Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    really? Explain this to me. I disagree. It is build within the world of the X-Men but everything in it is feeling super fresh. For me it is using what have been established and reinterpret all of it. I love Hickman for it. It really does not feel nostalgic at all.
    Compared to the rut the books were in since Decimation, this is a breath of fresh air, but so much of it has been done before. All the big ideas rely on on the taking those old characters, that is the nostalgia part. He can put his own spin on them, but the appeal there is still to see what he does with all these old characters, and even then it is all of those old characters that are getting people in the door to see the show.

That said, I don't think anyone really uses the term nostalgia correctly. It might be fair to call this book predictable, mundane, safe, pedestrian, derivative or stereotyped. But I think it is hard to find much at Marvel that is not 'nostalgic' in some way or another, it is rare to see anyone actually wanting new characters or concepts.

I'm just glad Kitty isn't on the team lol.

I'm excited for Sunfire! He has NEVER gotten his due in an X-Men book. I'm not holding my breath because writers just always write him out for some "bratty" reason. The last time he was interesting in an X-Men book was AoA and that was an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Compared to the rut the books were in since Decimation, this is a breath of fresh air, but so much of it has been done before. All the big ideas rely on on the taking those old characters, that is the nostalgia part. He can put his own spin on them, but the appeal there is still to see what he does with all these old characters, and even then it is all of those old characters that are getting people in the door to see the show.

That said, I don't think anyone really uses the term nostalgia correctly. It might be fair to call this book predictable, mundane, safe, pedestrian, derivative or stereotyped. But I think it is hard to find much at Marvel that is not 'nostalgic' in some way or another, it is rare to see anyone actually wanting new characters or concepts.
    I mean, the only comic with new characters and concepts is Children of the Atom and people hated it from minute one (It's great though)

I'm really afraid this will be the nostalgia-feel, regressive book. A classical superhero story (a.k.a. BORING!). While Way of X, SWORD, Hickman's new book will continue the exciting innovation of the X-Men books, X-Men will be a nostalgia jerk-off. Not my cup of tea. I'm here for a new era not for a return to the past already.

I hope I'm wrong....let's rethink what the X-Men in the times of Krakoa can be?!
    nothing but facts here. I'm so sick of hearing about all these people who just want to go back to the status quo. My god I feel like people want x-men to stay in that darn mansion for ever.

Sorry, yes, you are right. Marauders was just bad for me....cannot help myself being skeptical. Nonetheless will read the first issues and hope for the best.
    It's fine, I get why some people are a bit underwhelmed by this books reveal. What with the hype from the Gala and people thinking they would see a mix mash of representatives from every corner of Krakoa, it's not been as straight forward what to expect here.

It definitely seems that they decided to choose a seemingly classic looking book, but we probably don't have the full picture on this team yet and I'm still curious to see what exactly they'll be doing or fighting against.

Sorry, yes, you are right. Marauders was just bad for me....cannot help myself being skeptical. Nonetheless will read the first issues and hope for the best.
    Absolutely agree with you on both of your post! Not so much the chronological age, but the mental, creative age of some of these writers comes off as stale. I can at least make a good effort to read if only cause it has some of my fave characters.

Seriously where are people getting these Sunfire opinions from tho, What book has he been in for a extended period for people to get a real opinion of the character?

Uncanny Avengers 10 issues
    Uncanny X-men 11 issues (over a 20-year span)
    X-men 15 issues (over like a 10-year span)

The resource I have to check on this is a little wonky but yeah people are giving these strong Sunfire takes like he has been books for an extended period. I like him AoA but the most he has shown up in book consecutively is Uncanny Avengers. The character has a lot of room to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Regarding dynamics:
    -Cyclops and Jean are a couple...

In my opinion what the team lacks the most is a villain who adds a bit of spark but if Sunfire is especially jerk he can work to create conflict.
    Correction, Glio.

