Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Arrow Sales Analysis of Ta-Nehisi Coates at Marvel by Perch

An interesting video crunching the numbers -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

I don't care how interesting it is. I'm not watching a video by a guy that makes videos for people that say black and gay characters are killing comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    I don't care how interesting it is. I'm not watching a video by a guy that makes videos for people that say black and gay characters are killing comics.
    When/Where was this said?( I would like to be accurate in the future if I have to comment about this channel) Anyways something in his videos had already turn me off from his videos I guess I have good reason now.

Fantastic Member

I can't see the video (it's just a black rectangle). I assume the video has been removed?
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 04-14-2021 at 03:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

That's a very legitimate reason. I'm not watching it because it isn't worth my time and effort. There could at least be some effort of summarizing the video.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    When/Where was this said?( I would like to be accurate in the future if I have to comment about this channel) Anyways something in his videos had already turn me off from his videos I guess I have good reason now.
    He doesn't make it obvious like the neckbeards that normally make these videos. He does both sides are bad videos but leaves things so that his videos support the uglier side of comic fans.

Harassment and exploiting women is bad but not as bad as the women say.
    Diversity is good but Marvel/DC are doing diversity wrong and its killing their comics.
    Women writing comics is good but the women Marvel' been hiring are fake geek girls.
    People that like Ms. Marvel becoming Captain Marvel and her costume changes are fake fans.

He acts more reasonable than the everyday neckbeard but he encourages their type in his comment section by liking some of the worst comments.

I'll collect some of the comments he liked to show you some examples.

Back when artists could actually draw attractive women without Twitter mobs coming after them; those were the days

Suggestion to all: watch Zack (Diversity & Comics or COMICS Matters)’s reviews of America Chavez. They are hilarious. They are the reason to why I returned to comic books after 20 years and started paying attention to YouTube channels.

The nineties was an awesome time to go through puberty. I dunno how this generation is gonna do it. Half of them don't even know what gender to identify as. ������*♂️

Wow women in comics looking attractive, something we dont see anymore

Let's be honest Perch, you only hire Kelly Sue to get Matt Fraction in touch.

He had legal consensual flings with bitter thots.

They say their strong and unstoppable, yet they always make themselves out to be victims and damsels just to get people canceled. #Irony

To quote Yoda, "This is why you fail."
    When I first saw the image I figured they'd done Raven of the Teen Titans dirty with a uglying up. Also Mandy's wish to move to Paris? Haha, yeah, that sounds good, unless she wants to join in on a jihad.

"The world outside your window."
    Yeah, Marvel tossed that out the window when they started hiring activists in place of writers. I'm sorry Marvel, but "the world outside my window" isn't 50% lesbians.

"Aggressively defending the character". Translation: Calling anyone who doesn't like her a "racist".

The sales say it all about how people reacted to this.

They need to stop paying attention to Twitter cause it isn't real. There is a comic book store channel here on YouTube that shows you actual costumers. Out of all the episodes I've seen, I think I only saw 2 females buying comics. Majority of costumers were hetero males ranging in age from 25 to 67. Why does Marvel keep beating a dead horse with Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, and now this book.

Married to Matt Fraction & riding the whisper network gravy train will help you fail your way up in today's comic industry. Especially with the mediocre two.

They throw in minorities and identify politics so that you can’t disagree with them. Once someone says you’re an -ist it shuts down conversation or debates. It’s a bad faith argument and rather than argue with people, you just don’t give them the money.

Oh, boy. I was still frequenting the comics board of 4chan back when this was out. Humphries was known throughout his terrible Marvel career as Dogf**ker.

If Waid's not blacklisted by no after everything he's done, then it's clear he can do whatever he wants.

The hilarious part is the fact that they have TWO blacklists: One for the people the SJWs hate, and the other for the people who manage to be too much even for SJWs.

Great, a nostalgia hustler with no substance and a race-baiting woke hustler with no storytelling skill.

