Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I am excited for this team. I'm a big fan of the original run. Seeing Cyke, Jean, Lorna, and Shiro in one book is great. I suspect that Shiro will show up in the MCU when mutants are fully featured. I enjoy Rogue, as well. I wish Gambit could be on the team, with her. Most of all, I am a Synch fan, and I am so happy that he went from dead to a full-time X-Man.

I really hope the writing is as exciting as the art for this series.

heres what gerry needs for HIS 1st arc a REAL VILLiAN

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    heres what gerry needs for HIS 1st arc a REAL VILLiAN

Yes this would be great
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm just going to say this because i hope someone from marvel reads because i want the whole line to work because i'm attached to the universe and that is why i honestly read. I like it's universe more than the other ones i have seen in comics and so i can't follow more than one company really and get anything done. I know myself in that way.

Wouldn't it have been more powerful to lets say see captain marvel rushing to Genosha knowing what is about to happen and her being teleported away or intercepted and then the story that actually happened happened. Wouldn't we feel her pain that she just couldn't get there. Why take that for granted. Why aren't these writers thinking about the universe their hired to work in. to me that isn't forced continuity that is what the world these heroes exist in are facing at the time.
    Besides the needless waste of an interesting setting, those kinds of "how else could it have been done" thinking reminds me to another reason i dislike the destruction of Genosha so much, because of how casualy it happens. It happend as an aside event in a singular book and stayed there, while it's potential impact on and reaction by the Marvel universe was either largely disregarded or belittled.

I have in the past compared the destruction of Genosha akin to terrorists using a super weapon that would make the US military envious, to destroy South Africa after the end of apartheid and then the world seemingly just shrugs at it. Worse instead there would be anti-afircan protests world wide because?

Also how convinient that somehow almost all 16 million genoshans (how many normal humans were among the victims anyway?) were so cleanly killed in one swoop and there weren't millions of survivors still there who would have tried to migrate to other countries or be sought up by governments and organizations around the world for their abilities to use (or abuse). Nope it's just Emma Frost and a handfull of others, so no need for actualy adressing the theoretical impacts of a massive destruction of a 16+ million people large nation on economy, society and migration.

The premise of the destruction of Genosha could have filled a whole marvel comic line wide crossover and would have been better for it. But instead the editorial just apparently shrugged it of as letting Morrison do his "little thing" over in the X-men comics.

It's telling that the Mutant Massacre from decades earlier still feels more "epic" and impactfull than the destruction of Genosha, despite the massively smaller scale, simply because it's shocking nature was actualy given the gravity it deserves, the heros were involved in trying to stop it (and failing with emotional reaction), it happend over several issues instead of just on a few splash pages, survivors of the Morlocks kept the memory of it going and thanks to other Marvel series reacting to it (Power Pack and Thor showed up, Daredevil showed it's aftermath) it didn't felt isolated.

What is the destruction of Genosha compared to it than just a hollow big number to slap around when writers want the X-men to blame all of humanity for something and a graveyard to dig through by villains or misguided heros?

Compare to it's counterpart in Wolverine and the X-men were it was actualy shown as such an apocalyptic event (not only the death of millions of people but also that it's impact would unbalance the world) that the heros had to stop it by any means necessary.

So i agree, this isn't just about enforcing continuity for the sake of it, but giving events the impact they deserve for this franchise to feel like a properly shared universe. Not every title needs to be interrupted or shaken up by them of course, but the characters should at least be aknowledged in the series where it happens to be reacting to it. It also means that sometimes it might be better to veto certain "big impact" story ideas, if the rest of the Marvel Universe can't properly react to it.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-18-2021 at 05:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I am excited for this team. I'm a big fan of the original run. Seeing Cyke, Jean, Lorna, and Shiro in one book is great. I suspect that Shiro will show up in the MCU when mutants are fully featured. I enjoy Rogue, as well. I wish Gambit could be on the team, with her. Most of all, I am a Synch fan, and I am so happy that he went from dead to a full-time X-Man.

