Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Darkhawk: Heart of the Hawk #1 - Thoughts and Spoilers

Hi all. Just wanted to know if anyone read the Darkhawk: Heart of the Hawk one-shot? It was released to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Darkhawk. (30 years, my God, has it been that long?!) Definitely thought it was a great issue that highlighted the two distinguishing features of Chris' life, his street level days and his cosmic ones. Honestly, the stories were quite enjoyable since they cut to the core of those periods in Darkhawk's history. The first story featured Chris back in the 90s with classic villains and characters. It certainly resonated for me as that was when I first came to know the character. Story certainly evoked a lot of nostalgia. At the same time, it was fresh since I wasn't too versed in the Darkhawk mythos of this time. The art was pretty sweet as well. The second story highlighted Darkhawk's time as a cosmic warrior. Again, the feelings of nostalgia were there. I dug Chris' time as a space hero and seeing him transform and deliver his Darkforce beams were a treat. Also, the story really elucidated other aspects. All these years I wondered what the hell was a "Datasong." Finally got a clear explanation. And it seems so cool.

Now the third story....I don't know where this will lead to. We're seeing a mature Chris here. What will happen with the amulet and if Chris stays Darkhawk, that seems to be up in the air. (Me, I'd like Chris should stay as Darkhawk. We've still too many stories to tell with him).

Through all of the stories though, we get to see Chris' personality. It's cool to see the things that drive him, his motivation, his relationship with his father, those are true regardless if he's fighting on an NYC street or up in the outer edges of the galaxy.

All in all, I liked what I read. It reminded me why I like Darkhawk. Glad to know a new Darkhawk series is coming out later as well.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

A very good, solid writeup. I'm not as big a Darkhawk fan as I should be, though that will likely change thanks to this. Thanks.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. The Fingeroth story was my favorite part, I didn't care for the whole Raptors retcon (as much as I like Abnett and Lanning) so seeing classic Darkhawk written in a grounded way was very welcome.

I really hope the third story is not leading to another "new hero takes over role of classic established hero" thing. It's just been done to death in the past 15 years or so. Quasar, Nova, Thor, multiple Venoms, multiple Ghost Riders, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Ms. Marvel, etc., etc. etc. It feels like this happens multiple times every year even if it actually doesn't; it's just as worn out as film remakes and re-boots and slow breathy voiced versions of classic songs. Ms. Marvel worked out fine as all the Marvel named characters outside of Captain Mar-Vell have continued on from/used Mar-Vell's legacy so Kamala Khan was just one of a long line of Ms. Marvels and Captain Marvels (plus Carol wasn't replaced, she just took on the Captain Marvel name so the Ms. Marvel name was open), there were already multiple Ghost Riders (though Johnny and Danny are always still around) before the year 2000 so having more doesn't feel odd (it's just that the title has become watered down far too much), and Captain America has had successors using the name going back many decades so Falcon and Bucky using the name at different times wasn't a big deal (plus they were well established characters that Cap/Steve would trust as Captain America); but other than those three examples nothing has really stuck and the classic heroes always revert to the default in a short time.

wait there is a new Dark Hawk comic and I'M JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS NOW?!

omg I got to pick this up. I grew up on that original 90s run
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I haven't read it yet, in my pile, but there is for certain a new ongoing or mini Darkhawk title coming later in 2021?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I haven't read it yet, in my pile, but there is for certain a new ongoing or mini Darkhawk title coming later in 2021?
    Yeah bro. The announcement was made on the last page of the comic. The series should come later in 2021.

Turning back to the issue, I really enjoyed the fight scenes featured in both stories. I had forgotten how good it was to see Darkhawk shoot a chest beam or use his wings. Having the artists from the respective eras just reminded me of those eras. Now, I said I couldn't believe it was 30 years since Darkhawk premiered. But I can't believe it's been nearly 11 years since War of Kings!
    "I am a man of peace."

Incredible Member

Always glad when Marvel decides to put out any material related to Darkhawk. Frankly still annoyed that they never bothered to roll him over into the Guardians during the start of their last few runs, they had the perfect opportunity to do so and instead we got a one-off tie-in that went no where.

