Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    This info has been known since the beginning too. People just like to complain.
    This isn't true, it wasn't sold a to readers as one shots with worldbuilding

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know where they're getting that from. Did I miss something?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I guess they meant to say it's been pretty apparent since this time last year.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This explains a lot. Shops also have the power to sink a book with what they decide to order as well.
    Yes and no.

Certain regions of the country don't care for diverse books. Others have folks who don't care for certain folks on the cover.

There have been times a book did NOT get orders because Diamond did not list them during Final Order Cutoff. I had this happen with Scout Comics. Even the store owner who showed me the list of books to order-that Scout book in question was NOT there.

There are also time when a store can NOT reorder a book-DC Comics has done this to a few books before.

My store does FOC-where you can order what you want. There are books they will not order (mainly variants to a bunch of books) and those books are not on the shelf.

This is the flagship title of X-Men-getting a COPY will NOT be an issue for anyone unless they wanted certain covers.

Now the number of copies will be the question.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Of course! Had he done his own thing, this whole era would probably be done already in less than 2 years.

But there's no way in hell Marvel would allow that when they could still milk that golden cow for at least 5 years, lol.

Looks at what they did with X of Swords. It was never meant to be that long (22 issues?!) but behind the scenes they saw money signs and prolonged that whole event.
    Hox/Pox certainly made it feel like a story to be done with a singular main title in 2 to 3 years. This is also where the writer's strength seems to be, since he otherwise shows a tendency to warp characters or ignore their established personaliteis and histories in order to turn them into exposition dispencers or figures to perform a certain action at a certain time to progress the plot because the narrative demands it.

However since the X-men line tends to be interconnected and had an increasing amount of side books since the 90's, the rest of the titles couldn't just hang in limbo for that duration, so that's likely where the idea for creating related satelite books originaly came from, before it seeminlgy escalated into this massive size of tie-in series with various degrees of quality. Bloating the line and apparently now slowing the whole progression and resolution of Hickman's main story down.

There is a reason why for some people this whole current direction feels less like a storyline or overarching creator's run and more like a crossover that just doesn't stop. Like the 2020's version of Spiderman's Clone Saga.

The question is now how long this bubble can inflate until it bursts, sales (to actual customers) radically drop and the people in charge force a sudden increase in pace for the main story, resolving the whole situation in an unsatisfying mannner.

I guess that's also why i'm not particular thrilled for this new X-men relaunch, since without it being part of Hickman's actual macro-storyline it runs the danger of just being more running in a circle until everything breaks appart anyway.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-17-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    OK, but that still doesn't mean I have to like it or think it is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes and no.

Certain regions of the country don't care for diverse books. Others have folks who don't care for certain folks on the cover.

There have been times a book did NOT get orders because Diamond did not list them during Final Order Cutoff. I had this happen with Scout Comics. Even the store owner who showed me the list of books to order-that Scout book in question was NOT there.

There are also time when a store can NOT reorder a book-DC Comics has done this to a few books before.

My store does FOC-where you can order what you want. There are books they will not order (mainly variants to a bunch of books) and those books are not on the shelf.

This is the flagship title of X-Men-getting a COPY will NOT be an issue for anyone unless they wanted certain covers.

Now the number of copies will be the question.
    This makes me so glad the new head of distribution that marvel will be working with at Penguin is a black woman. I think she will do more to get diverse books in the hands of people.

I remember when i was visiting Florida and House of X came out. I was absolutely stunned i went to 6 different comic shops and none of them had ordered it. I was stunned.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

To be honest I find this lineup kind of boring, but then again the lineup I was expecting would have been pretty boring too. Sunfire is the only character who seems to have any potential to really spice things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    But they said from the beginning, and that isn't true as far as I can tell.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This makes me so glad the new head of distribution that marvel will be working with at Penguin is a black woman. I think she will do more to get diverse books in the hands of people.

