Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,137

    Default Spider's Shadow #1 SPOILERS

    Chip Zdarsky's back to Spider-Man. "Spider's Shadow'' is part of a new series of extended 'What-If' series. This one is a 4-issue miniseries.



    The first issue is good. Pasqual Ferry's pencils combined with Matt Hollingsworth's colors produce one good looking comic.

    Zdarsky says the comic is set right after ASM#258 and the designs of the characters shows, with Pasqual Ferry capturing the distinct look Ron Frenz's MJ had.

    The first issue features unique twists on some familiar beats like the Hobgoblin mystery, and you have a cool moment with Reed Richards.


    PS: The What If imprint logo on the right-hand top of the issue is an obvious swipe of the Criterion Collection DVD-BR box logo, lol!

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member Pattern_Maker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    188

    Default

    That Hobgoblin attack on the Parker Home had to be a homage to Spider-Man 1.

    When Peter mentioned that the symbiote was a living being just like him, I almost thought this was going to be a story of Peter influencing the symbiote with his good values. Overall, I like this first issue and how Zdarsky handled the monologues of Peter and the symbiote and those nightmares.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    That Hobgoblin attack on the Parker Home had to be a homage to Spider-Man 1.
    Zdarsky is a big fan of that film. It seeps into a lot of his stuff. Life Story #1 also has a homage to the first meeting between Peter and Norman.

    When Peter mentioned that the symbiote was a living being just like him, I almost thought this was going to be a story of Peter influencing the symbiote with his good values. Overall, I like this first issue and how Zdarsky handled the monologues of Peter and the symbiote and those nightmares.
    Zdarsky's point that the Symbiote offers a temptation of an easy life for a guy whose life is always so hard is an interesting angle to run with.

    He dealt with similar stuff in Life Story #3.

    The venomized Peter in this comic is pretty scary in my view.

    Zdarsky-Ferry #1 Symbiote-Spider.jpg

    It's got an inhumanity to it and an alien-ness, and it's great and creepy.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Zdarsky is a big fan of that film. It seeps into a lot of his stuff. Life Story #1 also has a homage to the first meeting between Peter and Norman.



    Zdarsky's point that the Symbiote offers a temptation of an easy life for a guy whose life is always so hard is an interesting angle to run with.

    He dealt with similar stuff in Life Story #3.

    The venomized Peter in this comic is pretty scary in my view.

    Zdarsky-Ferry #1 Symbiote-Spider.jpg

    It's got an inhumanity to it and an alien-ness, and it's great and creepy.
    I want to read it. Kingsley is one of my Peter favorite villains ( maybe second to Lizard).

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    I gotta reread hobgoblin material I think i actually stop my readthrough of spiderman around his arc. too many books to go thru at the time. All its take is one bad day or this instance one dead Aunt May. Hmmmm looks like whatever happens to Aunt May it pushes Peter to go over the edge just like what happen in OMD. Well cant wait to see Peter go all berserk on his enemies now and probably Mj and Felicia too
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

    "I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

    "My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Zdarsky is a big fan of that film. It seeps into a lot of his stuff. Life Story #1 also has a homage to the first meeting between Peter and Norman.



    Zdarsky's point that the Symbiote offers a temptation of an easy life for a guy whose life is always so hard is an interesting angle to run with.

    He dealt with similar stuff in Life Story #3.

    The venomized Peter in this comic is pretty scary in my view.

    Zdarsky-Ferry #1 Symbiote-Spider.jpg

    It's got an inhumanity to it and an alien-ness, and it's great and creepy.
    Looks like Ghost Rider.

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks like Ghost Rider.


    This is the more proper 'Venom form.'

    About the story itself - I won't lie to anyone. I'm a Venom fan, so I was kinda hoping for something a bit different than the done-to-the-death "Symbiote corrupts Spider-Man and makes him evil" story. It does seem to have some traces of a more nuanced portrayal. Like the Symbiote apologizing to Peter for not saving Aunt May because it was scared of the flames. However, ultimately it's a pretty clear cut "The Symbiote is evil. Peter should have thrown it away" kinda story. But for what it is, it's pretty cool. And I have no doubts it'll inevitably be the best story of this kind. It's just the Symbiote shill in me wanting something else. But as a Bad End What If, it's delivering.

  8. #8
    Amazing Member Dinosaur Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    I prefer not to tell you... just in case
    Posts
    73

    Default

    This dialogue with Black Cat kinda reminds me off Spider-Man Web of Shadows game, where you can choose between her and MJ. Like a dark, more cruel path.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post


    This is the more proper 'Venom form.'

    About the story itself - I won't lie to anyone. I'm a Venom fan, so I was kinda hoping for something a bit different than the done-to-the-death "Symbiote corrupts Spider-Man and makes him evil" story. It does seem to have some traces of a more nuanced portrayal. Like the Symbiote apologizing to Peter for not saving Aunt May because it was scared of the flames. However, ultimately it's a pretty clear cut "The Symbiote is evil. Peter should have thrown it away" kinda story. But for what it is, it's pretty cool. And I have no doubts it'll inevitably be the best story of this kind. It's just the Symbiote shill in me wanting something else. But as a Bad End What If, it's delivering.
    Zdarsky discussed this in his podcast, where he noted that revisiting the Defalco-early Symbiote era where the Suit often took Peter sleep-webslinging wasn't easy since he had to factor the Symbiote mythos that came later and not frame the Venom Symbiote as pure-evil. So I think you'll have a modification in later issues.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    This dialogue with Black Cat kinda reminds me off Spider-Man Web of Shadows game, where you can choose between her and MJ. Like a dark, more cruel path.
    oh i choose Black Cat in that game Mj was pissing me off
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

    "I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

    "My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Hulkout42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't there a What If? that followed this premise? And hasn't it been done before multiple times already?

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't there a What If? that followed this premise? And hasn't it been done before multiple times already?
    It has, and Zdarsky acknowledges it. In an earlier version, when Peter kept the Venom symbiote it ultimately consumed him and then moved on to a series of hosts until Black Cat killed it.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Hulkout42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It has, and Zdarsky acknowledges it. In an earlier version, when Peter kept the Venom symbiote it ultimately consumed him and then moved on to a series of hosts until Black Cat killed it.
    So, realistically speaking, what is going to set this apart from anything else already done?

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    So, realistically speaking, what is going to set this apart from anything else already done?
    To be honest, you can read them and you'll see the differences immediately. This one is far more personal and character-driven, compared to the very straightforward note of the other one. I'm also sure that in this one, Venom won't jump to Hulk or Thor mid-way through. It seems more focused on the drama around Peter's inner relationships as he bonds more and more. This one also considers more current lore, so it doesn't portray the Symbiote as just a body-eating parasite like the original.

  15. #15
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Kind of a meh start for me, not exactly very new material here, but enjoyed it never the less.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •