Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel chars vs LOTR chars

1) Aragorn vs Daredevil (S1 black costume and batons)
    2) Legolas vs Hawkeye (MCU)
    3) Tauriel vs Elektra (Netflix)
    4) Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn vs Winter Soldier
    5) Cave Troll vs Loki
    6) Balrog vs a a Space Whale

Who takes these?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Extraordinary Member

Book or movie versions of the LOTR characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Book or movie versions of the LOTR characters?
    Valid question, but default is usually book.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I feel like I’m leaning towards Aragorn.

Assuming this isn’t Movie Captain Magicpants Legolas, I feel like Hawkeye’s only got to get close with an exploding arrow and it all falls apart for Legolas. Close is only good in horseshoes and hand-grenades... and explosive arrows.

Assuming Black Sky Elektra (the last version we saw), she tears through Tauriel.

If he shoots Legolas first, he might be OK, but I suspect numbers will win out.

5) Cave Troll vs Loki
    Mind control for the win.

Balrog has way more damage output options. And Space Whales are so slow moving that I don’t think it would hit the Balrog.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Primary source is books, but it only takes 30 seconds

I'd give the win to DD against book OR movie Aragorn. Aragorn's a good fighter... against normies. DD has a range game Aragorn can't do a damn thing about, and significantly better reaction speed. DD in S1 casually catches an arrow fired from close outside while in a taxi swerving and bouncing about, with his dying girlfriend in his lap, having a heated argument with his old sensei. That's way beyond any non-Hobbit-Legolas nonsense in the films or the books.

Hawkeye beats book Legolas or LOTR movie Legolas thanks to better toys; Hawkeye loses badly to Hobbit trilogy Legolas.

Elektra slaughters Tauriel. Period.

Given that it's now explicit (Falcon & WS series makes it completely clear, if Civil War wasn't enough) that Bucky is a full-on Cap-level Super Soldier, even before counting the Vibranium arm: he mows down the book versions. He'll gun them before most can react, and he's easily quick enough with the arm to block an arrow or two, given how frequently he blocks bullets with it (aim-blocking not bullet timing, but more than good enough for Legolas). The movie versions, though, have magic flying elf guy and he's probably going to magically stick two teleporting arrows into Bucky's eyes or something.

5) Cave Troll vs Loki

Loki wins by many methods, not the least of which is that the cave troll probably can't hurt him if Loki let it hit him - which he will not.

Hmmmmmmm. Movie Balrog isn't fast and isn't particularly impressive on the scale of a thing that glides through skyscrapers without noticing or slowing down. Iron Man's super cutty laser thingies can't scratch the paint. The Gandalf fight was less impressive in the movie than the description Gandalf gives in the book as well. Movie Balrog can't hurt the whale, but I don't know that the whale can hit the Balrog unless the Balrog gets stupid. Book Balrog... might be strong or damaging enough to hurt the whale. Really not sure on that.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'll stick with primary canon where at all possible (huge surprise, I know).

Got a fight on our hands, here, but I'm giving this to book Aragorn. Matt isn't fast enough to blitz, though he enjoys a speed advantage. This is offset by Aragorn's clear strength advantage, armour (yep, by the end of the book he's running around in armour...Matt isn't, here), big reach advantage (sword), and tremendous skill. It's easy to forget that Aragorn has been fighting a fair chunk longer than Matt has been alive by this point, and has feats to prove it - he does stuff like 'fight his way across a battlefield at the head of an army (yes, leading from the front and killing everything in his way) then fight his way back across said battlefield, said battle lasting for hours.' Does he take a single injury? Nope. He's also fresh enough that long into the night he runs around doing stuff, like travel back and forth to different places in a city and outside of it to help heal people.

Worse, this is the arena - it's a straight-up fight, so Matt can't use stealth, the environment, or bounce his clubs off anything.

Going to give this to the scion of Númenor.

Interesting fight, but Book Legolas can remove arrows from his quiver, nock them, and draw faster than eyes can track (yet another feat straight from the book) and kill large, flying beasties by loosing a single arrow nearly straight-up into the air. The accuracy is easily enough to pin Clint at 100' range. Clint has explosive arrows and such, but he needs to take a moment to prep them (as shown in the movies), which...will get him killed, here (given Legolas's speed, taking a second to get the arrowhead on means Clint likely now has TWO arrows sticking out of him, with a third already on the way). His own accuracy isn't any worse than Legolas's - in fact, it's better - but since it's arrow against arrow at a range where neither has any difficulty hitting a man-sized thing somewhere mortal, I'm edging toward the guy who will 100% get his arrow in the air first: Legolas.

Having never seen Tauriel in action, and her not having any existence in the books, I cannot comment.

Winter Soldier is plenty fast, very tough, and has firearms. I'm not seeing him having a problem surviving an arrow if Legolas manages to hit him while he's shooting the crap out of everyone here. And, not being a dope, he's going to shoot the dude with the bow first.

5) Cave Troll vs Loki

Loki, given the kind of damage his knives do in the movies and the fact that he can simply render himself unseen or whatever else with illusions. I suspect this fight will get even worse when the series comes out, as Loki seems to get some better magic feats.

Book Balrog's fight with Gandalf wreaths an entire mountain-top with flames. And honestly, I'm having serious problems seeing the space-whale every actually getting it's teeth in the Balrog, given the speed with which Balrogs can fly/travel. The Demon of Might shouldn't have any problems playing keep-away, even by getting on the whale's back and hammering away with a big-ass sword. Might take a while, but I can't see the Balrog losing this.

Mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-16-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

All-New Member

Here is my take.

1) I believe Daredevil. He has some supernatural abilities, and that would probably give him the edge. Still, Aragorn has a big motivation, born leader, unafraid of anything, led by love..., all those less touchable things are on his side. It would be a very interesting fight.

2) Oh, Legolas. They are not even close. For one, Legolas can just go away and live a thousand years Every capability is by far on Legolas's side, and if we are led with the Hobbit, it really is not even close. Tech that Hawkeye has is nothing, he wouldn't have any chance to do anything with it.

Here are a few of Legolas powers:

"He can hear what the stones are thinking. He can also sense the feelings of trees. Legolas does not need sleeping. He dreams while walking. When the rest are asleep, he stands by to watch. Later on, Legolas takes a nap with his eyes open. He is also very light, he does not sink into the snow, though he has the weight of a normal man. so this makes it difficult to track him. Elves have ties to a physical world, and they love it dearly. So they never die until the physical world dies. Elves do not get sick they don’t age, and they are difficult to kill." - credit Fiction Horizon

3) Even though I would say Electra, Tauriel is an Elf, so as the answer above, and it could be explained from the same info, I would give this one to Tauriel.

4) Really? All of them against Winter Soldier? I would separately probably put on all of them. But to be certain, Legolas and Aragorn. WS has super serum and a vibrarium arm, but really nothing more, and certainly isn't really too smart.

5) Loki, by far.

6) I would say Balrog. They were spirits, actually spirits that came to Middle-earth to help 'gods'. And even though the fight between Balrog and Gandalf seemed short and simple in the movie, we can't forget that Gandalf was actually considered as a kind of god - as per Tolkien; Source Wiki

For the record, I actually was thinking movie when I made this, but if asked I would have done the "have two versions where one is book and one is movie" any way

Also forgot Legolas actually got better feats in the Hobbit trilogy apparently, those prequel upgrades

Since apparently Elektra smacks Tauriel, how would Black Widow do against her?
    Last edited by Postmania; 04-16-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    -Stephen McCranie

Book-
    1. Aragorn. Numenorians (Aragorn being a direct descendant) were superhuman by about every meaning of the word. And Aragorn, being in his 80s by the time LOTR rolls around, also gives him a huge experience advantage over the blind hero.
    2. Legolas. While not medieval ninja of the movies, his archery puts Hawkeye to shame.
    3. Tauriel does not exist so, Elektra wins by default.
    4. Oof. Poor Bucky. Going against just one of these heroes would be a nightmare. But all of them? LOTR boys take it.
    5. Cave trolls, while big and strong as hell, are also pretty stupid. Loki, should he not be stupid about things, should take it.
    6. Er, I'm sadly unfamiliar with space whale. But Balrogs can basically be viewed as fallen/twisted angels. Hence why Gandalf (himself of that level) was the one to fight the Balrog.

