Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

THe 90s, I mean, they had Hitman, The Sandman, Starman and Preacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Ah, so you're the OTHER ONE who bought this?

Peace
    There's definitely more because i had a hard time looking for it at first lol. I think it's FAAAAAAAAAR from the worst Justice League era. Not even close imo.

With Vertigo, 90s by a long way. Take Vertigo out of it and... still 90s.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Since the Code came in the middle of the decade it splits the 1950s down the middle. But in terms of D.C, it didn't matter that much because they already had their own in-house Code, which they had for years. The big publishers got to decide what was in the Code and they made sure it favoured the kinds of comics they were already publishing. In terms of E.C. the Code was written to make it impossible for them to keep going. Yet the early 1950s are known for some of the greatest comics ever published from E.C.--none of those being super-hero comics. They did keep publishing MAD which was one of the biggest hits of the 1950s (didn't need Code approval because it was a black & white magazine).
    Agreed, Jim. DC started following their own Code when the Joker stopped killing people during the early '40s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

A decade is too long. My best is the first story arcs top. Everything starts going downhill from there with a few exceptions.

That is Post Crisis Trinity origins being better than select Rebirth's first arcs and that's better than select New 52's first arcs.

I'm undecided on Golden Age.

But if I have to go with decade I'm going with the 80s. Nightwing was born, Jason became Robin as a good kid, the Post Crisis began and the origin stories are good, New Teen Titans became a classic, The Killing Joke is still a definitive Joker story despite what happened to Barbara, and I realize I only talk about SuperWonderBatTeens but what else you want from me...

Either that or the 40s, but I've only read Superman and Batman

My usual favorite stories are from the 70s but I only knew Batman from that era so I can't say it's a good era for everyone else
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-17-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    There's definitely more because i had a hard time looking for it at first lol. I think it's FAAAAAAAAAR from the worst Justice League era. Not even close imo.
    Yeah, I always liked it.

Peace

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This is a dumb question. What purpose does this have? It's all about personal preference. In terms of sales, DC probably sold a lot more comics between the 40s and the 60s than at any time since. The prices were much lower though so profit might not be comparable. As far as everything else, it's really just preference.
    I don't believe it's a dumb question, but it's obvious that it's being interpreted all different ways here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I mean, the 50s were famously the era of the Comics Code.
    It was also the decade during which the infamous Seduction of the Innocent by Fredric Wertham was first published.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But it's impossible to compare decades based on quality when there were different rules, audiences, and economic factors involved. It's like comparing Super Friends with Justice League Unlimited when the latter could never have been created during the '70s and '80s (while the former had the bigger audience).
    Agreed. That’s partly why my answer is always the most current one. Except the 90s. The 90s should be retconned out of existence IMO.

This is a dumb question. What purpose does this have? It's all about personal preference.
    Which is different from every other post here how?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think the 80s, DC stopped playing catch up and took big risks. They upped the ante on what mature mainstream comics could look like. We are still watching and consuming ideas thought up back then. Plus you could still read western and war comics off the stands.

Definitely the 80s. Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, New Teen Titans and Legion of Superheroes selling as well or better than X Men, Morrison’s Animal Man, Sandman, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Morrison starts on Doom Patrol in 89, Killing Joke, Perez’s Wonder Woman, John Byrne’s Man of Steel, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, etc.

Those are some of the most influential books in DC (and comics) history.

I would say late 80's and 90's.

New Teen Titans, Perez Wonder Woman, Batman Year One, Man of Steel, O'Neill's Question, Dixon/Monech/Grant Batman, Gaiman's Sandman, Robinson's Starman, Goyer/Johns JSA, Waid on Flash, Dixon's Birds of Prey, Connor Hawk as Green Arrow: so much gems in that era.
    Last edited by John Venus; 04-17-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Agreed. That’s partly why my answer is always the most current one. Except the 90s. The 90s should be retconned out of existence IMO.
    Kyle Rayner, Wonder Woman by William Messner Loeb, Grant Morrison's JLA, Young Justice by Peter David and Impulse, Batman No Man's Land, Batman The Long Halloween, Mark Waid's Flash, Starman by James Robinson, The Power of Shazam by Jerry Ordway, and plenty more I can't remember right now. Plus a lot of ideas ended up paying off really well down the line like Reign of Supermen and even Azrael.

Kyle Rayner, Wonder Woman by William Messner Loeb, Grant Morrison's JLA, Young Justice by Peter David and Impulse, Batman No Man's Land, Batman The Long Halloween, Mark Waid's Flash, Starman by James Robinson, The Power of Shazam by Jerry Ordway, and plenty more I can't remember right now. Plus a lot of ideas ended up paying off really well down the line like Reign of Supermen and even Azrael.
    Yeah, I agree. I still think the 80's were more groundbreaking for DC, but there's no shortage of great stuff in the 90's.

Peace