Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #188 – J. Holtham Talks ‘Bishop: War College’

I'm even more interested in this series after reading the interview. I love J's vibe.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/23/x-...p-war-college/

It’s a new year, and that means new X-Men titles are coming in hot. On February 8, Bishop: War College #1 hits your local comic shop. First announced at New York Comic Con 2022, it’s a mini-series X-Men Senior Editor Jordan D. White described as “really bananas” in X-Men Monday #176. How could we not invite writer J. Holtham here to talk about his story (with art by Sean Damien Hill and covers by Ken Lashley)?

Read on to see what J. has to say about Bishop: War College, his relationship with the X-Men, and more!

AIPT: Now, the beginning of Bishop: War College — how did the opportunity to write this mini-series come about? Is this something you pitched to the X-Office, or was it pitched to you?

J: It was kind of a combo platter. Sarah Brunstad and I had worked on a Sam Wilson story for Marvel’s Voices and she approached me about writing a Bishop book. We kicked around some ideas and settled on the story of the book together.

AIPT: For readers who are learning about Bishop: War College for the first time, what can they expect from this mini-series?

J: My whole thing is an entertaining story. You should expect some action, some fun, but a real beating heart underneath. I wanted to show some different sides of Bishop than what we’ve seen before. It is a Bishop book, so there’s some timey-wimey stuff in there, of course.

AIPT: What is it about Lucas Bishop as a character that resonates with you?

J: He’s a man out of time and I’ve often felt like a man caught between worlds, as a Black artist. I also feel the pressure of history on your shoulders and the sense that you have to save the whole damn world all the time. Bishop carries so much weight, so much anger and hurt with him all the time. Working on this character really helped me explore my own past and expectations.

AIPT: Based on covers and preview art, fan-favorite mutant Tempo features in your mini-series. What can you share about Heather’s role in Bishop’s War College?

J: In some ways, Tempo is the key to the whole series. I did mention “timey-wimey” stuff, and that’s what Tempo brings to the table. But she’s also someone with a complicated and painful past, which makes her an interesting partner/foil for Bishop.

And this week's eXclusive images for all from Sins of Sinister #1:

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I love the variety of characters we're seeing here from across the line!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That image of Storm is rough. Literally...it looks like the artist and colourist just did a rough sketch and decided to use it as a finished image. Granted, they all look like they're at various stages of unfinished, with Emma being the closest to.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-23-2023 at 06:27 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That image of Storm is rough. Literally...it looks like the artist and colourist just did a rough sketch and decided to use it as a finished image.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing, her image and the one of the chimera (?) two above her. Maybe they'll be cleaned up a bit for publication? And they could really give Juggie a little more cake.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I was kinda thinking the same thing, her image and the one of the chimera (?) two above her. Maybe they'll be cleaned up a bit for publication? And they could really give Juggie a little more cake.
    I know! All that size and muscle and....just back. No!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

So curious as to why Shaw is just…on fire. Like is this a “gift” from Mother Righteous?
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I know! All that size and muscle and....just back. No!
    Especially when we know he has monster thicc thighs. Make it make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    So curious as to why Shaw is just…on fire. Like is this a “gift” from Mother Righteous?
    My first thought when I saw flame-on Shaw was "the phoenix?" lol. I'm thinking yeah, MR may have enhanced his powers or added to them.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Bishop mini and so far I am liking what I am hearing from the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I'm definitely looking forward to the Bishop mini and so far I am liking what I am hearing from the writer.
    I like that he intends to show different sides of Bishop that we've never seen before. Describing Tempo as a "partner/foil" to Bishop is also very interesting.

In that teaser with Iron Man, Reed and Forge at the bottom in between Iron Man I wonder could that possibly be Emma? That white blurb, are they possibly attacking the members of the QC who have been compromised?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    My first thought when I saw flame-on Shaw was "the phoenix?" lol. I'm thinking yeah, MR may have enhanced his powers or added to them.
    Looks like he may have taken this bit somewhat seriously, could be that he now has hellfire engulfing him perhaps?

Last edited by Diammandis; 01-23-2023 at 07:28 AM.
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    phoenix? **cof cof

Who's the woman with the green scarf?

Wishing it was Siphon.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Who's the woman with the green scarf?

Wishing it was Siphon.
    shes more than likely a chimera
    She's A Lifebringer