Movies-
    1. Closer, but I still give the advantage to Aragorn here.
    2. Legolas. Elf ninja takes it. Too OP.
    3. Tauriel takes it. Elves are not to overlooked. Even OC inserts like Tauriel.
    4. Much closer, but with Elf-ninja, angry little man, and Super King, the trio takes it.
    5. Loki.
    6. I still lean towards Balrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    4. Oof. Poor Bucky. Going against just one of these heroes would be a nightmare. But all of them? LOTR boys take it.
    I really need to ask - how is the group taking this, given Bucky's ridiculous feats and the fact that the Winter Soldier comes with firearms (pistols, minimum, and usually some kind of assault rifle) as standard equipment? Starting distance is 100', recall. Legolas is the only one with a chance, here, and Bucky stands at least an equal-to-better chance of simply shooting him dead (possibly while collecting an arrow somewhere painful).

The other guys need to cross 100' with him pumping them full of military-issue bullets.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'm seeing some stuff here in the thread that I'd like to address.

While the Balrog is a fallen Maia trapped in a physical Fana, on Rumbles we don't consider such things to be important. What we consider are FEATS. Now, the Balrog has some pretty darned good feats, so I'm not going to complain about the way people are voting. However, 'because he is a fallen angel' or 'because he was a Maia' or whathaveyou isn't a good reason to put the Balrog up as the victor.

He wreathes the tops of mountains with fire, he survives week-long battles against Gandalf, his death tears down part of a mountainside, he travels a ridiculous distance in a really short period of time when Morgoth is whining for his assistance, he has tons of stone fall on him and it does...meh, he's quite large with a honking big flaming sword...all of these are things we might use as reasons.

Secondly, Gandalf - I'm going here because it seems to come up a lot, and I feel it needs clarification.

Gandalf is not a Maia.

Olórin is a Maia. GANDALF is one of the Istari, Olórin stuffed into a mortal (if long-lived and inhumanly tough) body by his boss, and limited by such. He's subject to the frailties of mortality, he can die, and his powers are limited. Tolkien is pretty explicit about this, and goes into great detail in his essay on the subject, The Istari (a fun read if you find it - it's in Unfinished Tales, among other places).

'For with the consent of Eru [the Valar] sent members of their own high order, but clad in bodies as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth, able to hunger and thirst and be slain...whereas now [the Valar's] emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men or Elves by open display of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good...'

'Who would go? For they must be mighty, peers of Sauron, but must forgo might, and clothe themselves in flesh so as to treat on equality and win the trust of Elves and Men. But this would imperil them, dimming their wisdom and knowledge, and confusing them with fears, cares, and weariness coming from the flesh.'

All quotes from 'The Istari', Unfinished Tales.

Their bodies are not Fana taken on by Maiar; they are 'real', not 'feigned', and subject to the 'fears and pains and weariness of earth'.

For all of that, they were powerful, and Gandalf - pushed to his limit - could defeat another similarly 'mortal' spirit: a Balrog, a spirit of fire and darkness that had cut itself off from Ilúvatar and taken on a body...much like one of the Istari, but without a whole lot of choice in the matter.

But he's not a Maia/an 'angel' of Tolkien's works. He's a Maia that has been explicitly limited and made mortal. Even Gandalf the White is still limited, though less-so than before he was brought back to life.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-16-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I really need to ask - how is the group taking this, given Bucky's ridiculous feats and the fact that the Winter Soldier comes with firearms (pistols, minimum, and usually some kind of assault rifle) as standard equipment? Starting distance is 100', recall. Legolas is the only one with a chance, here, and Bucky stands at least an equal-to-better chance of simply shooting him dead (possibly while collecting an arrow somewhere painful).

