Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    The problem here is some want to, but can't rewrite history. Superman came 1st,he has been established as the top dog, the moral leader of the DCU, and yes a white kid from Kansas. Those happened before all of you were even born,your not changing any of that, you never will, it's written in stone, stone that will be here well after we are all gone.

Now you don't have to accept it, you can talk **** about him, while praising your pet hero, that's fine, go ahead.
    Tbh, the argument "Superman was first" is a fairly weak argument imo to justify he should be established as the most powerful hero in DC. This is the just the same strain of logic where Batman's popularity being used to justify Bat-God/"because he's Batman" .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Tbh, the argument "Superman was first" is a fairly weak argument imo to justify he should be established as the most powerful hero in DC. This is the just the same strain of logic where Batman's popularity being used to justify Bat-God/"because he's Batman" .
    But those two are indeed DC's first and have been the most popular since before my parents were born in the early ''40s. What incentive is there for DC to change their place in the DCU?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

1st among his peers has been his thing for decades before you were all born,it's not about being 1st hero, it's that he has been an outed and shown to be top dog for this whole time, in a shared universe.

These arguments are boiled down to "I don't like him having HIS spot, so I will argue points all day until they agree with me" (they NEVER will)
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Retired

If not Superman, then who? Someone has to be the top super-hero. Who else should it be?

Mighty Member

1st among his peers has been his thing for decades before you were all born,it's not about being 1st hero, it's that he has been an outed and shown to be top dog for this whole time, in a shared universe.

These arguments are boiled down to "I don't like him having HIS spot, so I will argue points all day until they agree with me" (they NEVER will)
    We are not deep into the Silver Age anymore, and something like Flash is faster than Superman as example is far more established than the other way around.

This whole thread wouldn't even exist if Superman would have this spot all the time, and the idea that things can't change for the better is odd anyway, do you still see all the racism, sexism, and silly stereotypes from back then in most modern comics?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If not Superman, then who? Someone has to be the top super-hero. Who else should it be?
    No one, just beings like the Spectre should even approach such a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    No one, just beings like the Spectre should even approach such a spot.
    The Spectre isn't really a superhero but a cosmic being, so someone else has to be the top superhero. They can't all be just as powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    ... and why should DC change the status quo after 80+ years? As I posted yesterday, Jim, what is the incentive to give it to some other less popular character?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    In my opinion, taking out Superman strength is like taking out Flash speed. Being the strongest for the local superheroes is his thing.

Different thing is if he should steamroll the other flying bricks like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Womam or Captain Marvel. They should be all close to him in power level, he shouldnt be able to beat two of them at the same time.

But in 1 on 1 he would be the strongest.

The problem here is some want to, but can't rewrite history. Superman came 1st,he has been established as the top dog, the moral leader of the DCU, and yes a white kid from Kansas. Those happened before all of you were even born,your not changing any of that, you never will, it's written in stone, stone that will be here well after we are all gone.

Now you don't have to accept it, you can talk **** about him, while praising your pet hero, that's fine, go ahead.
    Top superhero doesn't equal strongest superhero. Batman is arguably DC's top hero now anyway, he's certainly their cash cow, just look at the ridiculous amount of comics he has. (The numbers don't lie).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The Spectre isn't really a superhero but a cosmic being, so someone else has to be the top superhero. They can't all be just as powerful.
    What magic prevents the top superheroes from being comparably powerful?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    In my opinion, taking out Superman strength is like taking out Flash speed. Being the strongest for the local superheroes is his thing.

Different thing is if he should steamroll the other flying bricks like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Womam or Captain Marvel. They should be all close to him in power level, he shouldnt be able to beat two of them at the same time.

But in 1 on 1 he would be the strongest.
    And what are Wonder Woman's and Shazam's thing in your reasoning, and since when equals the highest physical strength even winning all 1on1s?

Why don't just give up the concept of the shared verse, if a shared verse apparently means that Superman needs to make other superheroes look bad because it is allegedly his thing, and why don't we discuss about Batman instead of Superman anyway if we use the golden cow argument considering that it is the actual golden cow Batman's thing to make superheroes including Superman look bad?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 04-19-2021 at 03:52 AM.

What magic prevents the top superheroes from being comparably powerful?
    Are you saying every superhero (even ones you don't care about ) should be exactly the same power-wise (no, I'm not saying they should have the same exact powers)?

And what are Wonder Woman's and Shazam's thing in your reasoning, and since when equals the highest physical strength even winning all 1on1s?

Why don't just give up the concept of the shared verse, if a shared verse apparently means that Superman needs to make other superheroes look bad because it is allegedly his thing, and why don't we discuss about Batman instead of Superman anyway if we use the golden cow argument considering that it is the actual golden cow Batman's thing to make superheroes including Superman look bad?
    It is what it is and no amount of discussion here will change it, other than getting more people to like your favorites (without tearing down the others you dislike - that's always a losing preposition).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Are you saying every superhero (even ones you don't care about ) should be exactly the same power-wise (no, I'm not saying they should have the same exact powers)?
    No, i'm saying the top superheroes who are actually defined by that ad fit should be comparably powerful to a degree that nobody could say this 1 person is definitively superior, nobody is saying that Booster Gold or Hawkgirl need to be as powerful as Superman for some reason, that would especially for the latter not even fit.