Default Newbie with a ton of minty Marvel

I am new to this forum. I recently was consigned about 500 Marvel comics to sell on eBay. All appear to be mint or near mint. I have been a coin & vintage fishing lure collector for decades but know zip about comics.

I was able to find an excellent website (https://comicbookrealm.com/) to help with pricing. I was disappointed to find that prices for most 1970s-80s Marvel titles were so low. Nearly all of the ones I have appear to have never been opened and are stored in individual soft plastic liners. I have not removed any. But some of the buyers of my eBay auctions have opened the liners and have told me the insides are just as nice as the covers.

All were sold on eBay as auctions and most were sold as groups due to low book values. Trouble is most went for very little. I use the same name (all lower case) on eBay as here (capt.john) so you can look up my closed auctions to see what happened. Any suggestions on what I should do differently to get better prices for my consignor? I still have about 300 more I need to sell. Don't really want to open them up to take interior photos since most have low book values. You can email me directly if you like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Capt.John; 04-15-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Another auction site you could check out is Hipcomic.com - I haven't used them to sell, but I've made a couple of purchases. They're nowhere as big as eBay, where the competition is stiff and it's easy to have your listings go unnoticed (or lost at sea, if you prefer ). That can be a good thing, because everyone there is looking specifically for comics.

This forum, however, has a strict "No Soliciting" policy, so we can't directly post anything for sale here.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

OK, thanks for the info. I have tried to adjust original post to conform to policy.

What's the best way to sell bulk, runs of books?
    Like, say I have McFarlane's entire Amazing Spider-Man run, including the really valuable issues, and want to sell them all together?
    Is it even worth doing it like that, or should I take the time (that I don't really have) and sell them one by one?

Incredible Member

I have no idea how much less it might yield than ebay, and I'm hesistant to recommend it because the owner became obnoxiously political in his business newsletters as a Trumper, but MyComicShop is a huge online store that buys a ridiculous amount of comics. It may be worth an email to them to inquire about what they might give you for lots, and save you the trouble of going through the ebay process.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    What's the best way to sell bulk, runs of books?
    Like, say I have McFarlane's entire Amazing Spider-Man run, including the really valuable issues, and want to sell them all together?
    Is it even worth doing it like that, or should I take the time (that I don't really have) and sell them one by one?
    eBay can be weird. I've tried to sell full runs that include a couple key issues, and they don't move. Then I've pulled the keys and sold them separately for just shy of what I wanted for the whole run. I guess if money isn't an issue, some people just don't want extra comics they aren't interested in...? *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I have no idea how much less it might yield than ebay, and I'm hesistant to recommend it because the owner became obnoxiously political in his business newsletters as a Trumper, but MyComicShop is a huge online store that buys a ridiculous amount of comics. It may be worth an email to them to inquire about what they might give you for lots, and save you the trouble of going through the ebay process.
    This right here. And thankfully they stopped including the political rants in the newsletter, and instead just include a link to his blog.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This right here. And thankfully they stopped including the political rants in the newsletter, and instead just include a link to his blog.
    He still keeps it up, just slightly less obnoxiously. A few weeks ago he included a rant that he, and not the government, will determine what restaurants are safe to eat at (really a rant about capacity restrictions and masks). Like, okay guy, let's just ignore all the big bad government regulation that ensures restaurants take care of roach problems, staff wears proper gear, water is hot enough to sanitize dishes, etc. No individual can or would be allowed to make those inspections and determinations on their own! He's just a boomer coasting off the "good ol' days" of his father's generation that wasn't so good for everyone. Unfortunately, sometimes he's the only one with that oddball book you need at a decent price.

^ ^ ^

Haha, I must've skipped that rant while skimming through his ramblings about the Texas weather...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009