The other guys need to cross 100' with him pumping them full of military-issue bullets.
    What if we just let Bucky have knives/metal arm as his only weapons?
    -Stephen McCranie

What if we just let Bucky have knives/metal arm as his only weapons?
    ...then he has trouble. Mostly due to him getting a couple of arrows in the wrong place before he gets into hand to hand.

And he's going with a knife and a metal arm against a trio of armoured (to various extents), highly skilled killing machines armed with longer weapons that'll happily cut up every area of his body that isn't made of metal, while the super-archer wanders around the edges of the battle looking for another opportunity to feather him.

If it's not clear, I don't really like his odds. :D

Mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...then he has trouble. Mostly due to him getting a couple of arrows in the wrong place before he gets into hand to hand.

And he's going with a knife and a metal arm against a trio of armoured (to various extents), highly skilled killing machines armed with longer weapons that'll happily cut up every area of his body that isn't made of metal, while the super-archer wanders around the edges of the battle looking for another opportunity to feather him.

If it's not clear, I don't really like his odds.

Mileage may vary.
    I agree that giving one side ranged gear and the other no ranged gear makes the odds much longer (and likely impossible), but Bucky is still faster, much stronger, more skilled then any of the three killing machines here, and has an arm that can trivially break the weapons of the other side, as well as the repeatedly-demonstrated reactions to do so. Fighting vastly superhuman beings is a Tuesday to him, beings pretty far beyond Aragorn/Boromir/Gimli. Put another way: Bucky with a knife would still be a strong favorite over Aragorn, Gimli and Boromir to me. Bucky is at least equal to Cap in such a fight, with the advantage that he has a literally unbreakable arm that is stronger still than the rest of him, and multiple, repeated feats of using that to block close range bullets, including automatic weapons fire. Again to clarify, I'm not claiming bullet time status for him, rather aim-block status that places him in the CBPH-ish discussion, with significantly better-than-that strength and durability (as an MCU Super Soldier), plus the blocker/breaker/one-shot arm.

He'd be able to one-shot those guys straight through any armor they wear, even straight through a shield.

That said, if he has to deal with the three of them AND Legolas, his chances go down drastically, of course. Having arrows arrive from a distance into owie-parts while also fighting 3 very respectable combattants does not favor him.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I agree that giving one side ranged gear and the other no ranged gear makes the odds much longer (and likely impossible), but Bucky is still faster, much stronger, more skilled then any of the three killing machines here, and has an arm that can trivially break the weapons of the other side, as well as the repeatedly-demonstrated reactions to do so. Fighting vastly superhuman beings is a Tuesday to him, beings pretty far beyond Aragorn/Boromir/Gimli. Put another way: Bucky with a knife would still be a strong favorite over Aragorn, Gimli and Boromir to me. Bucky is at least equal to Cap in such a fight, with the advantage that he has a literally unbreakable arm that is stronger still than the rest of him, and multiple, repeated feats of using that to block close range bullets, including automatic weapons fire. Again to clarify, I'm not claiming bullet time status for him, rather aim-block status that places him in the CBPH-ish discussion, with significantly better-than-that strength and durability (as an MCU Super Soldier), plus the blocker/breaker/one-shot arm.
    I would have zero problems with Bucky having a good chance of winning against the melee fighters alone. Here, he's against a group that's backed up by an archer with absolutely stellar accuracy feats, who also happens to be faster - reflex-wise - than Bucky himself. As Bucky has no feats for moving faster than the eye can follow. And Bucky would need to cross 100' distance between the two groups, then deal with the fight while the archer continues to plunk arrows into unfortunate places. But against the melee fighters alone, he'll make it into melee. He'll have a rough go of it once he arrives there, based on his performance against name-level characters of any skill, but should have a decent chance.

What I disagree with is some of your assessment, which requires clarifying.

I would disagree with the 'more skilled' part. The second Bucky goes up against someone who is physically his equal, and not a perfectly normal human, he gets hit. A LOT. As an example, look at his fight with Walker. Walker basically beats all hell out of him - Bucky is flat-out losing that fight, with Walker landing more hits than he does.

