13 20.97%
  • Meh

17 27.42%
  • Terrible

12 19.35%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's kind of hard to ignore.
    Well, not in terms of the majority of his scenes as Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

I always wonder if people actually remember what Peter was like in the comics when they complain about him.

Or maybe, it's that they do, and that's why they hate Garfield so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always wonder if people actually remember what Peter was like in the comics when they complain about him.

Or maybe, it's that they do, and that's why they hate Garfield so much.
    Peter would never just tell a girl that he didn't even know that he was Spider-Man like he told Gwen in these movies.

Before someone brings up Ultimate Spider-Man, I will say that Peter thought of MJ as his best friend when he told her. At the start of ASM 1, Peter didn't even know that Gwen knew his name.

616-Peter was freaked out when MJ told him that she knew. And he tried to think of ways he could convince her that she was wrong. And this was someone he had known for years by that point.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 04-18-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Ultimate Member

Peter would never just tell a girl that he didn't even know that he was Spider-Man like he told Gwen in these movies.

Before someone brings up Ultimate Spider-Man, I will say that Peter thought of MJ as his best friend when he told her. At the start of ASM 1, Peter didn't even know that Gwen knew his name.

616-Peter was freaked out when MJ told him that she knew. And he tried to think of ways he could convince her that she was wrong. And this was someone he had known for years by that point.
    Tbh, I've never really liked him keeping this secret from her for too long. But they may have rushed it in ASM. At least be in a permanent relationship first

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tbh, I've never really liked him keeping this secret from her for too long. But they may have rushed it in ASM. At least be in a permanent relationship first
    They wanted to depict Gwen as perfect and good and always understanding so her death would hit that much harder. But there was no tension in their relationship. Their relationship was nothing but two pretty people making goo goo eyes at each other. They tried to insert some tension into ASM 2, but then she was cool with Peter stalking her.

Mighty Member

Some people try to argue that he was more of an ******* like Ditko era Peter. But Ditko era Peter was a loner who basically devoted his life to Spider-man and making a living to care for his aunt. He kept other people at an arms length and ended the one true romance he had because of Spider-man (cough cough the first two Sam Raimi movies.) I know the DB was referenced in TASM2, but did Peter even have a job in TASM?

He also wouldn't have handwaved his promise to Captain Stacy like he did at the end of TASM1 as it flies in the face of his origin story. To some extent I get why they did it, but they really made a mess of Peter's characterization in those movies. He was oddly moody, broody, and infatuated with Gwen.

Ultimate Member

They wanted to depict Gwen as perfect and good and always understanding so her death would hit that much harder. But there was no tension in their relationship. Their relationship was nothing but two pretty people making goo goo eyes at each other. They tried to insert some tension into ASM 2, but then she was cool with Peter stalking her.
    Yeah, honestly, with only a few movies, what was really the point of introduced Gwen only to kill her off? They went from barely a couple to already broken up. And stalking isn't at all something a hero should be doing.

Yeah, honestly, with only a few movies, what was really the point of introduced Gwen only to kill her off? They went from barely a couple to already broken up. And stalking isn't at all something a hero should be doing.
    The death of Gwen Stacy is a huge Spider-Man moment, so I absolutely get WHY they wanted to do it. But that ultimately ended up playing a big part in what dragged these movies down and led Sony to making their deal with Marvel. They really screwed it up so badly.

Ultimate Member

The death of Gwen Stacy is a huge Spider-Man moment, so I absolutely get WHY they wanted to do it. But that ultimately ended up playing a big part in what dragged these movies down and led Sony to making their deal with Marvel. They really screwed it up so badly.
    It is an important story to Peter, but they really didn't do it well, like you said

Astonishing Member

I don't get this criticism. You could say that about Uncle Ben as well. That's precisely the reason why the MCU doesn't bother to talk about him, and people still call BS on it.

Ultimate Member

I don't get this criticism. You could say that about Uncle Ben as well. That's precisely the reason why the MCU doesn't bother to talk about him, and people still call BS on it.
    Uncle Ben dies in the beginning as a motivation for Peter. They had years together, so they don't need much screen time to have a believable relationship. That's not the same with Gwen, whom he meets during the movie

And I've never had a problem with them not talking about Uncle Ben

Astonishing Member

Uncle Ben dies in the beginning as a motivation for Peter. They had years together, so they don't need much screen time to have a believable relationship. That's not the same with Gwen, whom he meets during the movie
    While the movies may be two hours, they take place over long periods of time. The first movie on its own was at least a couple of months.

Ultimate Member

While the movies may be two hours, they take place over long periods of time. The first movie on its own was at least a couple of months.
    True, but was it enough to develop the romance that far?

Astonishing Member

True, but was it enough to develop the romance that far?
    Not really. They needed at least ~2 year timeskip between 1 and 2, and that doesn't guarantee that they'll stay together.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I voted Meh. He played a Peter Parker I just didn't recognize and his Spider-Man was kind of annoying honestly.

I know some will probably say that he's better than Holland because he doesn't have a connection to Tony Stark but I really just can't get behind that, especially considering the emphasis this series placed on his obsession with his dead boring parents.