Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    40

    Default Favored WW characterization?

    Also, my favorite WW run was George Perez.
    I liked it best b/c IMO it balanced warrior/ambassador/caring and inspirational woman the best.

    I haven't gone in depth through the WW forums here, but what i have seen seems to heavily favor diplomat/caring and inspirational woman the best.
    And then heavily criticize anything to the contrary.

    Perez's run did kill a few people. He tried to keep it to a minimum, but they were there.

    It isn't to the point where the Power of Love is the solution to everything, but I think opinions here lean more to that side?

    Am I wrong? Is there more of a balance favored?

  2. #2
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    I like Rucka's WW, but Rucka's WW is basically Perez's WW with more experience.

    I also really like Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman (with the exception of JL) because I though she was the prefect balance between Marston's sassier, prankster Wonder Woman and Perez's more gentle, nave, smart and wise Wonder Woman.


    People talk about "balancing" her warrior and diplomate sides, but does Batman have to balance his martial arts and detective sides? The definition of a warrior is a person engaged or experienced in warfar; or more broadly, a person engaged in some struggle or conflict. So by that broader definition aren't all superheroes warriors?

    People think being a warrior means being willing take a life; and in Diana's case, enjoying battling criminals or being more willing to take a life than anyone else on the Justice League, which isn't true (depending one the writer you get, unfortunately). So, ultimately there is no "balancing" Diana warrior and diplomate sides because they were never in conflict to begin with, and a smart writer will recognize that.



    (But yes, I do prefer a Wonder Woman who is diplomatic, caring and inspirational. Who would always rater reform a villain instead of kill them.)
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-16-2021 at 03:53 PM.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,335

    Default

    Comics: Rucka's WW, mainly his first run who was pretty much Perez's WW but more experience/"grown up".

    Other Media: Gadot and Carter are fairly good reps of WW from the respective eras they pull influence from.

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I like Rucka's WW, but Rucka's WW is basically Perez's WW with more experience.

    I also really like Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman (with the exception of JL) because I though she was the prefect balance between Marston's sassier, prankster Wonder Woman and Perez's more gentle, nave, smart and wise Wonder Woman.


    People talk about "balancing" her warrior and diplomate sides, but does Batman have to balance his martial arts and detective sides? The definition of a warrior is a person engaged or experienced in warfar; or more broadly, a person engaged in some struggle or conflict. So by that broader definition aren't all superheroes warriors?

    People think being a warrior means being willing take a life; and in Diana's case, being more willing to take a life than anyone else on the Justice League, which isn't true (depending one the writer you get, unfortunately). So, ultimately there is no "balancing" Diana warrior and diplomate sides because they were never in conflict to begin with, and a smart writer will recognize that.
    Well, since Bats doesn't display much detecting in recent years maybe writers should do that for him more.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well, since Bats doesn't display much detecting in recent years maybe writers should do that for him more.
    Yeah, good point. Although from what I've skimmed of Tyrion's run he appears to be trying at least.

  5. #5
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    I already ranted about this this week in the "controversial opinions" thread so I won't bother other people with it. I just think the best take on Wonder Woman is that of a swashbuckling wrestler with the spirit of a curious adventurer and poet.

    William Messner-Loeb is my favourite Wonder Woman writer when it comes to her voice. He really nailed the fun loving side along with the sass and the talent for reassuring others, and he did it all in a very natural way to me, with the right words and actions. When she cared about someone it wasn't because they were nice or simple, it was because they had something interesting in them that she liked. I'd say he just lacked the poetic voice. Diana should have something of an artist in how she interacts with the world. Playing with things and finding the uniqueness in them.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyusmax View Post
    Also, my favorite WW run was George Perez.
    I liked it best b/c IMO it balanced warrior/ambassador/caring and inspirational woman the best.

    I haven't gone in depth through the WW forums here, but what i have seen seems to heavily favor diplomat/caring and inspirational woman the best.
    And then heavily criticize anything to the contrary.

    Perez's run did kill a few people. He tried to keep it to a minimum, but they were there.

    It isn't to the point where the Power of Love is the solution to everything, but I think opinions here lean more to that side?

    Am I wrong? Is there more of a balance favored?
    I think it's more that people don't want the warrior aspect Flanderized too much and it's why there can be kneejerk backlash against her being overly aggressive and taking lives. We've seen a possible route it can go down and it isn't pretty.

    You will see Perez and Rucka get comparatively less criticisms for this aspect because they actually wrote her very well. Perez's Wonder Woman was willing to kill as a last resort, but like you say he put the effort in to showcase it being a minimum. Rucka's WW is basically Perez's as an adult woman, her reasoning for killing both Max and Medusa was more mature than what we get in other takes. He also didn't have her killing human criminals below her weight class no matter how much they disgusted her. See the human traffickers at the beginning of the Bronze Door arc. Or in Year One, where she is faced with a similar situation as the JL terrorist scene, with the Sear group shooting up a mall. She didn't kill a single one because it's well within her power to not do so.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it's more that people don't want the warrior aspect Flanderized too much and it's why there can be kneejerk backlash against her being overly aggressive and taking lives. We've seen a possible route it can go down and it isn't pretty.

