Mighty Member

Default Disney+ 2019: late to the party?

I'm kind of surprised that a Disney streaming service wasn't launched earlier. I mean starting with Phase 2 of the MCU we could have had shows debuting a lot sooner. I wonder why they waited a decade plus before launching...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that a Disney streaming service wasn't launched earlier. I mean starting with Phase 2 of the MCU we could have had shows debuting a lot sooner. I wonder why they waited a decade plus before launching...
    FOX. they needed more content to really make a go of it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    FOX. they needed more content to really make a go of it.
    So Disney didn't have anything on the Marvel side pre Fox to work with? Sure they didn't have FF, X-Men, or Spidey to use, but I'm sure they had some IP's to use.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Movie studios at that time were ok just having a piece of the pie. It wasn't until much later that companies wanted the whole pie not just the piece.

Disney have always been incredibly protective of their IP, which suggests that they always had some sort of direct-selling vertical integration strategy in mind for the longer term, even if they had no idea what form that would take. It's not a small thing to launch a streaming platform like they have and have it running on a global scale thugh, so I'd suspect the project had been incubating ever since Netflix's streaming platform became the runaway success it is.

Sometimes waiting for the “pioneer” in a new venture to work out what works/what doesn’t is a good thing.

Being first isn’t always as good as being the best (which still remains to be seen). Netflix very well could have failed horribly. So much of what they do is dependent on other industries improving, as well. TVs have upgraded to not need a separate adapter to stream. Internet technology has improved to allow high quality streaming. Wireless technology often ties the two together.