Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    That's a very legitimate reason. I'm not watching it because it isn't worth my time and effort. There could at least be some effort of summarizing the video.
    I was bored enough to listen to it. Still waiting for the "analysis" to be honest. He is just presenting the sales numbers (what everyone could do by looking them up on Comichron) and giving some superficial context. The actual "insight" warrants maybe a 3 min video instead of 20 min of stating the obvious.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    I don't care how interesting it is. I'm not watching a video by a guy that makes videos for people that say black and gay characters are killing comics.
    Thanks for the warning. I don't want any comicsgate BS videos showing up in my youtube feed because I clicked on a link.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I was bored enough to listen to it. Still waiting for the "analysis" to be honest. He is just presenting the sales numbers (what everyone could do by looking them up on Comichron) and giving some superficial context. The actual "insight" warrants maybe a 3 min video instead of 20 min of stating the obvious.
    His Twitter schtick was to spoil clickbait articles with a #savedyouaclick hashtag. His videos could definitely use a #savedyou10minutes campaign. His success in getting people to watch these sales analysis videos for whatever reason just shows the vast majority of people just have no idea how sales have gone for anything or how easily discovered these numbers are.

Extraordinary Member

I don't even get why people care about sales. If it were selling terribly (or at least worse than a replacement would sell), he wouldn't still be writing it. More importantly, if you like or dislike a run, what does it matter how it sells?

I don't get to tell Marvel what's good for business and they don't get to tell me what's good.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don’t care what he supports, from what I see in the video this is a dry analysis of the performance of the Coates run on BP that more or less confirms what fans have been saying since circa 2017. For all the acclaim he garners from certain outlets (Twitter, Tumblr, etc.) he makes stupid creative decisions that erode the support of long time readers of the character and can’t pace his stories for his life.

And while he gets huge amounts of hype for his #1s when you get past the initial push sales meander and fall off because he’s incapable of adapting to the comic medium and does not respect or perhaps even like the characters that he writes, at least not in the way regular fans do. Happy to see the sales crashing and burning and hoping Marvel relaunches Cap and T’Challa with competent writers in the near future. These were honestly wasted years for both characters.

If Marvel wanted a writer with the qualities of Coates (no experience in fiction but a big name writer who is mostly interested in commentary and social justice) they should’ve put him on out of continuity side books and miniseries. You could tell he’d rather writer a Dora Milaje or Daughters of Liberty book, they might as well have let him done that than ruin two prominent Avengers in their ongoing. He’d probably see more success that way too, as he can bring in sales in the outset but doesn’t seem have any kind of staying power. Because he makes it his mission to poorly deconstruct his leads and piss off fans with mischaracterization and plot contrivances no one would tolerate if he wasn’t Coates. But that’s a whole other topic of the low expectations some books and types of fans are held to.
    Are these sales figures different for other long term creators on titles ? Outside of surprise hits like Immortal Hulk I thought most books followed this trend with sales ?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    He doesn't make it obvious like the neckbeards that normally make these videos. He does both sides are bad videos but leaves things so that his videos support the uglier side of comic fans.

Harassment and exploiting women is bad but not as bad as the women say.
    Diversity is good but Marvel/DC are doing diversity wrong and its killing their comics.
    Women writing comics is good but the women Marvel' been hiring are fake geek girls.
    People that like Ms. Marvel becoming Captain Marvel and her costume changes are fake fans.

He acts more reasonable than the everyday neckbeard but he encourages their type in his comment section by liking some of the worst comments.

I'll collect some of the comments he liked to show you some examples.
    thank you. the agenda is clear.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Are these sales figures different for other long term creators on titles ? Outside of surprise hits like Immortal Hulk I thought most books followed this trend with sales ?
    they do but Coates haters need their talking points to be validated lol even if this is the typical trend for most comics.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    If by trend you're referring to the stable numbers that happen after the #1, well that's expected.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Except Comichron sales are inaccurate. They only what retailers ordered. Ignoring how fast a book sells, the %of ordered picked up each week and digital. For example while the 90 had a record high number of comics bought that was due to a influx of new stors and published shipping content beliving comics were a gold investment causing them to buy more comics then could be sold. In addition with dc move to luner/midtown and Marvel move to penguin Comichron is usless now. Penguin random house has better production and distributing methods then dimond(they still use windows 95) as such marvel is going to be able to ship and produce the same number of comics but for less cost on both retailer and publisher side. What dose that mean you might ask, marvel is speculated to take more risks producing more short series. While those series don't last or sell well there good for new talent to get accustomed to producing comics. There are way more factors to whether a comic is profitable then numbers big. Hell moon girl was selling poorly in store but with scholastic booknclubs number it beating Spiderman #, yet comicron didn't show that information.

