13 20.97%
  • Meh

17 27.42%
  • Terrible

12 19.35%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Re: Andrew Garfield.

Its not the actor's fault that every series of Spider Man films feel the need to start the character out as a high school age teen. What is weird about it is that the cartoons and even the crappy American TV series didn't feel the need to make a 28 year old guy pretend to be 15.

Garfield's doing a pretty dead on take of the 80's version of the character where Spider Man is really quippy, Peter Parker is way more social and is also in a committed relationship it just happens to be with Gwen Stacy instead of the Black Cat or Mary Jane.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 05-09-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Agreed.Also the fact that peter is still broke as an adult is B.S..Aside from being one of the smartest people on the planet he also has a lot of rich friends who would help him out without using him.
    But then Spider-Man would have to evolve

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Re: Andrew Garfield.

Its not the actor's fault that every series of Spider Man films feel the need to start the character out as a high school age teen. What is weird about it is that the cartoons and even the crappy American TV series didn't feel the need to make a 28 year old guy pretend to be 15.

Garfield's doing a pretty dead on take of the 80's version of the character where Spider Man is really quippy, Peter Parker is more social and is in a committed relationship it just happens to be with Gwen Stacy instead of the Black Cat or Mary Jane.
    It's kind of hilarious to me that the older Spider-Man cartoons had Peter in college (Amazing Friends, 90's, MTV), while the modern ones all have him in high school.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of hilarious to me that the older Spider-Man cartoons had Peter in college (Amazing Friends, 90's, MTV), while the modern ones all have him in high school.
    Even the 60's Animated series which never showed Peter Parker in class, strongly implied that he was a College Student.

All those Professors that Peter Parker happened to know.

That said Spectacular Spider Man is awesome and deserves all the praise it gets. It's the best take on teen Spider Man, next is the MCU Spidey.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 05-09-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Ultimate Member

Everybody was old back then, even teens

Even the 60's Animated series which never showed Peter Parker in class, strongly implied that he was a College Student.

That said Spectacular Spider Man is awesome and deserves all the praise it gets. It's the best take on teen Spider Man, next is the MCU Spidey.
    I wish MCU Spidey was more like Spec Spidey...

Extraordinary Member

I wish MCU Spidey was more like Spec Spidey...
    Spec Spidey exists in a world where there are no reliable Adults who could help him other than his aunt (who he is actively keeping in the dark about being Spider Man) and Curt Connors (who only ends up turning into the Lizard anyway so doesn't count).

Every other adult is either a villain or about to be one.

MCU Stark genuinely cares about Peter and has his best interests at heart but has to be Tony Stark about it.

Ultimate Member

I would've just liked it if MCU Peter was older, and his dynamic with Tony was more of one between peers, rather than a mentor-type relationship. And I would like if Peter actually became moderately successful and settled. I also think he should've interacted with other Avengers, especially Steve, before the fight

Astonishing Member

Spec Spidey exists in a world where there are no reliable Adults who could help him other than his aunt (who he is actively keeping in the dark about being Spider Man) and Curt Connors (who only ends up turning into the Lizard anyway so doesn't count).

Every other adult is either a villain or about to be one.

MCU Stark genuinely cares about Peter and has his best interests at heart but has to be Tony Stark about it.
    That's a good point. Peter wants help; he just can't get it.

Captain Stacy is a good help though.

The Ultimate Comics take is way better than the MCU take.

He was a decent Spider-Man. When it comes to casting in the Spider-Man films the only real miss was Zendaya as MJ. Of course that wasn't Zendaya's fault it was Jon Watts suggestion that MJ should come off as a Daria wannabe. It was also Jon Watts idea that MJ be more of an outcast. This is taken from an Entertainment Weekly article https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/02/zen...ome-interview/

Ew: Your MJ has definitely developed a different vibe than the more traditional Mary Jane we’re used to. Was that really clear from the beginning as well?

Z: Well I always knew that she would be MJ at the end of the day, she’s just Marvel cinematic’s version of what she would look like in this universe. So she’s the MJ of the MCU, if that makes any sense. [Director] Jon [Watt] wanted to create something that was modern and different but still pay tribute to the original, and also spoke I think to the awkwardness of teenage life — just allowing for different kind of characters, especially female ones, to be seen on screen.

There weren’t really any rules. I think in the first movie we don’t really know much about her, she’s kind of mysterious. And once we find out she’s MJ, we kind of know where the relationship will go in the future with her and Peter, but it’s really sweet because she kind of has this guard up — this defense mechanism where she feels like you have to tell the truth all the time, even if it hurts your relationships.

She just does it, which is kind of her thing, and I think it’s cool because we’re in a world full of people who don’t tell the truth anymore. But the fact that she’s a bit of an outcast and Peter’s a bit of an outcast and they find comfort and kind of feel seen with each other, I think that’s something really special and definitely lucky.

EW:She kept reminding me of Daria, and the girls in Ghost World.

Z:Yeah! Actually Daria was a reference that Jon literally told me when we first met during Homecoming.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Ultimate Comics take is way better than the MCU take.
    The only major thing the MCU took from Ultimate was how Peter can't keep his identity a secret and Miles' best friend.

Really not what I think should've been the main things, but there you go.

The only major thing the MCU took from Ultimate was how Peter can't keep his identity a secret and Miles' best friend.

Really not what I think should've been the main things, but there you go.
    The Garfield films tried to take Peter telling his identity to MJ from Ultimate to Peter telling Gwen in those films.

I thought that didn't work in the slightest since Peter barely knew Gwen (he didn't even know that she knew his name). Ultimate MJ was presented as Peter's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Garfield films tried to take Peter telling his identity to MJ from Ultimate to Peter telling Gwen in those films.

I thought that didn't work in the slightest since Peter barely knew Gwen (he didn't even know that she knew his name). Ultimate MJ was presented as Peter's best friend.
    I thought Ultimate MJ worked better than how they handled Michelle.

I thought Ultimate MJ worked better than how they handled Michelle.
    She did. A lot of MCU Spidey's world feels undercooked.