Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    The irony is that they would have much better stories if they did better by continuity. Past work builds on future work. TV shows don't start every season by keeping the exact same setting and characters but resetting all the characters' development except for a couple highlights, even when a season was bad.
    I'm sorry, what?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Marvel has large editorial teams don't they? There needs to be more coordination and more attention paid to continuity.
    Well, in a recent interview with a lot of the writers for this era, they basically admitted to being selective with continuity to fit the story they want to tell. I would say to take that as you would.

I agree for the need for both because of comics being an ongoing story apart of a larger narrative. Being selective is an odd choice. On top of that, some characters are different from writer to writer in this era. That to me is an even bigger concern.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Well, in a recent interview with a lot of the writers for this era, they basically admitted to being selective with continuity to fit the story they want to tell. I would say to take that as you would.

I agree for the need for both because of comics being an ongoing story apart of a larger narrative. Being selective is an odd choice. On top of that, some characters are different from writer to writer in this era. That to me is an even bigger concern.
    I can see both sides of the issue.

There are aspects of continuity that are small or irrelevant enough to ignore if a story calls for it. But, take the current situation. Right now the X-Men are trying out a mutant nationalist homeland. That is a big deal and for the characters who actually attempted to live in such a world before think about their past attempts should be highly relevant right now. We have seen how that has played out with Magneto and Emma as well as other X-Men who never lived there like Storm and Xavier.

In the case of Lorna she spent significant time building and trying to make a mutant homeland work, was a major figure in that state, and then went though hell on Earth when it ended which impacted her stories for several years after and in several of the most iconic comics ever written about her to date at that. Writers should I feel should have a great deal of leeway in developing what they see as how her past impacts her story.

Past runs have ignored it and tried to reset her to some variation on what she was thirty years ago has been ruinous for her character. The issue gets to the heart of the question what does she stand for and what is her motivational core and my answer would be that has been undefined for a long time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-23-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Have you all seen that 4-armed figure on the cover? Might that be a surprise addition to he team?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I can see both sides of the issue.

There are aspects of continuity that are small or irrelevant enough to ignore if a story calls for it. But, take the current situation. Right now the X-Men are trying out a mutant nationalist homeland. That is a big deal and for the characters who actually attempted to live in such a world before think about their past attempts should be highly relevant right now. We have seen how that has played out with Magneto and Emma as well as other X-Men who never lived there like Storm and Xavier.

In the case of Lorna she spent significant time building and trying to make a mutant homeland work, was a major figure in that state, and then went though hell on Earth when it ended which impacted her stories for several years after and in several of the most iconic comics ever written about her to date at that. Writers should I feel should have a great deal of leeway in developing what they see as how her past impacts her story. But, when past runs have ignored it and tried to reset her to some variation on what she was thirty years ago has been ruinous for her character.
    Ideally, there should be characters who have unique and differing opinions on Krakoa. I thought something was being setup with Lorna when she and Scott talked in the first issue (I think) but then nothing happened. Maybe they'll follow up on that now.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Have you all seen that 4-armed figure on the cover? Might that be a surprise addition to he team?
    It's a 4 armed gorilla with a machine gun surrounded by money. It seems to be another generic bad guy on a cover full of generic bad guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ideally, there should be characters who have unique and differing opinions on Krakoa. I thought something was being setup with Lorna when she and Scott talked in the first issue (I think) but then nothing happened. Maybe they'll follow up on that now.
    Creators have a great deal of wiggle room in what they want to say or not say about any given topic for characters as long as they take into account on some level the bigger life experiences for those characters. That doesn't even mean bringing up those experiences in the comics as keeping them in mind is often times enough for most stories.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-23-2021 at 08:20 AM.

It was very dissapointing that Lorna lost that characterization on the transition for a new writer

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post

No surprise that they ignore most of continuity to tell those stories

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Hope not. If there’s an addition, it needs to be OG Cable reunited with Rogue on a Gerry Duggan written team with Pepe Larraz providing art.

Creators have a great deal of wiggle room in what they want to say or not say about any given topic for characters as long as they take into account on some level the bigger life experiences for those characters. That doesn't even mean bringing up those experiences in the comics as keeping them in mind is often times enough for most stories.
    I would be okay with that, but I'm not seeing it now.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Hope not. If there’s an addition, it needs to be OG Cable reunited with Rogue on a Gerry Duggan written team with Pepe Larraz providing art.
    I miss this duo so much

I would be okay with that, but I'm not seeing it now.
    That was the core problem with Rockslide’s recent death where Lorna being shocked and unhinged at the death was fine on paper. It’s not like she hasn’t been deeply and extremely angry over the death of other mutants like her soon to be teammate Synch which she blamed humanity for. But, the execution made it feel too much like it was Lorna’s first experience with death at all.

On the issue of Krakoa I know what your position is. I know what my position is. But, Lorna's position would be built on an entire universe of different experiences. The past few runs have unfortunately played it coy on Lorna's thoughts on many big ticket items.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-23-2021 at 11:22 AM.

That was the core problem with Rockslide’s recent death where Lorna being shocked and unhinged at the death was fine on paper. It’s not like she hasn’t been deeply and extremely angry over the death of other mutants like her soon to be teammate Synch which she blamed humanity for. But, the execution made it feel too much like it was Lorna’s first experience with death at all.

On the issue of Krakoa I know what your position is. I know what my position is. But, Lorna's position would be built on an entire universe of different experiences. The past few runs have unfortunately played it coy on Lorna's thoughts on many big ticket items.
    Too many characters are not being fleshed out and it really bothers me.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Continuity is always a funny argument to me. i would take consistency and character voice over continuity. I don't get how people can say continuity matters or past stories matter well in past stories Captain Marvel was an honorary X-men but when they were going through things in her own book she never showed up. But people say that would be taking focus off of her but part of her continuity is being part of the mutant world. lol. so wouldn't she show up? Wouldn't a Carol with history respected be against civil war. But that is not the argument that is usually made.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Continuity is always a funny argument to me. i would take consistency and character voice over continuity. I don't get how people can say continuity matters or past stories matter well in past stories Captain Marvel was an honorary X-men but when they were going through things in her own book she never showed up. But people say that would be taking focus off of her but part of her continuity is being part of the mutant world. lol. so wouldn't she show up? Wouldn't a Carol with history respected be against civil war. But that is not the argument that is usually made.
    Maybe we just have different conceptions of continuity, because to me consistency and character voices are simply a part of continuity.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.