16:47 Perch in an honest disappointment invokes Ya Boi “I want comics to matter.” What Perch says in sorrow, Ya Boi says in anger. The Perch/Zack crossover would be more interesting than ether images. Their channels circle each other in an interesting way.

I'm waiting for Zack to do his review. But out of my own thoughts... this was worse then what I expected, truly the most racist woke thing I've seen... and the art is just... awful. Prove me wrong.

I don't understand how making every woman in comics look like skinny dudes is "realistic." Busty, curvy women exist in real life, so why is it so wrong to depict them all of a sudden? The comics industry needs to realize that sex sells and stop trying to appeal to the angry Karen Brigade on Twitter that doesn't even read comics in the first place.

I think some companies are trying to make female characters androgynous. Because there's small group of new feminist that are ashamed of the attractive female. I think the audience that is middle grade or younger should not be bombarded with over sexualized women or men. Older audience should be okay with women or men looking attractive.
    Last edited by Kara Danvers; 04-14-2021 at 06:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

I don’t care what he supports, from what I see in the video this is a dry analysis of the performance of the Coates run on BP that more or less confirms what fans have been saying since circa 2017. For all the acclaim he garners from certain outlets (Twitter, Tumblr, etc.) he makes stupid creative decisions that erode the support of long time readers of the character and can’t pace his stories for his life.

And while he gets huge amounts of hype for his #1s when you get past the initial push sales meander and fall off because he’s incapable of adapting to the comic medium and does not respect or perhaps even like the characters that he writes, at least not in the way regular fans do. Happy to see the sales crashing and burning and hoping Marvel relaunches Cap and T’Challa with competent writers in the near future. These were honestly wasted years for both characters.

If Marvel wanted a writer with the qualities of Coates (no experience in fiction but a big name writer who is mostly interested in commentary and social justice) they should’ve put him on out of continuity side books and miniseries. You could tell he’d rather writer a Dora Milaje or Daughters of Liberty book, they might as well have let him done that than ruin two prominent Avengers in their ongoing. He’d probably see more success that way too, as he can bring in sales in the outset but doesn’t seem have any kind of staying power. Because he makes it his mission to poorly deconstruct his leads and piss off fans with mischaracterization and plot contrivances no one would tolerate if he wasn’t Coates. But that’s a whole other topic of the low expectations some books and types of fans are held to.
    Last edited by chief12d; 04-14-2021 at 06:01 AM.

He doesn't make it obvious like the neckbeards that normally make these videos. He does both sides are bad videos but leaves things so that his videos support the uglier side of comic fans.

Diversity is good but Marvel/DC are doing diversity wrong and its killing their comics.
    Women writing comics is good but the women Marvel' been hiring are fake geek girls.
    People that like Ms. Marvel becoming Captain Marvel and her costume changes are fake fans.

He acts more reasonable than the everyday neckbeard but he encourages their type in his comment section by liking some of the worst comments.

You certainly brought the receipts. Thank you for sharing.

Ultimate Member

Thanks for this.

I don't bother with "gater-adjacent" channels.

Ultimate Member

Although as someone else has pointed out, we all already know that Coates comic book work isn't good.

I totally loathe his BP work and I'm not up to date on his Captain America.

We all know that his books haven't been selling because frankly, his work seems to better suited to prose than superhero comics.

BANNED

not perch...

Fantastic Member

So you guys can see the video? I can't see it. Does anyone know why?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    So you guys can see the video? I can't see it. Does anyone know why?
    Where are you viewing the forums from? I can't see videos at work cuz YT is blocked on our net.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Where are you viewing the forums from? I can't see videos at work cuz YT is blocked on our net.
    From home. Maybe my firewall is blocking it. Thanks.

Remember I was asking a question under video of his about Hulk issue 43, being genuinely confused and all polite, and he deleted my comment right away.

Awesome guy.