Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    More as a jab at people who use those numbers as the end all be all representing of quality and that dispute that there the best we got its still faulty. Back when loot crate was a thing, DC had each box have a copy of harly Quinn with it, the sales umber show that issue over 500000. Take that in to consideration with how varent covers worked(need x amount of base to be able to buy varients) and those numbers aren't truly accurate.
    Your comments about inaccurate numbers is stuff that we (I say this as someone who had spent a lot of time looking at numbers as an interest, not as a judge of quality though) already know. We can account for that stuff and still see trends. The trends actually can help show whether variants have an impact and such. So when someone is going on about how well Black Cat was, or Immortal Hulk, we could look at the numbers and see whether this was all reader interest or other factors.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Or he really does have his issues with both sides, but leans a little towards not liking the talent in the industry at the moment.
    You won't get that from the comments here since people act like CGers are Boogeymen and are afraid to even watch a YT video. I know he does work with Thinking Critical but they mostly have the same complaints we have here.

"Aaron needs to leave Avengers"
    "Didio hates Wally West"
    "Too many events"
    "Bendis made me hate Superman"

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

I'm one of those that also just got frustrated and stopped caring about his BP run. I don't mind more diverse storytelling, but not at the expense of the character I'm reading the book for. Maybe he'd do better on Image, Aftershock or Darkhorse. He could do original stuff like Monstress, Tartarus, Saga or Deadly Class. Then there was the recent JP comparison to Red Skull. Like why? Especially knowing many people reading comics do like JP (I don't agree with everything he says, but I thought that comparison was low class).
    lol. You realise Coates is only at Marvel because Marvel themselves dragged him in. He really doesn't have a love for the medium like McDuffie did.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    A lot of Karens in this thread.

I know it's overused, but how fragile can people really be? Jesus...
    ???
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 04-15-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    You won't get that from the comments here since people act like CGers are Boogeymen and are afraid to even watch a YT video. I know he does work with Thinking Critical but they mostly have the same complaints we have here.

"Aaron needs to leave Avengers"
    "Didio hates Wally West"
    "Too many events"
    "Bendis made me hate Superman"

lol. You realise Coates is only at Marvel because Marvel themselves dragged him in. He really doesn't have a love for the medium like McDuffie did.
    But they are, at least to any who isn't a straight white male. Or anyone that doesn't have any bias against people based on their race, gender or sexuality.

Not to mention that any discussion around CG has been completely banned on CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    A lot of Karens in this thread.

I know it's overused, but how fragile can people really be? Jesus...
    The "adjacent" people argument in many cases reminds me honestly of this clip from the old British comedy series Blackadder. The Witch Finder read Inquisitor literally twists everything that is said turning it into something horrible and untrue -

Last edited by Celgress; 04-15-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

If you’re a supporter of Comicsgate publicly — stupidest name ever — then you may as well wear a sign that says, “I’m a racist and misogynist.”

Anyway, no published comics sales figures on Coates are going to be accurate due to digital sales and distribution. The video is pointless.

On the other hand, Coates trolling Peterson in Captain America is hysterical and much better than anything Coates did in Black Panther.

Coates’ Black Panther run was marked mostly by being boring, not radical. His Cap is better, but it seems more concerned over having fun with continuity like Brubaker than making political points, or it was until he started parodying Peterson.
    Last edited by Brian B; 04-15-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    He doesn't make it obvious like the neckbeards that normally make these videos. He does both sides are bad videos but leaves things so that his videos support the uglier side of comic fans.

Harassment and exploiting women is bad but not as bad as the women say.
    Diversity is good but Marvel/DC are doing diversity wrong and its killing their comics.
    Women writing comics is good but the women Marvel' been hiring are fake geek girls.
    People that like Ms. Marvel becoming Captain Marvel and her costume changes are fake fans.

He acts more reasonable than the everyday neckbeard but he encourages their type in his comment section by liking some of the worst comments.

I'll collect some of the comments he liked to show you some examples.
    *heavy sigh*...You know it continues to baffle me how a segment of comic book fandom (nerd fandoms in general) can be so close minded. How in the absolute hell can you deal with the concepts of green men and giant teleporting bulldogs but minorities and sexuality is where you draw the line? HOW?!?!?!
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    *heavy sigh*...You know it continues to baffle me how a segment of comic book fandom (nerd fandoms in general) can be so close minded. How in the absolute hell can you deal with the concepts of green men and giant teleporting bulldogs but minorities and sexuality is where you draw the line? HOW?!?!?!
    It's truly baffling.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    If you’re a supporter of Comicsgate publicly — stupidest name ever — then you may as well wear a sign that says, “I’m a racist and misogynist.”

