Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks, everyone for the alternative names posted. I'll search for them when I have time to see if they can fill the gap.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

I didn't watch the video but I did do a quick check of his predecessors' figures on Comichron to compare.

I stopped at Isuue#20 because that was pre- Covid for Coates and after that, the numbers become even more unreliable.

Rick Remember - Issue #1 - 123,667 Issue #10- 39,356 Issue#20 - 30,341

Nick Spencer - Issue #1- 62,535 Issue # 10- 31,989 Issue# 20- 17,496 * (Sam Wilson)

Nick Spencer - Issue #1- 99,768 Issue#10- 40,051 Issue# 19- 37,897 * (Steve Rogers)

Mark Waid - Issue #695- 87,101 Issue# 704 - 34,434 (Complete Run)

Ta-Nehisi Coates -Issue #1- 167,414 Issue#10 36,764 Issue# 20 - 26,997
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 04-14-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    He doesn't make it obvious like the neckbeards that normally make these videos. He does both sides are bad videos but leaves things so that his videos support the uglier side of comic fans.

Harassment and exploiting women is bad but not as bad as the women say.
    Diversity is good but Marvel/DC are doing diversity wrong and its killing their comics.
    Women writing comics is good but the women Marvel' been hiring are fake geek girls.
    People that like Ms. Marvel becoming Captain Marvel and her costume changes are fake fans.

He acts more reasonable than the everyday neckbeard but he encourages their type in his comment section by liking some of the worst comments.

I'll collect some of the comments he liked to show you some examples.

He also liked comments that are critical of CGrs, I've posted a number of comments where I trash CGrs and CG supported sites like Cosmic Book, Bounding Into Comics and Bleeding Fool and bring up points that contradict the usual "Go Woke, Go Broke" argument and he always likes my comments.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    He also liked comments that are critical of CGrs, I've posted a number of comments where I trash CGrs and CG supported sites like Cosmic Book, Bounding Into Comics and Bleeding Fool and bring up points that contradict the usual "Go Woke, Go Broke" argument and he always likes my comments.
    He plays both sides because he's cleverer than the common neckbeard.

Mighty Member

yea, i've liked coates on both Panther and Captain America. Definitely not compelling issue to issue, but getting the TPB makes it a lot better.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

If it helps some of these people have a more balanced view, its a better outcome

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Or he really does have his issues with both sides, but leans a little towards not liking the talent in the industry at the moment.

I'm one of those that also just got frustrated and stopped caring about his BP run. I don't mind more diverse storytelling, but not at the expense of the character I'm reading the book for. Maybe he'd do better on Image, Aftershock or Darkhorse. He could do original stuff like Monstress, Tartarus, Saga or Deadly Class. Then there was the recent JP comparison to Red Skull. Like why? Especially knowing many people reading comics do like JP (I don't agree with everything he says, but I thought that comparison was low class).
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 04-14-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Coates' Marvel work is generally bad and so is this channel.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Then there was the recent JP comparison to Red Skull. Like why?
    Cuz he's bad.

Especially knowing many people reading comics do like JP
    That's bad and they should be told so.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Perch has been killing it lately with his sales analysis and interviews (highly recommend the Martha Thomases one). He looks to have put a ton of work into the channel, and it's good to see that it's really taking off.

Extraordinary Member

I am pretty sure he just likes comments so he knows he has read them. It could be an attempt to make people think he actually likes their comments, but when practically every single comment gets liked it is obvious. Now, he could intentionally make sure he never likes a comment he disagrees with or sees as hurtful or hateful, but whatever. And, yes, he is probably your typical cranky old guy who the market left behind, but there are a lot of people like that who are not whatever other label you want to throw on them for whatever the motivation to do that is.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Coates' Marvel work is generally bad and so is this channel.

Cuz he's bad.

That's bad and they should be told so.
    Jordan Peterson is an idiot and a tool (thinking English Literature would make people Neo-Marxists, what nonsense) but comparing him to the Red Skull? That's a bit much.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

A lot of Karens in this thread.

I know it's overused, but how fragile can people really be? Jesus...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Not sure if this is targeted at me or at the guy who made the video? I knew these things already, but the fact remains that the retailer numbers are the best information one can get from the outside. I'm talking about the estimates pre-shutdown and distribution change obviously, like the guy in the video.
    More as a jab at people who use those numbers as the end all be all representing of quality and that dispute that there the best we got its still faulty. Back when loot crate was a thing, DC had each box have a copy of harly Quinn with it, the sales umber show that issue over 500000. Take that in to consideration with how varent covers worked(need x amount of base to be able to buy varients) and those numbers aren't truly accurate.

Or he really does have his issues with both sides, but leans a little towards not liking the talent in the industry at the moment.....
    This is certainly possible.

IMO, people are far too quick to judge these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Perch has been killing it lately with his sales analysis and interviews (highly recommend the Martha Thomases one). He looks to have put a ton of work into the channel, and it's good to see that it's really taking off.
    A valid point. I've enjoyed a great deal of his recent work. The interviews are especially insightful. I always find his videos informative.