Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I'm really surprised to see Miracle Molly getting the next Secret Files issue, but I'm definitely down to learn more about her.

I've got to give Tynion credit- as someone who has been enjoying his run and the new characters- he really is pushing out material about his new characters as fast as he can. Punchline got a One-shot, and now the Joker back-ups; Clownhunter got an annual, with a Secret Files issue and back-ups in Batman coming; Ghostmaker has the current Batman back-up; while Miracle Molly has this.

I thought she was a lot of fun in the recent Batman issue, and has potential moving forward, so I'm curious to see what he does with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    I'm really surprised to see Miracle Molly getting the next Secret Files issue, but I'm definitely down to learn more about her.

I've got to give Tynion credit- as someone who has been enjoying his run and the new characters- he really is pushing out material about his new characters as fast as he can. Punchline got a One-shot, and now the Joker back-ups; Clownhunter got an annual, with a Secret Files issue and back-ups in Batman coming; Ghostmaker has the current Batman back-up; while Miracle Molly has this.

I thought she was a lot of fun in the recent Batman issue, and has potential moving forward, so I'm curious to see what he does with her.
    I think they're really kind of rushing this "look at this hit, breakout, character!" trait for all of them but I guess Tynion knows you have to get new characters out there as prominently as possible sometimes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they're really kind of rushing this "look at this hit, breakout, character!" trait for all of them but I guess Tynion knows you have to get new characters out there as prominently as possible sometimes.
    I feel for Punchline, anyways, it kinda worked. He teased her throughout Their Dark Designs, she had a sizeable role during Joker War, got a short in the Joker 80th Anniversary, before her own One-Shot and now continuing back-up releases in Joker. Admittedly, Punchline's also been my favorite Tynion creation so far, so I'm biased towards her.

But it does feel like Tynion may be running into the Snyder-problem. If I remember correctly, Snyder talked about how it was difficult trying to give both Harper and Duke enough focus to push them, leading to Harper retiring post B&R Eternal, while Duke has managed a consistent, if relatively supporting, presence through All Star Batman, King's Batman, Metal, the Duke miniseries, and the Outsiders.

Tynion already has a co-writer helping with Punchline; Clownhunter got an annual for his backstory, just to vanish for six months, and now that he is back, he's got two different writers handling him- one on the Secret Files issue, a totally different writer on the back-ups. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else tackle Ghostmaker in his next solo work, whether it's a Secret Files issue, or a mini-series (which wouldn't surprise me, especially if there turns out to be any truth to the CW rumors), or more back-ups. Now his attention seems to be on Miracle Molly.

He seems to be really about striking while the iron is hot.

Extraordinary Member

BATMAN SECRET FILES: PEACEKEEPER-01
    Story by JAMES TYNION IV and ED BRISSON
    Pencils and inks by JOSHUA HIXSON
    Cover by RAFAEL SARMENTO
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES
    Variant cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
    1:25 Variant by RAFAEL SARMENTO
    $5.99 US (Both Covers Card Stock)
    ON SALE 10/19/21

Picking up after the events of Fear State: Alpha, follow Sean Mahoney, a.k.a. Peacekeeper-01, in the wake of his exposure to highly potent Fear Toxin at the hands of the Scarecrow! Now, dosed with terror and facing a lifetime of fear and insecurity, Mahoney has found himself frantically reflecting on his past as a GCPD officer, and then as a prison guard at Arkham Asylum—all while desperately attempting to keep his mind from fracturing. Will Peacekeeper-01 give into fear…or become terror incarnate?

Incredible Member

As someone who has been enjoying Tynion's new characters, I will say that I don't see Peacekeeper-01 lasting beyond the Magistrate storyline. He doesn't feel memorable enough or distinctive enough to remain relevant amongst Batman's rogue gallery, so I'm admittedly surprised to see him get a Secret Files issue. My bet was on the Gardener.