Anyway, no published comics sales figures on Coates are going to be accurate due to digital sales and distribution. The video is pointless.

On the other hand, Coates trolling Peterson in Captain America is hysterical and much better than anything Coates did in Black Panther.

Coates’ Black Panther run was marked mostly by being boring, not radical. His Cap is better, but it seems more concerned over having fun with continuity like Brubaker than making political points, or it was until he started parodying Peterson.
    Exactly this. Especially the bolded part.

Coates BP run dealt very specifically about Wakandan and African politics. The greatest problem with this boring.

But as much as I hate the run, I was made to find out that his trades sold very well and the book was regularly amongst the top selling digital titles. Ultimately, we don't know what Marvel is looking regarding sales figures.

Ultimate Member

Idk. They can read comics which copy the civil rights struggle, but seeing a bit of the actual struggle is somehow "White and/or male and/or Christian genocide"!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    So when someone is going on about how well Black Cat was, or Immortal Hulk, we could look at the numbers and see whether this was all reader interest or other factors.
    Lets see the power of variants in action on Black Panther

BP #6 26220 X-Men variant
    (New trade volume) 12/2018
    BP #7 27548 FF variant 1328 increase
    BP #8 22670 GOTG variant 4330 decrease
    BP 9 23052 2 variants (Skrulls & Norman cover) 382 increase
    BP #10 21449 Jen Bartel Spiderman cover 1603 decrease
    BP #11 20572 Rahzzah variant 877 decrease

BP 12 20993 Okeye variant cover 421 increase
    BP #13 21024 3 variants including Virgin cover 31 increase
    BP #14 23310 Carnage variant & Storm on the main cover 2286 increase
    BP#15 18419 Storm on main cover and Killmonger variant 4891 DECREASE
    BP #16 16146 No variant 2273 decrease
    BP #17 15260 No variant 886 decrease (RETURN OF KILLMONGER)
    BP #18 14727 No variant 533 decrease

BP #19 15666 Dustin Weaver variant 939 increase
    BP #20 15142 Michael Cho variant 524 decrease
    BP #21 14639 Dave Johnson Storm variant 503 decrease
    BP #22 13894 Kaare Andrews variant 745 decrease

Lesson learned? Do not estimate the power of FF or Carnage. Folks were not staying for the story.

BP 15 would be the start of volume 3 (trade)

BP 21 would be volume 4.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    But as much as I hate the run, I was made to find out that his trades sold very well and the book was regularly amongst the top selling digital titles. Ultimately, we don't know what Marvel is looking regarding sales figures.
    Well certain ones do.

The first Coates run along with BP WOW and sometimes Crew does well. The second one.... folks are willing to try it but most don't come back.

BANNED

green men and teleporting bulldogs are too removed from reality
    plus people love dogs and green men are usually white-coded or portrayed as terrorists anyway

Forgive me for this less than weighty question. I'm not American and I've noticed over the years the use of 'neckbeard' as a perjorative. I have two questions:

1 - What is a neckbeard? Is it only around the neck or is it just inclusive of neck?
    2 - Bearing in mind the universal condemnation of such a beard style, why does anyone still have one?

I know people have moved on from castigating people who wear fedoras and those who breathe through their mouths. I take it they no longer do these things (although in the case of the latter, people with sinus problems who stop mouth breathing presumably die of asphyxiation and stop upsetting people).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Forgive me for this less than weighty question. I'm not American and I've noticed over the years the use of 'neckbeard' as a perjorative. I have two questions:

1 - What is a neckbeard? Is it only around the neck or is it just inclusive of neck?
    2 - Bearing in mind the universal condemnation of such a beard style, why does anyone still have one?

I know people have moved on from castigating people who wear fedoras and those who breathe through their mouths. I take it they no longer do these things (although in the case of the latter, people with sinus problems who stop mouth breathing presumably die of asphyxiation and stop upsetting people).
    From what I understand is its people just being a slob and not shaving basically a proper beard takes effort because you have to shave around it particularly on your neck.

Ultimate Member

Is it fair to bash someone with that look for objectively unrelated opinions? It's the same reason I don't like the term "Karen"