Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ed Brubabker Criticizes Disney/Marvel For Lack Of Winter Soldier Royalties

Brubaker opened up about his strange relationship with the Winter Soldier’s rise to prominence in the MCU, from how it would take weeks after Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s Comic-Con announcement before Marvel Studios reached out to him about the news, to turning down a check for a thank you credit in Civil War that he described as “an insult,” and how the writer makes more money from his brief cameo in Winter Soldier’s flashback sequences than he does in residuals from having brought the Winter Soldier to life in the first place. “As the years went on, I just started to think ‘how come we’re not getting anything for this?’,” Brubaker wondered. “We can get a ‘Thanks to’ or a credit, but these movies are making billions of dollars, and it feels like we just kind of got a bad deal.”

It’s created an animus for the writer that he now feels seeing Bucky rise to even higher prominence in the current moment, co-starring in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+. “I think I might be the only person in America who is not excited about this show,” said Brubaker, who has not watched any of the series so far. “When I see ads for [The Falcon and the Winter Soldier], it kinda makes me feel sick to my stomach.”

He added, “As a company, why would [Marvel] want that to be the way the creators feel? When I work with people I try to give them the best deal possible, and if something ends up being a bigger thing, I’ll try to actually adjust their deal ... I want everybody I work with to feel like they got a really good deal, and they were treated well.”
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvels-wint...omi-1846690659

So, he's upset that he doesn't get credit for adding long hair and a cyborg arm to a character that was created back in World War II?

He didn't create Bucky.
    He didn't even create bitter jaded, gun totting Bucky that had been kept on ice. (We already had Nomad.)

All he did was put some spit and polish on a character that was already there and used elements from another character that was already there.

brubaker captain america is a flop but if they are going to adapt his material they should cut the whole creative team a check, they probably didn't even put everyone who made the books they adapted into the credits
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, he's upset that he doesn't get credit for adding long hair and a cyborg arm to a character that was created back in World War II?

He didn't create Bucky.
    He didn't even create bitter jaded, gun totting Bucky that had been kept on ice. (We already had Nomad.)

All he did was put some spit and polish on a character that was already there and used elements from another character that was already there.
    That's still an issue with characters copyrights, and something I'm afraid leads to more and more writers creating their own OC instead of using pre-exsiting C/D list characters.

Let's say there is a Thunderbolt movie and Songbird becomes the breakthrough character. Who would get the royalties? Busiek and Bagley or Screaming Mimi's creators?
    Who would get the money for Layla Miller? Brian Bendis or Peter David?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    That's still an issue with characters copyrights, and something I'm afraid leads to more and more writers creating their own OC instead of using pre-exsiting C/D list characters.

Let's say there is a Thunderbolt movie and Songbird becomes the breakthrough character. Who would get the royalties? Busiek and Bagley or Screaming Mimi's creators?
    Who would get the money for Layla Miller? Brian Bendis or Peter David?
    It's a simple answer. Who made the character? If Layla Miller came from Brian Bendis he'd get the credit. If you made Layla become "The Amazing Ted" you'd get credit for creating The Amazing Ted but you wouldn't own Layla Miller. If The Amazing Ted was a separate character you'd own The Amazing Ted. Rob Liefeld is credited for the creation of Deadpool so he'd get the credit for that even if Wade Wilson took on another identity. If Deadpool became Spider-man you'd see credit to Liefeld and Spider-man's creators as well.

This all assumes it's not work for hire which often comic works are and so nobody would own any of it anyways. Oftentimes even if it's not you'll find creators just don't think to do anything with that because you never know what's going to be popular anyways let alone reprinted. It's an all too common story.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Controversies like this are very interesting for how they reveal people for what they truly are.

It's likewise an extension of what was discussed here:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...46#post5484146

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, he's upset that he doesn't get credit for adding...
    A character who was:
    -- Aged Up.
    -- Converted from innocent sidekick to immortal brainwashed assassin.
    -- The name and title "Winter Soldier"
    -- The explanation and new origin story.
    -- The concept that made the revived Bucky into a serialized character.

...long hair...
    He doesn't have "long hair" on the TV Show but he has everything else Brubaker got him.

He didn't create Bucky.
    His point is that he created the Winter Soldier, the name and mantle on which the TV show is sold and promoted as well as the most beloved of the Captain America movies.

