Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if 10-15 years from now, New 52 nostalgia becomes a thing
    Still hasn’t happened for New Coke.

Nu52 will likely be remembered the same way Marvel's Heroes Reborn is remembered today.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think the only real solution here is an anthology book that tells stories from each continuity. Pre/post/New 52. Have no idea who well it would do but if older fans want to play in the old continuity, it's worth a shot.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Nu52 will likely be remembered the same way Marvel's Heroes Reborn is remembered today.
    Hmm...possibly. Its certainly the most ''off-model'' version of the DCU, in many ways.

Still, its not like everything about it was universally hated. Some aspects of this era had fans, and they are already calling for the return of those elements.

For instance, I could see a future reboot bring back Morrison's New 52 Superman, or at any rate, incorporate his arc (and the T-shirt and jeans look) into Superman's backstory. Much like how in the 2000's, you had the gradual restoration of the Silver Age Superman mythos. Or how over the last few years, we've seen the return (and evolution) of the Post-COIE Superman.

Far too late to actually go back to pre Crisis continuity. When I think of the Legion, I think of the pre Crisis version. When I think of Superman & Batman, it’s the versions from the 70’s. I loved all the Earth 2 characters and bought a book every time they showed up. As much as I loved 1986 - 2000 DC, deep down, the pre Crisis version is the definitive one for me. I say that and I thoroughly enjoyed and was invested in what came after 1986.

Even if someone wanted to do stories with those older versions, I doubt any writer could capture the feel of the characters and tell stories that felt the same. Comics were targeting a different audience back then. I’d love to see crazy Luthor in his purple outfit with a plan to steal Superman’s hair but I think a modern reader might go “what the hell is this?” A book might get the visuals correct but I don’t know if the stories would feel right. I think applying modern storytelling sensibilities on those characters wouldn’t really work. I remember when Identity Crisis was released, even though it was about the Satellite era Justice League, it didn’t feel like it to me.

Occasional mini series or one shots might work but DC has rebooted too many times for anything version to definitive. There will be fanbases for every era.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 04-18-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Isn’t Pre-Crisis the 80’s? Shouldn’t comics be about what’s going on now? Embrace this moment instead of looking backward.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Occasional mini series or one shots might work but DC has rebooted too many times for anything version to definitive. There will be fanbases for every era.
    This would be the best course of action. More stuff like All-Star Superman or Justice once and a while instead of wholesale reboot would be idea. More stand alone graphic novels is always a good thing.

Like instead of trapping the Titans franchise in the past, we could have an All-Star NTT 12 issue series while the main book(s) do whatever.

I wouldn't want them to go back, but there are a lot of elements I wouldn't mind them bringing back ion.

If nothing else, Batman was far less of a jerk back then and Joker didn't kill nearly any many hundred people every week.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I wouldn't want them to go back, but there are a lot of elements I wouldn't mind them bringing back ion.

If nothing else, Batman was far less of a jerk back then and Joker didn't kill nearly any many hundred people every week.
    Yes whenever I read Bronze Age comics, it is refreshing how much better those two in particular are compared to what followed.

If they are going to spam the Joker everywhere like they do, at least make him fun like Bronze Age and DCAU.

Retired

Thankfully, it's not a problem to find this material. So for me it's like the pre-Crisis comics never ended. And I'll never have enough time to get to it all. I'm like Burgess Meredith on THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Thankfully, it's not a problem to find this material. So for me it's like the pre-Crisis comics never ended. And I'll never have enough time to get to it all. I'm like Burgess Meredith on THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
    Right. It's also canon in my eyes, just like everything published bu DC is. It all happened and equally relevant, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

No.

Just take whatever good ideas existed in the Pre-crisis age an find a fun way to incorporate them into the new continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right. It's also canon in my eyes, just like everything published bu DC is. It all happened and equally relevant, IMO.
    And now, with Infinite Frontier, it's all canon in DC's eyes too.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    And now, with Infinite Frontier, it's all canon in DC's eyes too.
    Which is the way it should have always been, dagnabbit!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

While I think DC should move forward, an event, a series of one shots, minis etc revisiting the Pre Crisis DC would be a LOT of fun. 80s setting and everything.