All-New Member

Default Can someone explain Diana to me now?

Okay, I'm very confused. I used to be a HUGE Wonder Woman fan, but stopped reading DC for a long time when everything went back to Silver Age. When I read Wonder Woman:

- She was the god of truth
    - She was the best of a tribe of already morally fantastic people.
    - Her whole schtick was defeating enemies by redeeming them.
    - The character she had most sexual tension with was Io.

NOW

- She is the god of war?
    - The Amazons are violent and crazy?
    - Zeus is her father??
    - She's dating Superman???

I'm confused. Who is Diana of Themyscira now? Is that still a thing, or is that character gone, and now she's Diana Prince or something and a completely new personality?

Mighty Member

The flashpoint event rebooted the DC universe. It's a new story, but still the same character to the core. While the amazons aren't morally fantastic people (I find them awesome) Diana is such person. One who inspires (For example Ares, and even First born last issue) and redeems (Hera), who's good can be as much of a strength as it can be a weakness.

And besides "Wonder Woman", "God of war" she's also "The queen of the amazons". And when told that in WW#33 she says: “My name is Diana. Those other words are just descriptions, not names.”

Zeus being her father has of yet mostly been used to put her in conflict with Hera and into the war over the throne of Olympus, that Zeus have abandoned (since his disappearance). So she has no complex of having a father or what not.

Here's a short summary (with focus on WW#30-33) if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70tPEH_p0MU

The "thing with superman"-thing really isn't my, so I avoid that by sticking to the main book since it won't adress it. Since it wasn't in the pitch Azzarello and Chiang handed to DC.

And this thread will probably turn into a war of opinions over the book. Cheers
    Last edited by borntohula; 08-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Okay, I'm very confused. I used to be a HUGE Wonder Woman fan, but stopped reading DC for a long time when everything went back to Silver Age. When I read Wonder Woman:

- She was the god of truth
    - She was the best of a tribe of already morally fantastic people.
    - Her whole schtick was defeating enemies by redeeming them.
    - The character she had most sexual tension with was Io.

NOW

- She is the god of war?
    - The Amazons are violent and crazy?
    - Zeus is her father??
    - She's dating Superman???

I'm confused. Who is Diana of Themyscira now? Is that still a thing, or is that character gone, and now she's Diana Prince or something and a completely new personality?
    She's still Diana of Themiscyra. Flashpoint just rebooted her origin story and. sadly, really did a number on the Amazons.

But Diana herself is basically unchanged. She's still merciful and compassionate, she still redeems her enemies, and she still fights the good fight. She redeemed Hera, inspired Orion to be a better hero, changed Ares into a better person through her compassion, and is in the process of reforming the Amazons into something that much more resembles the Amazons you remember.

The daughter of Zeus thing isn't my favorite, I grant you. Honestly, I'm still not ruling out the possibility that Azz may reveal that it's been a lie this whole time. Doesn't seem likely, but I've been told by Azz fans to expect some pretty big twists.

Just about the only meaningful way Diana's paternity affects her is that it seems to give her some anger management issues in some books. In Justice League, she's had some really questionable moments, to say the least. But the New 52 is about superheroes starting out younger and less experienced. I'm thinking over time, Diana will get that anger under control and better resemble the Diana we all know and love.

The God of War thing will almost certainly be temporary. She didn't become the God of War by choice. The First Born was about to kill Ares. In the New 52, if you kill a god, you take his place. So Diana killed Ares before the First Born could and became the new God of War. In case you're wondering, Diana's killing of Ares was meant to be an act of compassion on her part. She actually mourned Ares' death.

But yeah, I'm very doubtful the God of War thing will last much longer. And even if it does? In Superman & Wonder Woman, Diana made it very clear what she plans to do with her new title. She's trying to see if she can change the concept of War into something better and more noble. Yeah, you heard that right: Wonder Woman is trying to reform War itself. See? The Diana you knew is still there.

The Amazons are the change I hate the most in the New 52. If I could change only one thing about the New 52, that is the thing I would change. I don't mind the idea that they're not as perfect as they used to be, but Azz really has taken it too far. The good news, as I've said, is that Diana is working to reform them as well. My theory is that we will eventually see the Amazons BECOME the Amazons Perez first introduced us too. And it will all be thanks to Diana's efforts.

Superman? With the New 52, DC stated that Superman and Lois Lane are not married, and in fact, never even dated. This created the opportunity to hook Diana up with Superman. Before you get mad? Do some research. DC has been toying with the idea of hooking these two up since the Silver Age. They are a really good, strong couple. They support each other and have awesome adventures together. The jury is still out on whether or not this relationship will last, but as a longtime shipper, I'm happy with what they've done so far, and I hope it does, indeed last.

So, who is Diana of Themiscyra now?

1.) She is the daughter of Queen Hippolyta, Princess of the Amazons.

2.) She is a warrior who defends the Earth.

3.) She is merciful, compassionate, and forgiving of those who wrong her.

4.) She attempts to reform her enemies, her sisters, and even the very concept of War itself.

5.) She is inspirational and strong.

Everything else is either temporary or ultimately inconsequential. That's her core.

See? I told you the Diana you knew was still around.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 08-22-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--