Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Ed...
I am not sure if you know him in person or not, but this message board operates on the presumption of anonymity in any case. So I take it you don't in fact know Brubaker in real life.

If that's so, I think it would be most courteous and cordial if you don't presume to use his first name, especially since you voice opinions to the effect of making any friendship with him in real life impossible. It's a bit ghoulish to spend several message boards voicing contempt for a writer/creator and then addressing him by first-name to essentially condescend to a professional writer who knows the business and the score far better than any of us here.

What he wants is for them to be generous since his work was such a hit and give him more money than they had original agreed on.
In most other media businesses - music, films, TV - more success means people negotiate higher raises, higher wages, higher royalties and so on and so forth. IN a non-creative business if you do good at a job it's expected you get bonuses, rewards, a raise, a promotion.

So yeah, if his work is successful, Brubaker is within his rights to ask for more.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
Why pedantiic?
I meant responding to the fact that Brubaker worked for Marvel before it was bought by Disney.

I was (and am) interested in your answer.
I get that.

In general, I think I’ve just become more pragmatic (or cynical) as I get older.
Being pragmatic or cynical is a useful coping mechanism and a decent strategy of survival, but it's not by any means a normative one.

Things being unfair and difficult doesn't mean you should accept or validate the status-quo or move against people voicing complaints about the same.