Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman Secret Files Announced

Batman fans everywhere know that there’s a lot of shady stuff going on in Gotham City and even the Caped Crusader can’t be everywhere at once, especially now. Fortunately, there are plenty of Bat-Family heroes on hand to take up the battle against crime! This July, DC launches Batman Secret Files, a new monthly series of one-shots featuring Batman’s partners in crimefighting. In this series, Bat-fans will see new adventures in Gotham City, exploring the deep bench of heroes the Dark Knight has inspired.
    Batman Secret Files: The Signal #1

The return of Duke Thomas, a.k.a. The Signal, kicks off this series on Tuesday, July 6. In a story written by Tony Patrick (Batman and The Signal) with art by Christian Duce (The Flash, Detective Comics, Justice League vs. Suicide Squad). The Signal comes back as Gotham City’s daytime protector after his time with the Outsiders. But during his sabbatical from his hometown, everything about the city and the people closest to him changed. And the mystery of the White Market, a deadly source of weapons being trafficked into Gotham City that even Batman can’t track down, will only push the Signal further away from everything he knows and into a brand-new world of danger.

This 40-page one-shot features a main cover by Ken Lashley with a variant cover by Cully Hamner (Batman and The Signal).
    Batman Secret Files: Huntress #1

On Tuesday July 27, Detective Comics and Eisner Award-winning writer Mariko Tamaki teams up with acclaimed Stray Bullets writer/artist David Lapham for a new tale featuring Gotham City’s Violet Vengeance! Huntress has been through a LOT lately...including her brain being invaded by a violent parasite bent on sending her on a deadly slugfest. If that wasn’t enough, now she has to deal with enhanced abilities too, thanks to a villain by the name of Vile. This parasite has given her the ability to see through the eyes of his victims and this is not her idea of a good time! Huntress isn’t one to be played with, and she’s on the hunt for Vile, with a crossbow bolt with his name on it!

Also weighing in at 40 pages, this one-shot features a main cover by Irvin Rodriguez (Future State: Robin Eternal), with a card stock variant by Riccardo Federici.

Extraordinary Member

Variants:

This seems like a good way to spotlight other members of the Batfamily or Gotham characters .

What other characters are we predicting get an issue:

My money is on:

Batwoman

Batwing

Ghostmaker

and Red Robin.

I don't think we will see Batgirl's since they are a stick on for an ongoing.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

The wording makes it sound like everyone but Bruce himself will get a one-shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The wording makes it sound like everyone but Bruce himself will get a one-shot
    some characters im not sure it makes sense to get a one shot.

Nightwing, Harley, Catwoman and Robin have there own ongoings so don't really need one. Bluebird appears in the joker backup. Red Hood is featuring in Batman Urban Legends etc

Sounds good. Balked a little at the idea of meta Huntress but that sounds temporary, so I'm in. Hope this means Truth & Justice can exclusively focus on the non-bat characters after Kate's Issue.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I thought the point of urban legends was for stories like this, not that I won't be reading these..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I thought the point of urban legends was for stories like this, not that I won't be reading these..
    I'm guessing Urban legit will be more for mini arcs and this will be lean more toward being expressly a character showcase. I'm beyond psyched for more Duke!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I mean I’d rather buy a cheaper one-shot of Duke and Helena over a $8 anthology issue, but that’s just my personal opinion
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Bunch of dead weight that Batman has to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Bunch of dead weight that Batman has to carry.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

I'll admit I am excited about this. As someone who's only really interested in the Bat-family currently, I'm totally here for spotlight one-shots focused on the tertiary characters who don't currently have a regular presence in the other books. I was curious about where Duke was, and now it looks like we'll get the answer.

I am surprised because it seemed like this was the original concept for Urban Legends, a catch-all for the supporting characters of Gotham. More opportunities for them, though, the merrier.

It's also interesting to me that the Huntress issue appears to be a follow-up/spin-off of Tamaki's first 'Tec arc. I wonder if these issues will serve as lead-ins and lead-outs to the main books, as well as gauging interest for further mini-series and ongoings. I wouldn't mind seeing another one-shot to expand the Blue Bird/Punchline back-up from the Joker.

I'm curious who will get the next issues. I'd love to see Clownhunter, if he's not Red-X, get a follow-up since he's currently MIA, and I wouldn't mind seeing Ghosthunter get something set presently, since his back-ups in Batman seem more focused on giving him his own rogue's gallery and showcasing his past. I'd also love to see Kate Kane, Tim Drake, maybe even Azrael get one. I wonder if they'd ever attempt a Ryan Wilder issue, since since has been introduced into continuity, even if she's not currently connected to the Bat-fam.

I wonder, based on the naming scenario, if we could see characters get more than one, say a Batman Secret Files: The Signal #2. It could be another standalone story that builds off the previous. Food for though.t.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m here for the Huntress solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    some characters im not sure it makes sense to get a one shot.

Nightwing, Harley, Catwoman and Robin have there own ongoings so don't really need one. Bluebird appears in the joker backup. Red Hood is featuring in Batman Urban Legends etc
    But for how many issues is that Red Hood story suppose to run?