Question Mutant Technology VS. Mutant Magic: what's the difference?

As far as I know, both of them happen whenever mutants unite their powers to create new abilities or feats, but I've seen these two terms used in different books.
    Mutant magic is being mentioned in Excalibur, while mutant technology is mostly portrayed in SWORD.
    Does anybody know what differentiates them?
    Am I missing something?

Their MUTANT!!!! Nah IDK

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    As far as I know, both of them happen whenever mutants unite their powers to create new abilities or feats, but I've seen these two terms used in different books.
    Mutant magic is being mentioned in Excalibur, while mutant technology is mostly portrayed in SWORD.
    Am I missing something?
    I mean wouldn't the distinction be that one is Magic based in one is technological based?

Like the ritual that apocalypse used to create the Otherworld Gate had nothing to do with mutant Powers it was just magic that can only be performed with those particular mutants

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Firstly, thank you for asking this question because it is something I have struggled with as well.

Technically, the answer should be the same as "How is magic different from technology?" but that is also a question I cannot answer off the cuff. I always see them as two sides of the same coin.

The best I can come up with is that mutant magic is the use of mutant power(s) to create spells to manipulate magic to achieve a result, while mutant science is the use of mutant power(s) to manipulate energy for experiments in the natural world.

I do think there is a lot of crossover between mutant magic and science but I do have problems putting it into words.

If anyone can give a better or more accurate explanation, please go ahead as I know my explanation is basic.

Mutant Technology = combo attacks with mutant powers

Mutant Magic = innate magic that mutants have within themselves but very few seem to know is there.

All mutant magic fits the definition of what mutant technology accomplishes, whereas there are aspects of mutant tech (like the Fastball Special) that couldn’t be considered mutant magic.

And mutant synergy feels more pointed towards mutant power combinations.

BANNED

Tini is gonna tell us lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    She is? When is that gonna happen? lol

She going to focus on Mutant Zoom Calls in X-corps. Mutant Day Trading.
    Last edited by Rnap22; 04-25-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Really...that's be something interesting...for a change.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

The same as between Asgardian magic and Asgardian technology.

You roll againt INT for mutant magic and against DEX for mutant technlogy.

Lol not my job. I'm just going to read this one. Lmao but I would suggest reading mystic arcana.the age of mutant magic is nigh.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-26-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Mutant magic just seems like magic that has to be spoken or gestured requires speech and hands, so there is no reason someone can't come up with some sort of ritual or spell that has components only some mutants are physically capable of.

Mutant technology is Ewing putting a label on what Hickman is doing with mutants becoming components of something bigger, basically a mutant 'machine' that will outperform the AI machines they are competing with.

Both mutant magic and mutant technology rely on mutant powers to work. The difference being one is based in marvel magic and th other is based off of some form of technology. When i say marvel magic, i mean magic works a certain way in the marvel universe and you would have to look it up to expand upon how it all works because it spans decades of exposition and different comics. Technology in the marvel world is also a pretty vast subject as you have krakaon technology, alien tech, earth tech, etc. Though i would also argue you could even call products of certain powers mutant technology like in the case of forge or doctor nemesis. With sword, they use alien technology but the portals and such they use are mutant powers combined with alien tech combined with wiz kid’s powers so yeah it all gets technical and to try and define “mutant technology” really depends on the context of what is being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I mean wouldn't the distinction be that one is Magic based in one is technological based?

Like the ritual that apocalypse used to create the Otherworld Gate had nothing to do with mutant Powers it was just magic that can only be performed with those particular mutants
    Along this line...

If you've been reading S.W.O.R.D., you would have seen that there are listed backups for each of The Six.

"Technology..." in the sense that a given part(let's say, an oil filter or a transmission...) can be taken out and replaced, and the machine will still operate just fine.

The example in Excalibur?

I always got the impression that it had to be that specific combination of mutants.