Building off my comments from last month, Tynion definitely seems to have a style. Introduce a new character as a supporting role in the story, (Punchline, Clownhunter, Miracle Molly, Peacekepper-01) push the character across the next set of issues, then give them a standalone special that touches upon their current story, while also revealing their backstory. (Punchline Special, Batman Annual #5, Secret Files: Miracle Molly, Secret Files: Peacekeeper-01)

So where's my Mayor Nakano and Simon Saint Secret Files ?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So where's my Mayor Nakano and Simon Saint Secret Files ?
    Haha. My top three guesses for next month's Secret Files issue are the Gardner, Simon Saint, or Peacekeeper X. Tynion talked about the Peacekeeper-01 issue in his newsletter, and confirmed that he still has one more Secret Files issue to go, though did not reveal who it is about.

We’ve hinted at a bit of this in the main title, but I have this whole mythology that lives in my head about the GCPD that I’ve always wanted to make canon because it just makes absolute sense that it would be this way. Basically, when Jim Gordon was made Police Commissioner, he would have purged the entire department of a whole bunch of the most obviously corrupt officers. And the families of those officers would have developed a deep-seated grudge against how Gordon ran the GCPD, and his relationship with Batman.

Sean Mahoney came from a family of corrupt cops. The sort of folk who moonlit as armed security for the Falcone Crime Family in the pre-Batman days, and who were all on the take, but they were embedded enough in the power structure of Gotham that they were untouchable until Gordon took the top job. That would have happened right around when Sean Mahoney was looking to sign up. He was raised believing that he would be one of the finest officers in the history of Gotham, but Gordon wouldn’t let a member of such a corrupt family join up… So Sean ended up as a prison guard at Arkham Asylum, and the resentment started to grow, until it all boiled over at A-Day, and then Simon Saint had the clever idea of putting him in one of the most advanced suits of Police Armor the world has ever seen! What could go wrong?!

This Secret Files one shot tells a bit of that story, and I got the amazing Ed Brisson to help me write it. Ed is one of the best crime writers in comics right now to put it all down on paper. (Seriously, if you haven’t read MURDERBOOK, you are cheating yourself out of some very good crime comics). This is the first time we’re getting to work together since we were on team BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL, and I’m very very excited for you all to see what we’ve cooked up for you. We’ve also got the phenomenal Joshua Hixson on art here… I’ve loved Josh’s work for years and years, and we might have a TOP SECRET thing in the works for you on the back-burner. Also want to give a special shout out to Rafael Sarmento for the amazing cover above!

I’ve got one more Secret Files one-shot to go in and around Fear State, and I’m very excited to announce who I’m collaborating with on that…

But all of that will come next month.

She's still wearing the mask .

hmm, so it's looking like 2/2 so far of these Secret Files ending on a "to be continued". I wonder if that's the approach they are gonna be taking with all of these stories, basically using Secret Files as a pilot factory for storylines to be picked up in other series.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

The Huntress issue was basically just a continuation of the story line from TEC that will be continued in TEC, I don't really get why they put this in a "Secret Files" issue instead of just putting this in TEC.

I mean the Signal issue was at least a teaser to some upcoming arc.

I thought that we would either get oneshots, or some sort of origin story in these books. This is kind of disappointing imo.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The Huntress issue was basically just a continuation of the story line from TEC that will be continued in TEC, I don't really get why they put this in a "Secret Files" issue instead of just putting this in TEC.

I mean the Signal issue was at least a teaser to some upcoming arc.

I thought that we would either get oneshots, or some sort of origin story in these books. This is kind of disappointing imo.
    Very disappointing! This doesn't make any sense. "Secret Files" issues should always be self-contained in some way (as you said: oneshots or origin stories).

Those guys at DC are really messing up even the simplest things ...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post

I'm more confused that this is allowed by editorial. I mean it's been allowed for a while, another Snyder-Tynion OC Talon Calvin Rose got a series immediately after introduction back in New 52, but we haven't got a JSA book, not even a feature, in a long time, even Tim Drake took a long time to be featured. Like, what is the criteria?

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Nepotism, what else

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Very disappointing! This doesn't make any sense. "Secret Files" issues should always be self-contained in some way (as you said: oneshots or origin stories).

Those guys at DC are really messing up even the simplest things ...
    I think those books should had least a short summary of the origin of these characters, for readers who are not familiar with them and/or to clarify what is now continuity and what isn't.

I mean there is no post flashpoint origin story for Huntress, and her continuity is kind of messy at the moment.