Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Would you ever want DC Comics to go back to Pre-Crisis?

Would you ever want DC Comics to go back to Pre-Crisis?

There are good and bad scenarios with doing this. The good is that there is a strong foundation of history to build on. The bad is that all the problems DC had before would still be there.

Yes or No?

Pretty much my answer to any "going back" question is no. With DC, the multiverses change so much and so often (constantly now?) that it's expected that many would favor a previous version. However, I'm much more into watching the stories and characters change and grow. As much as I would love to see a DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire JLI, an O'Neil Question, or a JSA on Earth-Two again, comics aren't like dinners. You can't return to the style of old days like you can return to a restaurant for their specialty dish.

And although anyone who has ventured into the plethora of JSA threads has seen about my desiring to see a JSA on their own Earth Two, I would not want to lose a lot of what was gained since COIE for them and their families.

No. That ended in 1985. That was before I was born. I don't want them to be straddled with taking a 36 year old continuity and trying to bring it into the present as the modern continuity. Every single writer who wasn't a child reading DC devotedly back then would have to forget 36 years of history and dig through very old issues and reprints wherever they can find them to begin to know what the hell they should be writing about. It's dead, and should be brought back only as a story, like a mini or arc or issue or special of OGN or whatever, but not as the new/old continuity.

No. A lot of my favorite DC characters were only introduced post-Crisis.

Boisterously Confused

DC should never have abandoned it's multiverse, but it did. Now it would be like trying to move back into a house you burned to the ground.

Nothing is impossible, but DC has not demonstrated the skill, or the will that resurrecting its Pre-Crisis multiverse today would require.

They should keep moving forward not backwards. Maybe take inspiration from older stories but use it to cultivate new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    DC should never have abandoned it's multiverse, but it did. Now it would be like trying to move back into a house you burned to the ground.

Nothing is impossible, but DC has not demonstrated the skill, or the will that resurrecting its Pre-Crisis multiverse today would require.
    Just how many established universes did they lose, that we don't have a modern-ish/rebooted equivalent of now?

Only as a separate Earth/imprint, not as the main DCU. As with most iteractions of the DCU, I love that version too, but it would be really wrong to throw away all the later developments in favor of Pre-Crisis nostalgia.
    Now if we're talking about a Pre-Crisis Earth where we get to follow the aventures of Pre-Crisis Superman, the Satellite League reuniting, more iconic Earth-2 crossovers etc, I'm all for it.
    In my mind DC should publish an ongoing about every previous version of the Metaverse:

THE BRAVE & THE BOLD: Pre-Crisis.
    EARTH LEGACY: Post-Crisis
    SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN: New 52

I wouldn't want to see the entire company return to pre-Crisis, but I'd love an old-school Earth-2 Justice Society or All-Star Squadron book that included golden Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

There are good and bad scenarios with doing this. The good is that there is a strong foundation of history to build on. The bad is that all the problems DC had before would still be there.

Yes or No?
    No.

I grew up on the Silver/ Bronze Age.

On a practical level, it would not work today. The readership today is mostly adults, not grade schoolers.

The other reason is that they might *say* it's Pre-Crisis but it would not feel that way to me. For instance, when they were bringing back the alternate realities, they did a series where they published comic from every era. The Post-Crisis one felt like it was Post-Crisis. The Golden Age was cheating a bit but mostly felt Golden Age. However, the so-called Silver Age one, a Legion of Super Heroes story, just felt like a modern comic with something remotely resembling the Legion's Silver Age history, characters moping about their feelings for twenty pages but supposedly in the Silver Age.

"Pre-Crisis" is more than just a set of events. It's an era in our culture, a time that is gone, a style of storytelling that we are not going to see again except in some sort of retro setting like Batman '66, Wonder Woman '77 or the upcoming Superman '78.

Pre-Crisis might work in that sort of context where you publish one comic a month in that setting but it's not going to work as the main setting.
    Power with Girl is better.

Yes or No?
    No. It is never good try to go back. We have the tendency of think of past times as better times and that is not always the case.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

For Verse debates - Yes

Story line and enjoyment - No
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Nah big no for me. I love those old comics but so many characters and concepts I enjoy came from post Crisis/Pre Flashpoint DC.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It kind of did with Doomsday Clock and Death Metal. We got Earths 1984 and 2. We just needs books featuring stories with the characters from them.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yes or No?
    The answer, of course, is yes. There were no problems. The fake one -- that comics readers couldn't understand multiple earths was bogus. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.