I remember when i was visiting Florida and House of X came out. I was absolutely stunned i went to 6 different comic shops and none of them had ordered it. I was stunned.
    This happens WAY more than people think.

Now it's generally not an X-Men but it happens.

A guy came into the store that I go to and came to get Supergirl. He said the stores where he lived (about 2 hours away) would not sell Supergirl.

Image's Motor Crush was a victim of it-stores did not want to sell a book starring a black Lesbian by the creative team of Burnside Batgirl.

Grifter, Starbrand & Nightmask, Solo, Sam Alexander's FIRST Nova run, Savage Dragon (issue 101-190), Spawn (before issue 300), Black Panther WOW, Black Panther Crew and pretty much 95% of Archie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Hickman X-Men is basically a series of one-shots used for worldbuilding instead of a ongoing series. Once this is accepted it's easier to aprecciate the comic.
    Not like he was creating his own plot for the sake of worldbuilding. He was just doing his homework, which is being wrapped, xeroxed, and distributed among writers. Like a commission I guess lol There are exceptions of course(like the Economic issue).

A guy came into the store that I go to and came to get Supergirl. He said the stores where he lived (about 2 hours away) would not sell Supergirl.

Image's Motor Crush was a victim of it-stores did not want to sell a book starring a black Lesbian by the creative team of Burnside Batgirl.

Grifter, Starbrand & Nightmask, Solo, Sam Alexander's FIRST Nova run, Savage Dragon (issue 101-190), Spawn (before issue 300), Black Panther WOW, Black Panther Crew and pretty much 95% of Archie.
    It would be great if we could see some hard data on this, because Tribe, my shop in Austin, tells me Hickman X-Men hasn't dropped off too much for them, but they aren't getting much positive feedback on it either. I haven't asked too much about it, I don't want to put them on the spot about this topic.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I know that come comic book shops to cut costs just don't order low selling books to put on shelfs, just buy for pre-orders. i really can't blmae them for it, that is why creators ask people to pre-order and BUY it. Some people pre-order and doesn't pick up the comics. if no one pre-order why will the retailer buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Not like he was creating his own plot for the sake of worldbuilding. He was just doing his homework, which is being wrapped, xeroxed, and distributed among writers. Like a commission I guess lol There are exceptions of course(like the Economic issue).
    Seems more like he is a teacher distributing homework to writers, like a showrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    It would be great if we could see some hard data on this, because Tribe, my shop in Austin, tells me Hickman X-Men hasn't dropped off too much for them, but they aren't getting much positive feedback on it either. I haven't asked too much about it, I don't want to put them on the spot about this topic.
    The good side of Flagships is that they sell better than most x-books just be being the flagship. So people continue to buy even if not liking. Now I relaly want to know if readers gonna continue with X-men or just ompletely jump to new Hickman book
    ICV2 has a monthly ranking on sales from comic shops to *readers*. X-men doesn't look so hot
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-17-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Interested to see how many fans implode because Laura has a Black love interest lmao

I know that come comic book shops to cut costs just don't order low selling books to put on shelfs, just buy for pre-orders. i really can't blmae them for it, that is why creators ask people to pre-order and BUY it. Some people pre-order and doesn't pick up the comics. if no one pre-order why will the retailer buy it?

Seems more like he is a teacher distributing homework to writers, like a showrunner

The good side of Flagships is that they sell better than most x-books just be being the flagship. So people continue to buy even if not liking. Now I relaly want to know if readers gonna continue with X-men or just ompletely jump to new Hickman book
    ICV2 has a monthly ranking on sales from comic shops to *readers*. X-men doesn't look so hot
    It would be great if those books could get the early support they need, but I don't know how they'd go about with promotion or incentives or whatever.

I'm among those who continued with Hickman's X-Men despite my general disappointment, both because I couldn't find a book to replace it with (support for my LCS) and because I just really wanted to like the book.
    Last edited by Hizashi; 04-17-2021 at 12:27 PM.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.