In this case, his skill is getting compared against:

1. A dude who has about 70 years of experience/training, who fights his way across a battlefield over the course of several hours and doesn't take a single injury;
    2. A dude who has probably at least as much experience, who fights his way through a pitched battle explicitly cutting heads off his enemies, kills some 50 of them this way, and gets hit once in that entire mess.
    3. A dude who, lightly armored, casually stomps a group of 'dozens' of enemies before the rest flee, then gets attacked by over a hundred enemies loosing a 'rain' of arrows at him, and manages to avoid most of said rain. And when he's sitting there full of arrows his enemies leave over twenty more of their people behind to finish him, he then gets up and proceeds to murder all of that group.

That thanks to the detail of television we get to see a lot of acrobatic martial arts and fancy knife use from Bucky doesn't change the fact that again, Bucky eats a lot of hits. He powers through them, but let's have a look at his fights.

1. Fighting Tony Stark, he tussles with Tony. Sure, he has been hit with some blinding stuff before this, but it's explicit in the film this barely affects him. Tony and he do a little tussle for the gun, which is fun, then when he and Stark are standing facing each other after Stark disarms him, Tony backfists him across the face from a standing start - hit lands;
    2. Sharon Carter and Widow fight him next, and land hits on him. That's in a two-on-one situation, and if we're going with the idea that Bucky is faster than normals (he is), it's not a great showing for Bucky with regards to skill. Had this been, for example, Boromir and Gimli, Bucky would be potentially missing parts of his body (including his head, which sounds outlandish until one realizes Gimli decapitates between 40 and 50 orcs in a single battle, and those dudes were armored);
    3. The 'super-soldiers' in Falcon and Winter Soldier are civilians, essentially, who have been enhanced. They seem to be at least somewhat trained, but they're not 'super-special trained villains' or anything. In groups (and alone) they land all kinds of hits on Bucky.
    4. John Walker, Super-Soldier, beats the living crap out of Bucky.

Bucky takes a whole lot of hits, in contrast to a group of guys whose feats are basically 'annihilate everyone they face in battle, only losing when there's over a hundred guys with a large contingent of archers who are noted to loose "rains" of arrows at them...and despite being shot full of arrows, still win against twenty enemies'.

I am absolutely not convinced on the point of Bucky being 'more skilled' than they are. I would actually tend more toward the idea that there's an argument to be made in the opposite direction. Just because there isn't fancy choreography in the actual writing of the Lord of the Rings does not invalidate the feats of the characters, just as fancy choreography doesn't automatically make for fantastic skill.

Second, your assertion that Bucky will 'trivially' break any of the weapons here falls flat when it comes face to face with Andúril. The Flame of the West was originally forged by Telchar of Nogrod, a guy who makes knives that 'cut iron like rude cloth'. It takes Sauron to bust this sword, at a time where Sauron is putting off enough heat to incinerate people he's fighting against. It gets reforged by the immortal smiths of Imladris. Aragorn, for example, uses it to split an iron helmet in half (and the skull beneath said iron helmet). No big deal, sword fine.

This is not something Bucky is 'trivially' breaking.

Lastly, the idea that he's casually one-shotting these people through armor and even a shield. Let's take Boromir as an example. Boromir is a guy who literally forces his way through packed snow that's to the height of his chest in order to make a trail for people behind him. He does this for an extended length of time, while carrying all kinds of stuff as well. He eats a whole whack of arrows (many) in the books, and proceeds to kill his way through twenty+ more enemies after that, stopping because there are no more enemies to kill. He then sits around and waits a while for Aragorn to show up before kicking off.

Given that Bucky hits normals with his arm and they don't die or explode, I'm having problems seeing him casually one-shotting Boromir. Through his shield.

Mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-17-2021 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Extremely unfortunate editing that needed correcting!
    Why are we here?

Edited due to edit that left Sharon Carter and Widow hitting on Bucky. Needed to correct that. O_o
    Why are we here?