I enjoyed reading this, though Abnett's section was easily my favorite of the three. I find it bittersweet since it presents a good idea of the sort of stories we could have been seeing if Abnett had been allowed to continue with his plans for Darkhawk as a cosmic character. Just feels like another wasted opportunity, especially given that at the time both Nova & the Guardians of the Galaxy were off the board and how the Annihilators never went anywhere beyond their initial run.

While I'm wary about getting a new Darkhawk, I don't feel Chris was really properly utilized in the post-Annihilation landscape, I still intend to see what Marvel has planned for whoever picks up the amulet. Hell maybe they'll finally give us another Puerto Rican character out of it.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Always cool to hear about another Darkhawk comic. Gotta check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wait there is a new Dark Hawk comic and I'M JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS NOW?!

omg I got to pick this up. I grew up on that original 90s run
    Same here, I had no idea. I'll have to pick this one up ASAP.

I was a huge Darkhawk fan as a kid.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Always glad when Marvel decides to put out any material related to Darkhawk. Frankly still annoyed that they never bothered to roll him over into the Guardians during the start of their last few runs, they had the perfect opportunity to do so and instead we got a one-off tie-in that went no where.

I enjoyed reading this, though Abnett's section was easily my favorite of the three. I find it bittersweet since it presents a good idea of the sort of stories we could have been seeing if Abnett had been allowed to continue with his plans for Darkhawk as a cosmic character. Just feels like another wasted opportunity, especially given that at the time both Nova & the Guardians of the Galaxy were off the board and how the Annihilators never went anywhere beyond their initial run.

While I'm wary about getting a new Darkhawk, I don't feel Chris was really properly utilized in the post-Annihilation landscape, I still intend to see what Marvel has planned for whoever picks up the amulet. Hell maybe they'll finally give us another Puerto Rican character out of it.
    Good points. The story indicated as much that Nova and Star-Lord were off the table with the Cancerverse. Reading this story, Darkhawk could have been that new protector of the galaxy.

Just to clarify what was mentioned previously, I liked all of the stories because of Chris' character. Whether he was in Manhattan, in space, or towards the end of his life, Chris' sense of obligation and duty, tryin to make his dad proud, was there.

An excellent issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Good points. The story indicated as much that Nova and Star-Lord were off the table with the Cancerverse. Reading this story, Darkhawk could have been that new protector of the galaxy.

Just to clarify what was mentioned previously, I liked all of the stories because of Chris' character. Whether he was in Manhattan, in space, or towards the end of his life, Chris' sense of obligation and duty, tryin to make his dad proud, was there.

An excellent issue!
    Oh I enjoyed all 3 stories, but 2 was definitely my fav. Darkhawk has always been one of my favorite comic characters and I love seeing him, but I do think that he is someone that works better on the cosmic scene where he has less competition and actually has a reason to be running around up there unlike most of the characters Marvel tends to relocate to space.

I bought the full original run of the 90s Darkhawk series off eBay when I was in college, so while so don't have the nostalgia for the character I might have if I read about him as a kid, I do have an affinity for the character -- so I picked up this issue and really enjoyed it.

I especially liked the details that linked the two main stories together despite happening in different eras.

Seems like we may be getting a new Darkhawk soon, but I don't think Chris is a goner. But I'm curious enough that I may be picking up whatever comes next from this.

-Pav, who prefers the original version of the costume..
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Did Darkhawk appear anywhere after Abnett/Lanning run on cosmic stories?

As for the issue itself, I enjoyed all of the stories. And this kinda works for me as an "ending" since I really don't like the idea of replacing him and probably won't pick that up.

I read the original 90’s Darkhawk so the first story really hit the nostalgia buttons. I lost track of him after that...

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Did Darkhawk appear anywhere after Abnett/Lanning run on cosmic stories?

As for the issue itself, I enjoyed all of the stories. And this kinda works for me as an "ending" since I really don't like the idea of replacing him and probably won't pick that up.
    He got a nice Infinity Countdown tie-in, where the Raptor mytho was extended.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...arkhawk_2018_1
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way