    You will see Perez and Rucka get comparatively less criticisms for this aspect because they actually wrote her very well. Perez's Wonder Woman was willing to kill as a last resort, but like you say he put the effort in to showcase it being a minimum. Rucka's WW is basically Perez's as an adult woman, her reasoning for killing both Max and Medusa was more mature than what we get in other takes. He also didn't have her killing human criminals below her weight class no matter how much they disgusted her. See the human traffickers at the beginning of the Bronze Door arc. Or in Year One, where she is faced with a similar situation as the JL terrorist scene, with the Sear group shooting up a mall. She didn't kill a single one because it's well within her power to not do so.
    Made the mistake of re-reading Year One just as the Snyder Cut came out, so that scene was the one the mind for me.

    At least it didn't have that motif.

  8. #8
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Maybe I should reread Rucka's run.

    Been a long time since i read it. I mostly remember not liking Veronica Cale at all, at the time.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyusmax View Post
    Maybe I should reread Rucka's run.

    Been a long time since i read it. I mostly remember not liking Veronica Cale at all, at the time.
    Did you read both of his runs? I found Cale to be much more enjoyable in the second run.

  10. #10
    The Last Dragon masterwitcher88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    595

    Default

    basically everyone here pretty much said it.

    Rucka's portrayal of Diana is by far my personal favorite, mainly because it is very much like Perez only older and more experienced.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it's more that people don't want the warrior aspect Flanderized too much and it's why there can be kneejerk backlash against her being overly aggressive and taking lives. We've seen a possible route it can go down and it isn't pretty.

    You will see Perez and Rucka get comparatively less criticisms for this aspect because they actually wrote her very well. Perez's Wonder Woman was willing to kill as a last resort, but like you say he put the effort in to showcase it being a minimum. Rucka's WW is basically Perez's as an adult woman, her reasoning for killing both Max and Medusa was more mature than what we get in other takes. He also didn't have her killing human criminals below her weight class no matter how much they disgusted her. See the human traffickers at the beginning of the Bronze Door arc. Or in Year One, where she is faced with a similar situation as the JL terrorist scene, with the Sear group shooting up a mall. She didn't kill a single one because it's well within her power to not do so.
    Yes to ALL of this.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I already ranted about this this week in the "controversial opinions" thread so I won't bother other people with it. I just think the best take on Wonder Woman is that of a swashbuckling wrestler with the spirit of a curious adventurer and poet.
    I like this, and it’s a bit of my head cannon as far as characterization for her goes. My Wonder Woman becomes a bit of a pro wrestling fanatic, and incorporates some of that into her fighting. I’d also throw in a bit of Gail Simone’s humor.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,447

    Default

    Rucka and Perez.

  13. #13
    Incredible Member Fuzzy Mittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    686

    Default

    I confess my favorite take would still have to be Marstons after all these years. The take that would make big proclamations about how one needed to become the best version of themselves. Who would regularly appear in schools to deliver speeches about the importance of education and just hang out with the Holliday Girls who would wind up on crazy adventures. A Diana who would amass a massive circle of friends of different walks of life in the various roles in her life as Diana Prince, Wonder Woman, and Princess Diana.
    I even rather enjoyed her character flaws such as her overly competitive nature and the borderline compulsion to accept any challenge or take on anyone who boasts themselves to be better than her in anything.

  14. #14
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I confess my favorite take would still have to be Marstons after all these years. The take that would make big proclamations about how one needed to become the best version of themselves. Who would regularly appear in schools to deliver speeches about the importance of education and just hang out with the Holliday Girls who would wind up on crazy adventures. A Diana who would amass a massive circle of friends of different walks of life in the various roles in her life as Diana Prince, Wonder Woman, and Princess Diana.
    I even rather enjoyed her character flaws such as her overly competitive nature and the borderline compulsion to accept any challenge or take on anyone who boasts themselves to be better than her in anything.
    I love all of that. I don't think the dialogue can translate to the world of today, but the spirit of the time was quite strong.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I confess my favorite take would still have to be Marstons after all these years. The take that would make big proclamations about how one needed to become the best version of themselves. Who would regularly appear in schools to deliver speeches about the importance of education and just hang out with the Holliday Girls who would wind up on crazy adventures. A Diana who would amass a massive circle of friends of different walks of life in the various roles in her life as Diana Prince, Wonder Woman, and Princess Diana.
    I even rather enjoyed her character flaws such as her overly competitive nature and the borderline compulsion to accept any challenge or take on anyone who boasts themselves to be better than her in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I love all of that. I don't think the dialogue can translate to the world of today, but the spirit of the time was quite strong.
    Basically, Diana is/was a Shonen protagonist.

    I could totally see her getting along with Goku.
    "Never place your trust in us. We're only human. Inevitably, we will disappoint you."


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •