• Meh

17 27.42%
  • Terrible

12 19.35%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was waiting for it by FFH...
    FFH seemed to still be about Peter finding his identity. Honestly an already established Peter would probably be more humorous

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    FFH seemed to still be about Peter finding his identity. Honestly an already established Peter would probably be more humorous
    I don't think it's a pre-requisite although it seems like MCU Peter only jokes when he's too confident.

Ultimate Member

I don't think it's a pre-requisite although it seems like MCU Peter only jokes when he's too confident.
    It seems like it. In Homecoming he made a lot of comments when taking out the goons on the ferry, but stopped when he took on Vulture

BANNED

Uh...Tobey and Garfield quipped though?
    And Garfield came off as the most natural Spiderman quipper.

Tobey was okay but you could tell, that kind of humor was not Tobey's strongest acting style, however what made Tobey the best is because he represented the most human and relatable aspect of Peter Parker and Spiderman.

Honestly I cannot think of any 3 comic film scenes that moved me to tears when Tobey's Spiderman stopped that fast train in Spiderman 2. that scene to me is what defines Spiderman as arguably the greatest comic book hero of all time.

Mighty Member

Maguire's Spider-man was given more quips in the tie-in video games and I actually kind of liked his delivery in those. He just sounded like a regular smartass New Yorker. The movies though used them sparsely which I can understand from a tonal perspective.

Garfield's Spider-man was definitely the quippiest and he tried to play the role with a bit of cartoonish physical comedy (If I am not mistaken, he said he modeled his performance off of Bugs Bunny.) But there were also complaints about the jarring shifts in tone throughout his movies (especially the 2nd.)

I will never forget "a god named sparkles?"

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The writing is not that good or bad, it's was just generic. it's not good like Spiderman1 or 2 good.
    How so?

The acting is just alright. noting really stand up or noticeable like William Dafoe.
    Uh huh.

Also this is not what matters because Spiderman has a rich universe, maybe 5x more than Iron Man, so why keep dragging Iron Man in.
    Because it was a logical continuation of Spider-Man's introduction in Civil War? Because it made for a decent story arc? Because maybe something can be good even if you don't personally like it? Take a number.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    How so?

Because Holland's spiderman is written in a way that is too childish and simplistic , meaning not much substance. In the comics, Spiderman even the teen version always appeared far more mature than his peers.

Uh huh.
    Dafoe brought a horror, mystery, evil and darkness to the film that made him scary for real. This is a much superior villain, so high way up. I can assure you that this scene would never make it to any MCU Spiderman film

Because it was a logical continuation of Spider-Man's introduction in Civil War? Because it made for a decent story arc? Because maybe something can be good even if you don't personally like it? Take a number.
    No, because Spiderman has a richer universe than Iron Man and does not need Iron Man, that fact does not change in any incarnation of Spiderman and it is not really a decent spiderman story arc when he is hung up over Iron Man.

Garfield may not have been given the best material or best films to work with, but there was more Spiderman stuff about Garfield than Holland has ever done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Garfield's Spider-man was definitely the quippiest and he tried to play the role with a bit of cartoonish physical comedy (If I am not mistaken, he said he modeled his performance off of Bugs Bunny.) But there were also complaints about the jarring shifts in tone throughout his movies (especially the 2nd.)
    I think the films of Garfield as well looked too cartoonish. I can not watch the lizard fight scene in Amazing Spiderman 1 and not get turned off.

Another reason just to appreciate Raimi Spiderman 1 and 2 at least. this is the only Spiderman film where mostly nothing felt cartoonish.

Because Holland's spiderman is written in a way that is too childish and simplistic , meaning not much substance.
    So a 15-year-old questioning their place in things and trying to find their way in the world is childish, simplistic, and substance-less. Good to know.

In the comics, Spiderman even the teen version always appeared far more mature than his peers.
    Depends on the writer. (Also, if you're talking 616, you need to consider Ultimate, the thing the movie was actually based on,

Dafoe brought a horror, mystery, evil and darkness to the film that made him scary for real. This is a much superior villain, so high way up. I can assure you that this scene would never make it to any MCU Spiderman film[/quote]

And yet Vulture in the car proves that false. Try again.

No, because Spiderman has a richer universe than Iron Man and does not need Iron Man, that fact does not change in any incarnation of Spiderman and it is not really a decent spiderman story arc when he is hung up over Iron Man.
    The movie needs to mold itself to work with the TV show, not replicate the comics "just because" (remember how X-Men suffered when it did the comics "just because"?).

Garfield may not have been given the best material or best films to work with, but there was more Spiderman stuff about Garfield than Holland has ever done.
    The cringier elements, certainly.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think MCU Peter does have an issue with them infantilizing him because of so much emphasis being put on his age and the active adult figures in his life that you usually don't see with Spider-Man. Not even Ultimate.

I'd like to believe there was a way of integrating him into the MCU without the Iron Man dynamic but so much about MCU Spider-Man has been event-driven by the needs of the MCU rather than the core of the character in my opinion.

Astonishing Member

Because Holland's spiderman is written in a way that is too childish and simplistic , meaning not much substance. In the comics, Spiderman even the teen version always appeared far more mature than his peers.
    If by "mature", you mean "constantly frustrated", then I think that's been consistent amongst all of the Spider-Men.

Ultimate Member

I think MCU Peter does have an issue with them infantilizing him because of so much emphasis being put on his age and the active adult figures in his life that you usually don't see with Spider-Man. Not even Ultimate.

I'd like to believe there was a way of integrating him into the MCU without the Iron Man dynamic but so much about MCU Spider-Man has been event-driven by the needs of the MCU rather than the core of the character in my opinion.
    I think they could've done his dynamic with Iron Man more like in the Civil War comics, where they're friends and Tony helps him with the Iron Spider, but isn't really a mentor so much as a fellow hero. IMO that would've been better, although the whole hero who doesn't need help from anybody thing doesn't really work in the MCU

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think they could've done his dynamic with Iron Man more like in the Civil War comics, where they're friends and Tony helps him with the Iron Spider, but isn't really a mentor so much as a fellow hero. IMO that would've been better, although the whole hero who doesn't need help from anybody thing doesn't really work in the MCU
    Yeah, the current MCU is to dependent on superheroes interacting with each other.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yeah, the current MCU is to dependent on superheroes interacting with each other.
    I don't really see that as a problem tbh. The whole "solo hero" thing is a bit old-fashioned IMO