DC career with just a handful of issues of Atom and Booster Gold (from early in his career). As someone who actually likes Remender's Marvel work better than his creator-owned work, I feel kinda cheated that he never got a long run at DC. I think he's a better superhero writer than creator-owned writer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    And yet, unlike others who can't get enough of spreading their "more popular" political views all over the page (many of whom I even like, despite disagreeing completely with their politics), I never found his writing overtly political (I barely even know what his politics are, just heard some comments about its "toxicity"). Just plain fun. It's a very complicated world we're living in.
    He has written this.

Yeah but his DC Stuff was iirc pretty apolitical. I'm not a aware that any of the stories he has written for DC is seen as particularly "problematic".

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I certainly don't agree with Chuck Dixon's politics, but he still writes my favourite take on both Nightwing and Robin (Tim).
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Warren Ellis to finish building out The Wild Storm universe / imprint or whatever. I know, fat chance.

Rick Remender to do almost anything instead of ending his DC career with just a handful of issues of Atom and Booster Gold (from early in his career). As someone who actually likes Remender's Marvel work better than his creator-owned work, I feel kinda cheated that he never got a long run at DC. I think he's a better superhero writer than creator-owned writer.
    I wonder if DC has ever asked, but I doubt Remender would ever agree to do anything for them. Don’t know if he hates them the way he has a hateboner for Marvel though. He’s in a weird place where he’s successful enough at his creator owned stuff that he never needs to work for the Big 2 again, but adaptions of his stuff by Hollywood have failed pretty badly.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The last series he has written or DC was bane Conquest in 2017-2018.
    I totally forgot that he has also written a story for the Robin 80th Anniversary Book in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    He has written this.

Yeah but his DC Stuff was iirc pretty apolitical. I'm not a aware that any of the stories he has written for DC is seen as particularly "problematic".
    I don't get it. He's toxic because he is a right-winger, or he doesn't like the Clintons? I mean, I come from a country where, except for some fanatic followers from both sides (situation and opposition), most of the population view ALL politicians with distrust. I know the "thought police" is in full force nowadays (huge battles are being fought, even around here), but that really doesn't sound fair., when we have the other side of the spectrum inundating the medium with their particular beliefs. A guy should be judged by his work, not his beliefs, which, as far as I've seen, he doesn't flaunt around like a badge of honor as others do. It's not like he's Gerard Jones, caught with his hand in the pedophilia jar. And even then, though I think there's justification in not hireing him for further jobs, I don't agree with the retroactive banning of all his work, with the companies trying to retroactively purge themselves of any association with him (now, THAT'S toxic). In a collaborative medium such as this, other creators are taking hits for something they had nothing to do with, being denied the reprint fees of the possible republished work. But, I'm not here to start any incensed political debate. Let's go back to the thread's subject.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I certainly don't agree with Chuck Dixon's politics, but he still writes my favourite take on both Nightwing and Robin (Tim).
    Mine too.

Peace

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Steve Gerber. But then, I know, I know--livin' in a fantasy.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I don't get it. He's toxic because he is a right-winger, or he doesn't like the Clintons? I mean, I come from a country where, except for some fanatic followers from both sides (situation and opposition), most of the population view ALL politicians with distrust. I know the "thought police" is in full force nowadays (huge battles are being fought, even around here), but that really doesn't sound fair., when we have the other side of the spectrum inundating the medium with their particular beliefs. A guy should be judged by his work, not his beliefs, which, as far as I've seen, he doesn't flaunt around like a badge of honor as others do. It's not like he's Gerard Jones, caught with his hand in the pedophilia jar. And even then, though I think there's justification in not hireing him for further jobs, I don't agree with the retroactive banning of all his work, with the companies trying to retroactively purge themselves of any association with him (now, THAT'S toxic). In a collaborative medium such as this, other creators are taking hits for something they had nothing to do with, being denied the reprint fees of the possible republished work. But, I'm not here to start any incensed political debate. Let's go back to the thread's subject.

Mine too.

Peace
    In agreement with you about Chuck Dixon's Nightwing. Simply irreplaceable (IMHO):

Incredible Member

Chuck Dixon, absolutely!

Beau Smith!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Based on the astoundingly good, ever-expanding Black Hammer universe, which is a love letter to DC through and through, I've decided that Lemire is my pick for JSA.

And if you're a DC fan that hasn't yet read Black Hammer and each of its spinoffs, first read it and second you're welcome. Because you're in for a real treat.
    I haven't read past the "first wave" since I'm just unable to find time for it, how well has it held up?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Chuck Dixon returning to Nightwing would be a godsend. Also, I'd be interested in reading his version of Jason's Red Hood

.... So Richard thinks that he's the only guy that can fix it? Umm.. lol..

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I know Chuck Dixon fell down a dark well politically, but it's pretty clear that he was always a solid superhero writer. I would love to see him writing more of the characters he created or helped define for the DCU

No thanks. He had his moment and he was arguably the strongest of the 90's Bat writers but this guy also went on a gay panic when people thought Connor Hawk was gay so he wrote a whole OOC scene to 'prove' that Connor was straight.....by having him sleep with his step mother. I rather he not taint the line with his homophobia especially if he is gone off the edge politically. Give that spot to someone else. Let some new blood flow in to the DCU.

Retired

Most of the writers I love are dead. I guess the only ones left that I'd like to see return are Cary Bates, Elliot S! Maggin and Bob Rozakis. They should have a ticker-tape parade and give them the keys to the city.