I really hope the writing is as exciting as the art for this series.
    That could be an interesting way to introduce mutants...not big and flashy...but sort of stealth. Have a heroe's solo movie introduce a known mutant...for example someone goes to Japan and fights bad guys alongside Shiro...instead of making a big team debut movie spectacle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That could be an interesting way to introduce mutants...not big and flashy...but sort of stealth. Have a heroe's solo movie introduce a known mutant...for example someone goes to Japan and fights bad guys alongside Shiro...instead of making a big team debut movie spectacle.
    Considering the MCU was kind of established with the underlying narrative of various factions or interest groups trying to copy or replicate what the heros have created or are (the very first MCU villain wanted to copy Tony's power armor tech and reactor for business) and how Falcon and the Winter Soldier focused this aspect again on the idea of Nations trying to create "government super heros", it would certainly fit to have Sunfire among the stealthily first mutants established in the MCU under this kind of banner.

Especialy since the cat is now out of the bag so to speak, with even extremist groups like Flag Smasher shown as having gained access to a variantion of the super soldier serum, opening the door for various other groups to have found similar "treatments" to create super soldiers, as which which Sunfire could at first be handwaved away, before the ball of "mutants" being allready among the MCU being dropped later.

In that regard i could also imagine them establishing various C-list mutants with lower key powers first as "suspiciously super powered" henchmen of villains, again handwaved away as the result of people like Power Broker handing out unfinished or problematic super power treatments (ala the Iron Man 3) like candy.

Side note. Under this scenario i could actualy imagine them going with the old version of how Wolverine got his claws (Weapon X), leaving the bone claws out, so he could have been active in WW2 as just the guy who miraculously recovered from wounds, which is easier to be forgotten as myth, than a guy running around with bone blades growing out of his wrists.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Think a lot of people really overestimating how excited Marvel is to use Sunfire over, say, Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Think a lot of people really overestimating how excited Marvel is to use Sunfire over, say, Wolverine.
    They should be tho
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Plus we know what the first MCU mutant is: Deadpool. Deadpool 3 is happening, movie Deadpool is a mutant, and Deadpool 3 is set in the MCU.

I think people are discounting how much the pandemic has changed everything, and especially the focus on Disney+ by the corporation...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/media...ary/index.html

It quite simply changes everything with regards to anything that was said before about timelines for brining X-men properties to life. Honestly, it’s not just that I want to believe this rumor about a Wolverine anthology series on Disney+ (which of course I do!), but it’s also that it make so much damn sense in the current environment. WandaVision and now Falcon & Winter Soldier both are proving to be big successes, and with the introduction of Isaiah Bradley and some of the darker aspects of Project Rebirth (Weapon Plus)... well... it seems like a logical next step to me.

Obviously I’m trying to temper my excitement because it is indeed just a rumor. But I’m also not going to completely discount it either. Just the sheer number of mutant and especially Wolverine related rumors as of late tells me that perhaps “where there’s smoke there’s fire” so to speak, and there are things in discussion right now involving the character.

Time will tell...

Strong lineup. I’d swap out Rogue for Tempo.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Just read through issues of Duggans Uncanny Avengers run, he writes a good Rogue and also does a better team dynamic in that book than in Marauders. I hope he can bring that energy to X-Men!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Plus we know what the first MCU mutant is: Deadpool. Deadpool 3 is happening, movie Deadpool is a mutant, and Deadpool 3 is set in the MCU.
    Deadpool isn't a mutant, and I'm not sure if Feige even said that Deadpool is on MCU

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Just read through issues of Duggans Uncanny Avengers run, he writes a good Rogue and also does a better team dynamic in that book than in Marauders. I hope he can bring that energy to X-Men!
    Duggan's Uncanny was excellent, which is why I was so surprised how poorly balanced his Marauders is. His Savage Avengers is hit and miss as well, though I think that has more to do with the editorial mandate that it's a secret Conan team up book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Deadpool isn't a mutant, and I'm not sure if Feige even said that Deadpool is on MCU
    They did confirm that Deadpool 3 will be in the MCU and also R-rated. Beyond that nothing else has been confirmed.