All he did was put some spit...
    Pro-Tip: Never give people ammunition against yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It's a simple answer. Who made the character?
    Well Bucky was created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, i.e. the version of the character who was a Robin-expy. They didn't create "The Winter Soldier".

Fantastic Member

Bubaker and Epting didn't create Bucky, but they certainly created the concept of The Winter Soldier and the surrounding mythos. Let's be real: if not for Brubaker, Bucky wouldn't have made it through the first movie, if he was even included at all. They're making bank over a concept that exists due to Brubaker. Furthermore, so many themes presented in Brubaker's run feel almost foundational to the arc of MCU Cap. While I think Marvel is technically in the legal right, it's still a shitty thing to do considering how much they owe to Brubaker's run.

Mighty Member

Same problem since Watchmen. That's why I have no respect for writers like Tom king, who know how this line of work is hard, and betray their fellow workers, like Alan Moore.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    Bubaker and Epting didn't create Bucky, but they certainly created the concept of The Winter Soldier and the surrounding mythos. Let's be real: if not for Brubaker, Bucky wouldn't have made it through the first movie, if he was even included at all. They're making bank over a concept that exists due to Brubaker. Furthermore, so many themes presented in Brubaker's run feel almost foundational to the arc of MCU Cap. While I think Marvel is technically in the legal right, it's still a shitty thing to do considering how much they owe to Brubaker's run.
    Brubaker isn't disputing the legality, just the moral aspects.

I think Marvel not offering any appreciable rewards for freelancer contributions especially when they as a company have oodles of money and dollars and as Brubaker noted, many of the execs credit as Executive Producers on the Netflix Shows contributing to stuff they didn't do or create, is immoral and wrong, and just bad policy overall.

Comics' Credits and exploitation is a complex subject and not every issue is the same. The issue with Brubaker isn't identical to Kirby's issues or Siegel and Shuster's, or Bill Finger's for example.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Same problem since Watchmen. That's why I have no respect for writers like Tom king, who know how this line of work is hard, and betray their fellow workers, like Alan Moore.
    Tom King is a profound disappointment as a laborer in the comics business. He preened as a fancypants comics writer but first chance he got, he shived the guy whose style he's spent a better of decade copying.

Say what you want about Grant Morrison, and Alan Moore has said plenty about them, but even they didn't do something like this.

Ed Brubaker by the way publicly defended Alan Moore in that time:
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-creat...of-alan-moore/
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 04-16-2021 at 07:39 AM.

have a settlement...? I guess.. what does Mr. Brubaker write currently? Indie work?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    have a settlement...? I guess.. what does Mr. Brubaker write currently? Indie work?
    Creator owned work with Sean Philipps which actually sells decently and is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He doesn't have "long hair" on the TV Show but he has everything else Brubaker got him.
    He did have it in Avengers 3-4 and Captain America 2-3 though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He did have it in Avengers 3-4 and Captain America 2-3 though.
    Perceptive.

Extraordinary Member

The fact is that the comics provide a lot of story ideas for the MCU, and the people who create these stories don't have any right to be rewarded for this, unlike the screenwriters who adapt their work. If someone came into Kevin Feige's office and pitched the story of Bucky becoming the Winter Soldier, that person would get lots of money if Feige decided to use it.

They weren't cheated or anything, and they can't sue -- as Brubaker has said, that's just the deal they made when they agreed to do work-for-hire -- but of course they would feel resentful.

And going public with this resentment makes sense, not just as a way of venting but because if it gets enough coverage, Disney might feel pressured into giving more compensation to the people who came up with their story ideas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The fact is that the comics provide a lot of story ideas for the MCU, and the people who create these stories don't have any right to be rewarded for this, unlike the screenwriters who adapt their work.
    If you adapt a novel or a play, or a non-fiction book, you do get royalties and a payment for an adapted screenplay that you don't get when it's a comics storyline being adapted.

If someone came into Kevin Feige's office and pitched the story of Bucky becoming the Winter Soldier, that person would get lots of money if Feige decided to use it.
    That's because Hollywood's a Union Town and they have unions like WGA and DGA which, while not perfect, are miles better than any equivalent setup in the comics business.

And going public with this resentment makes sense, not just as a way of venting but because if it gets enough coverage, Disney might feel pressured into giving more compensation to the people who came up with their story ideas.
    Well Disney remember is a million times worse than Marvel.

The superhero comics business is exploitative but it's nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to how the comics artists behind the Donald Duck comics are treated. Don Rosa especially:
    https://career-end.donrosa.de/