Lastly as somting we all should know sales numbers and quality are 2 different thinks. We've had books sell like gangbusters but were literal crap and series that sold poorly but were the best produced on the market.

In short sales numbers are bull **** and CGers have **** tast
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 04-14-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Except Comichron sales are inaccurate. They only what retailers ordered. Ignoring how fast a book sells, the %of ordered picked up each week and digital. For example while the 90 had a record high number of comics bought that was due to a influx of new stors and published shipping content beliving comics were a gold investment causing them to buy more comics then could be sold. In addition with dc move to luner/midtown and Marvel move to penguin Comichron is usless now. Penguin random house has better production and distributing methods then dimond(they still use windows 95) as such marvel is going to be able to ship and produce the same number of comics but for less cost on both retailer and publisher side. What dose that mean you might ask, marvel is speculated to take more risks producing more short series. While those series don't last or sell well there good for new talent to get accustomed to producing comics. There are way more factors to whether a comic is profitable then numbers big. Hell moon girl was selling poorly in store but with scholastic booknclubs number it beating Spiderman #, yet comicron didn't show that information.

Lastly as somting we all should know sales numbers and quality are 2 different thinks. We've had books sell like gangbusters but were literal crap and series that sold poorly but were the best produced on the market.

Quoted for absolute truth.

Right now, we don't even have the estimates we used to before because of the changes in distribution. Comichron had completely changed the sales estimates and haven't even reported them for months.

The entire game has changed and anyone that's pretending to know what sales are right now is being very dishonest. And with Marvel moving to Penguin, we might be getting entirely different sales data than what we were getting previously.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I frequently watch his vids. I find them insightful and interesting...despite not being my preferred style of sarcasm. The Sales Figures vids are quite interesting and generally do reflect the overall readers/critics position.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't even get why people care about sales. If it were selling terribly (or at least worse than a replacement would sell), he wouldn't still be writing it. More importantly, if you like or dislike a run, what does it matter how it sells?

I don't get to tell Marvel what's good for business and they don't get to tell me what's good.
    Because too many folks use that as a weapon to justify characters NOT getting books or usage. Especially those of color and LGBTQA.
    While others will JEDI HAND WAVE as NOT important because their favorite is in it.

In Black Panther's case-it's a badly done book. For the SAME reasons many have screamed about his Cap America run.
    For Coates worshippers it's the greatest run ever because of ONE PERSON not named T'Challa.

The battle that we have seen has been low sales means it's the CHRACTER and no one wants to read about them. Mainly targeting POC & LGBTQA.
    When it's NOT them-it's the creative team and so on.

Marvel is not telling anyone what they can like. What they SHOULD be getting sick of are their books getting attacked before a single issue is out. Lead by a collection of jerks who never read a single issue.

The so-called Coates haters have READ the books. Can't be a hater if you took time to try the bloody book. Every complaint is valid. Marvel needs to be called out for hiring writers who don't like who they are paid to write.

Question

While Perch does have problems, the main reason I watch his videos is that he crunches the actual sales numbers (flawed as they may sometimes be) whereas everyone else on Youtube either says how much they love a book or they bitch about it. If anyone knows of someone else who is less potentially problematic who does sale analysis let me know, thanks.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    While Perch does have problems, the main reason I watch his videos is that he crunches the actual sales numbers (flawed as they may sometimes be) whereas everyone else on Youtube either says how much they love a book or they bitch about it. If anyone knows of someone else who is less potentially problematic who does sale analysis let me know, thanks.
    I’m not sure they do videos but ICV2 and Comichron did the best analysis.

Comicsbeat used to but I’m not sure if they still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post

Not sure if this is targeted at me or at the guy who made the video? I knew these things already, but the fact remains that the retailer numbers are the best information one can get from the outside. I'm talking about the estimates pre-shutdown and distribution change obviously, like the guy in the video.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.