Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Yep. Husk looks like silver after she tears her skin off at times. People saying we shouldn’t assume it’s Husk? No. We shouldn’t assume it’s Mercury cause all the features match Husk.
    I thought for sure that was Mercury, I was so confused.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Then why not just, well, do that? Storms literally asking them to come with her.
    Based on how we’ve seen it, human traffic has to manually be reported for Krakoa to allow use of the gates. So even with Storm inviting them, Krakoa wouldn’t let them through as it’d sense that they aren’t mutants.

At first my theory was that they were Mr Sinister first Chimeras(the amalgam mutants we saw on Powers of X)

Quote Originally Posted by Daken455 View Post
    At first my theory was that they were Mr Sinister first Chimeras(the amalgam mutants we saw on Powers of X)
    I dont think so as these kids actually have families and we are getting quite a bit of backstory on them

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think so as these kids actually have families and we are getting quite a bit of backstory on them
    It might still be possible, because of the odd framing of the flashback. We haven't seen any of these kids interact with their friends and family in the present so far, so its possible these are implanted memories and they're a trial run at chimeras. But I admit its not likely.

I wish I’d never learned that the “one phone call” thing is not a real right, but rather a stupid trope made up by screenwriters.

I'm trying to give this book a chance, but the dialogue from Gabe's mom is a huge problem for me: "A lotta mess been going on out there..." and "you too trustworthy for your own good."
    Why do writers make Black characters speak like this? Would it have been too much or pulled us out of the story if the dialogue read "A lot of mess has been going on out there..."or "You're too trustworthy for your own good?"
    As a Black reader who has supported Marvel Comics for over 30 years, I am sick of writers using this speech pattern to define Black characters. We know she's Black. We see she's Black. We get hit over the head with the fact that Gabe is not a Black stereotype (that could've been shown, not told), but yet his mom still gets written like this. It's annoying.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    I'm trying to give this book a chance, but the dialogue from Gabe's mom is a huge problem for me: "A lotta mess been going on out there..." and "you too trustworthy for your own good."
    Why do writers make Black characters speak like this? Would it have been too much or pulled us out of the story if the dialogue read "A lot of mess has been going on out there..."or "You're too trustworthy for your own good?"
    As a Black reader who has supported Marvel Comics for over 30 years, I am sick of writers using this speech pattern to define Black characters. We know she's Black. We see she's Black. We get hit over the head with the fact that Gabe is not a Black stereotype (that could've been shown, not told), but yet his mom still gets written like this. It's annoying.
    Gabe having a different dialogue style from his mom could just be code-switching. Isn't Vita black?
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

But what if the kids are actually NUMANS, and this is a stealth reintroduction of them to Marvel-616 eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Not really sure why you care about people speaking in a dialect that is very prominent in a certain community. Dialect =/= intelligence and the fact that she is a teacher should show you that.

Talking proper "English" in America is a laughable statement considering american english is in its self a different dialect of English. It's only because it's spoken by Black people that there is negative stigma behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    If they're just humans it would also be a waste of time, since how would that be "the twist" if they are exactly what we assumed they were?
    Is it a waste of time to examine how mutants serve as inspiration in the Marvel universe to other people who feel misfit even if they are human? Which is still a reflection of how the franchise has inspired many people in the real world over the years?

Is that a waste of time?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Is it a waste of time to examine how mutants serve as inspiration in the Marvel universe to other people who feel misfit even if they are human? Which is still a reflection of how the franchise has inspired many people in the real world over the years?

Is that a waste of time?
    Considering the fact that they’ll probably be fed onto the “undignified death” meatgrinder next event?

Probably

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Gabe having a different dialogue style from his mom could just be code-switching. Isn't Vita black?
    It could be code-switching. Not sure, but I think Vita is Afro/Latinx.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Not really sure why you care about people speaking in a dialect that is very prominent in a certain community. Dialect =/= intelligence and the fact that she is a teacher should show you that.

Talking proper "English" in America is a laughable statement considering american english is in its self a different dialect of English. It's only because it's spoken by Black people that there is negative stigma behind it.
    1. I care because as a consumer, I paid for the book. I care because I'm Black and I'm concerned with issues of representation.
    2. Do you need to know why I care about something in order for me to comment on it on a discussion board?
    3. "Dialect" that is common in a certain community is a stereotype. Show me the date and stats that show Black people in certain communities speak like that.
    4. Where in my comment did I say anything about the intelligence of Gabe's mom? Or did you just infer that?
    5. Where in my comment did I say anything about "proper English?" Again, did you just infer that?
    6. And I'm not trying to argue or disrespect you. I just want my comments to be taken as they are written without inferences. If you have questions, please ask.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    It might still be possible, because of the odd framing of the flashback. We haven't seen any of these kids interact with their friends and family in the present so far, so its possible these are implanted memories and they're a trial run at chimeras. But I admit its not likely.
    The school scene at the gym with Cole was in the present.
    Gabe was talking to his mum and little sister before the concert and the Hells Belles fight which was a present event.
    "Cable was right!"