As has been shown in the diagrams of the Summers’ living quarters on the Moon (X-Men #1), confirmed in interactions between Cyclops and Wolverine (X-Men #7), and confirmed by Hickman himself in at least one podcast interview if not more, Cyclops, Jean and Wolverine are in a threeway arrangement, strongly implied to at least consist of a Jeannie sandwich if not a relationship between Scott and Wolverine, too.

I’ll admit it freaks me out a bit. I’d be much more comfortable if it was Scott and Jean, or Wolverine and Jean, or Scott and Wolverine. I don’t particularly like the idea of a triad, but that’s how it is in the X-Men these days.

I see that situation as ripe for conflict, but does Duggan or Hickman have the guts to go there? How about Wolverine arranging a friendly fire incident with Scott? Or Marvel Girl doing something telepathically to interfere with Scott’s resurrection? Or Scott sending Wolverine to certain doom? Hickman and Duggan could go real dark and conflict heavy with that trio. It could be used for maximum effect, but I suspect Marvel doesn’t have the stomach for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm extremely interested in seeing how his experience translates in the world outside the Vault. He's surely good at staying alive!
    Definitely hoping that we get the old soul, edgy wiser Synch from The Vault. Like another poster implied, we should honestly see a Synch with so much more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Regarding dynamics:
    -Cyclops and Jean are a couple
    -Cyclops, Jean and Polaris were in-laws for a time
    -Rogue and Sunfire were Uncanny Avengers
    -Polaris and Sunfire were Horsemen of the Apocalypse together
    -Cyclops, Jean and Laura were on the same team when the O5 were in the past
    -Laura and Synch were in the Vault
    -Rogue was already in X-Men teams with Cyclops and Jean.

So, suddenly, interesting dynamics:
    -Cyclops and Jean are experienced leaders with their feet on the ground
    -Rogue and Sunfire are more hotheaded
    -Polaris can sometimes be a wild card
    -Synch has a lot of experience in the Chamber
    -Laura adds a cooler and more analytical factor

In my opinion what the team lacks the most is a villain who adds a bit of spark but if Sunfire is especially jerk he can work to create conflict.
    Awesome breakdown of the team dynamics. Honestly got me more excited for the book.

On an unrelated note, do you all think they needed to relaunch the title for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Rogue made out with Polaris' dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Jean, and possibly Scott, also made out with Laura's dad.
    That’s the least of it these days. See the triad Cyclops, Jean and Logan are into these days.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Seriously where are people getting these Sunfire opinions from tho, What book has he been in for a extended period for people to get a real opinion of the character?

Uncanny Avengers 10 issues
    Uncanny X-men 11 issues (over a 20-year span)
    X-men 15 issues (over like a 10-year span)

The resource I have to check on this is a little wonky but yeah people are giving these strong Sunfire takes like he has been books for an extended period. I like him AoA but the most he has shown up in book consecutively is Uncanny Avengers. The character has a lot of room to grow
    Well for me that's the thing, the character has existed for 50 years now and no writer has been able to make him interesting IMO. And no writer has been interested in making him interesting . Arrogant jerks can be fun on a team, in the way Quicksilver or Northstar are, but Shiro has always just been angry at everyone in a way that's not really entertaining. His early appearances in which he was written as a total stereotype also didn't do him any favours unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Rogue made out with Polaris' dad.
    Made out? She f--ked him!

SHIRO!!!!! I am so excited and shocked to see him on this team. I really think the whole "jerk" narrative is a bit overplayed, so I hope they make him abrasive, but also explore his internal world a bit more. I am stoked for this team and excited to see how it progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
    SHIRO!!!!! I am so excited and shocked to see him on this team. I really think the whole "jerk" narrative is a bit overplayed, so I hope they make him abrasive, but also explore his internal world a bit more. I am stoked for this team and excited to see how it progresses.
    Yes, I am excited to see Shiro as well. I hope we see him interacting and really being a team player.

This book has so much potential. I hope we get to see it.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!