Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Is being a warrior WW's biggest and most consistent trait in her 80 years?

So i was reading comments on youtube about the terrorist scene in jl. And one person thinks that WW was not raised to spread the amazon way. That her message of peace, equallity and truth are second next to being a warrior. This person says she is first and foremost a warrior. And that this has been her most consistent and most present trait in her 80 years. Even saying that being a warrior supercedes being a hero. Do you agree with this? This is the quote

''She wasn't raised to spread anything because although the Amazons being warriors is the most consistent thing throughout all Wonder Woman history; the next most consistent thing is Queen Hippolyta not wanting Diana to leave the island and go to Man's world. Hence why she's always had to sneak off the island, disguise herself in the champion contest, etc. Truth is, the heroes are vastly different and before Wonder Woman is anything else, she's a warrior. Her being a warrior even supercedes her being a hero. Doesn't mean she isn't for peace, progress, justice, etc. It just means for as smart, beautiful, and peaceful as she is she's ever bit the warrior as well.

It seems like you're almost threatened by Wonder Woman being a strong woman who has the strength of character to make decisions that Superman and Batman can't. Threatened by the fact that Wonder Woman, unlike Batman, wasn't traumatized as a child and can take out the bad guy that need it without losing herself in the process. Threatened by the fact that unlike Superman, Wonder Woman doesn't get caught up on what the world thinks of her. She remains as strong as ever. She still has love and compassion, but people like the terrorists in this scene don't deserve her mercy. She even shows in this scene her strength of character. After busting the heads of the terrorists she consoles and comforts the innocents around her telling them that they are safe and everything is going to be ok.

Before Wonder Woman was a hero. Hell, before she could even fly; she was Diana, Princess of Themyscira and she was a warrior. That is literally her oldest and most consistent trait. Saying she's not a warrior first is like saying Batman didn't see his parents killed or that he's not a Wayne or that he's not rich. Taking warrior away from Wonder Woman would be like taking Kryptonian away from Superman, the ring from Green Lantern, the ability to communicate with marine life away from Aquaman, etc. It's literally who/what she is and it's where all the authors who tell a Wonder Woman story start''

I'm going to take a guess and assume the commenter has never read a comic featuring Wonder Woman that was made before the year 2010...assuming they've ever read a WW comic.

Its a youtube comment, already tells me everything I need to know. No, this person is wrong, seeing as the only origins he mentions is Nu52 and the movie. Frankly, he can think what he wants but he doesn't actually seem interested in Diana as her whole self.

While I can agree that she is a warrior, it is in no way her primary trait, its one aspect of her persona.

I'm not threated by a Diana that kills, I'm annoyed that people seem to think this gives writers a pass to have her swing a sword and shield around at any foe. There is no thought put in to generic warrior woman, all the times in the past Diana has killed thinking sentiant beings (ignoring mindless monsters and demons and parademons since everyone else does) Its always reactionary and placed in a sorrowful or an unfortunately necessary light. Its not glorified the way Snyder does it. Snyder is pizza cutter killing, all edge no point.

Before she was a hero, she was a princess....that's it, part of her is being a warrior but so is being compassionate, kind hearted, adventurous, nature loving, etc...

People like this only like Diana blindly killing because it makes them feel like its "adult and not for kids".

Edit: I mean come on, he says "Before Wonder Woman was a hero. Hell, before she could even fly; she was Diana, Princess of Themyscira and she was a warrior." That's a BIG "and" there my guy.
    Last edited by Perseus; 04-15-2021 at 09:30 PM.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ok first off why are you reading YouTube comments? The people there are casuals at best, outright morons at worst.

Second obviously anyone who has read Marston’s stuff knows that person is wrong. The whole point of the lasso is it’s a non-lethal weapon and that WW reformed her Rogues. Granted it was through bondage and brainwashing but Diana stabbing people with a sword is a relatively new take, not something someone who is familiar with her publication history would say has always been essential. Hell as bad as the Silver and Bronze Ages were for her, both of those eras clearly prove that person wrong. When was she a “warrior” while trying to marry Steve for the 50th time?

Let me save you some pain and tell you to not read YouTube comments unless you want to be exposed to idiots who think Batman can beat anyone with preptime, Superman is a moron who always goes evil, Flashpoint is the “best” Flash story, and various other idiotic takes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I do kind of admire how this guy tries to conflate his take on Wonder Woman with female empowerment. Apparently, believing Diana is and should be diplomatic and compassionate means you fear strong women.

Worth noting, also, that the commenter equates "strength" with "ability to murder and destroy."

All it really reveals is that there are a number of fans out there who have no qualms whatsoever with Wonder Woman being, for all intents and purposes, a hypocrite. They'll praise her saying she believes in love and peace, but only so long as she engages in bloodshed and brutality every step of the way. I'll bet anything the commentator was furious Diana didn't kill Max Lord in WW84.

It's important to note there is entire generations of people of who grew up on the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, George Perez's Wondear Woman, the JLA Cartoon Wonder Woman and now Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman movies. It's mainly the melenials who grew up on the JLA cartoon and never read a comic book or watched the Lynda Carter that get her depiction so warped, and it's already being replaced by people who understand her better because they read the comics, where she was only depicted as such a "warrior woman" for 5 out of her 80 years. And the generation who grew up on OG Wonder Woman is still alive and kicking.

There's also those DC cartoons geared towards a younger audience that shouldn't be taken out of consideration either. I think, when you try to write Wonder Woman without taking into account that there will be little kids watching, that's when you get a problem (also don't confuse "keep in mind there could be kids watching" with "Wonder Woman has to has a PG rating". Definitely not the case, as both WW movies are good examples of that. You just have to have WW herself be fun and have fun characters for her to interact with.)

But yeah, YouTube comments are where brain cells go to die, same with other large scale social media platforms. On the very few instances I've engaged with people there about WW, it's clearly they never watched anything but the Snyder films. And the Snyder films dont have as large an audience as twitter might lead you to believe.

Edit: Also I think this person is confusing warrior training with being alright with killing when she doesn't have to. Just like Batman who gained knowledge on how to kill people so he would know how not too, it's the same boat with Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-16-2021 at 01:45 AM.

The internet is full of people who can peddle bullshit in the most convincing and eloquent manner.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

DC really wants you to believe so if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I do kind of admire how this guy tries to conflate his take on Wonder Woman with female empowerment. Apparently, believing Diana is and should be diplomatic and compassionate means you fear strong women.

Worth noting, also, that the commenter equates "strength" with "ability to murder and destroy."

All it really reveals is that there are a number of fans out there who have no qualms whatsoever with Wonder Woman being, for all intents and purposes, a hypocrite. They'll praise her saying she believes in love and peace, but only so long as she engages in bloodshed and brutality every step of the way. I'll bet anything the commentator was furious Diana didn't kill Max Lord in WW84.
    I'm sure the same people who have no problem with Wonder Woman being a hypocrite are the same people who have no problem with Batman being a paranoid nut job who has plans to hurt is friends kept on file.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Clearly not her most consistent trait, no.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

I believe Incredibles handled THAT particular debate rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I'm sure the same people who have no problem with Wonder Woman being a hypocrite are the same people who have no problem with Batman being a paranoid nut job who has plans to hurt is friends kept on file.
    Tower of Babel did a NUMBER to Batman... Holy hell I hated that particular story getting bits and pieces adapted so much (i.e. also see: prep time).

Incredibles does it again.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-16-2021 at 01:22 PM.