Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The Dark Knight Rises

10 years on how does this movie and the trilogy as a whole hold up? I'm not a Nolan fanboy but I thought he did a very good job and it was nice to finally see a DC trilogy completed by the same director after Richard Donner and Tim Burton got the boot previously.

As someone who only saw it recently for the first time, I thought it worked pretty well. Some stuff was weaker than others, but I think, when taken as a three-act story, it deserves its reputation. There are superhero movies I like a lot more (say what you will about the last film, but I love that original Spider-Man trilogy) and I think I liked the '90s cartoon and the last Batman movie more, but no complaints, overall.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It was great best of the 3 movies too bad it wasn't the start of the DCEU.

BANNED

Doctor Pavel, I'm CIA.

Weakest of the three by far

Weakest of the trilogy, but it was alright. Never bothered giving it a second watch. Still watch the first two even now.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I thank god it wasn't the start of the DCEU. I just think that would have been bad. Admittedly what we got instead was also bad, but least it didn't take down the Nolan films with the Snyderverse.

Loved Batman Begins… but I thought the sequels were overrated, especially the Dark Knight Rises.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Although I personally like the middle one the best, it is the best Batman movie series ever done. Whether you prefer 2 or 3 as the best, one of them is the best Batman movie ever done.

To this day, I find Tiny Lester's like in 2 one of the most memorable lines ever. "Give it to me and I will do what you should have done ten minutes ago." Throws detonator into river.
    Power with Girl is better.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Weakest of the three by far
    I agree. So disappointing was Rises. Like most Nolan Batman films, it was too long. Hardy's Bane is the only good thing in the movie, Hardy's physical acting is phenomenal, and yet his character got a boring anticlimactic end.

Nolan's Batman films were too sterile for me (and he takes being Kubrickian too far and I'm a huge Kubrick fan), and the Batman inaccuracies also didn't help. Mask of the Phantasm (my favorite Batman film), for example, is like the polar opposite of Nolan's sterile Kubrickian style.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-13-2022 at 07:18 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I didn't care for any of the Nolan movies. They felt like they went out of their to scrub as much of the comicbook influence from them as they could. "Realistic" Batman is just kind of boring and the voice they gave him was pure laughable.

BANNED

As a film fan

Apart from some of the direction of the fight/action scenes and some few writing choices, it was a well made movie that is all Nolan.

However, it is weakest in the trilogy, 3rd arc story and direction was messy. All way too much for Nolan's Style and I am happy he decided to end it with the third movie as I did not think he had enough steam to carry on with a 4th film, had he done so, he would have suffered the same problems Bryan Singer did with X-Men Apocalypse.

Nolan could also have had a big 3rd movie curse if Sony had given him the Sam Raimi treatment for Spiderman 3. I am happy he still retained FULL creative freedom of TDKR even if the movie was not perfect or as strong as Batman Begins or TDK.

As a Batman Fan

The movie was enjoyable enough to leave on a background watch, which I did a lot to prep for Matt Reeves The Batman
    Last edited by Castle; 04-13-2022 at 09:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Weakest of the trilogy, but it was alright. Never bothered giving it a second watch. Still watch the first two even now.

I thank god it wasn't the start of the DCEU. I just think that would have been bad. Admittedly what we got instead was also bad, but least it didn't take down the Nolan films with the Snyderverse.
    Yes, it was for the best that it was not part of the DCEU considering how close that it almost came to be because- Nolan was a producer for Man of Steel and I think he is an executive producer to Batman v Superman: Dawn Justice. However it was for the best for 3 reasons:

1. Snyder's style is different to Nolan's

2. Bruce Wayne/Batman from the Nolan movies were ripe to retire , which he did in TDKR.

3. Nolan created a world were Superman, Wonder Woman and the other DC gods would have been to unrealistic to exist in.

So yeah, really good choice that WB did not make the Nolan movies the foundations of the DCEU.

Amazing Member

It was great. Better than every superhero movie that came after it that isn't Logan or Spider-verse imo. The trilogy as a whole is already one of the best movie trilogies of all time

In a rare event, I am finding myself in complete agreement with Castle here in both posts.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I greatly enjoy it for what it was - and ending film to strong trilogy that had likely peaked in its second film, and needed an ending that wasn't a total embarrassment.

I actually enjoy Bruce getting a happy ending here, I love Bane, Selina is workable, and considering we were picking up James Bond-ish stuff from Batman Begine and mixing it with No Man's Land, it tickled my funny bone.

It was also the first #3 film in a superhero trilogy that I could say I liked.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP