Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Is Days of Future Past Claremont's best comic book story concept?

it is fair to say Chris Claremont is among the top 5,maybe top 3 most celebrated Comic writers of all time and maybe even Marvel's most celebrated writer. we can talk forever on how Clermont changed a lot of things about comic books, female characters and story telling and incorporating many themes to the genre, but I was just recently talking about the DOFP story in comic/movies and there is something I have picked up that never did before in a big big way.

Usually comic books were known for their standard stories of hero good, villain bad. hero beat villain up , Hero win and goes home and be happy. However I find it very amazingly -awesome that when Claremont came along, he destroyed every stereotype of comic books and I think maybe the best of this example was his DOFP 1981 story.

Now although The Sentinels had been introduced in the 60s by Stan Lee as already dangerous villains to the X-Men, Claremont rewriting them from dangerous to unlimited in power and unbeatable stakes in DOFP changed a lot of things of how I see about comic book story telling and I think this was after his ground breaking dark phoenix saga where jean, a hero corrupted by this dark phoenix blows herself up or something.

The DOFP story was one of the few maybe the first to push a different narrative that comic books are not about the heroes fighting a villain and winning because Claremont established, that the villains in the story could never be defeated by our expected ideas of a comic book story. Genius.

After almost 40 years or more I sort appreciate this kind of more sophisticated story telling and I am glad the movie actually had this, I am not even sure it would have happened post 2017, when Disney got the rights back to the X-Men because had this movie been made in the 2020s under marvel studios, no doubt DOFP would have been watered down to a limbo, where the x-men will actually fight the sentinels and win fairly or even easily, which would have erased the main purpose of the book's point.

I liked that back then in the 80s comic stories felt very indifferent and made you look at things beyond a wrestling match of super human characters. Also are there any xmen comics in 2021 with this kind of superb narrative? One of the reason why I have never stayed 100% faithful to reading comics anymore is because I felt the genre no longer has talented original writers like Claremont or interesting stories like DOFP.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-14-2021 at 04:48 AM.