13 20.97%
  • Meh

17 27.42%
  • Terrible

12 19.35%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Not really. They needed at least ~2 year timeskip between 1 and 2, and that doesn't guarantee that they'll stay together.
    And by ASM2 their relationship fell apart anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I voted Meh. He played a Peter Parker I just didn't recognize and his Spider-Man was kind of annoying honestly.

I know some will probably say that he's better than Holland because he doesn't have a connection to Tony Stark but I really just can't get behind that, especially considering the emphasis this series placed on his obsession with his dead boring parents.
    The dead parents thing was annoying. I don't recall him ever that obsessed with it elsewhere

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And by ASM2 their relationship fell apart anyway
    Of course. Romance is rarely perfect.

The dead parents thing was annoying. I don't recall him ever that obsessed with it elsewhere
    Ultimate Spider-Man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Peter would never just tell a girl that he didn't even know that he was Spider-Man like he told Gwen in these movies..
    To be fair, isn’t this a problem with all of the live action Spideys? None of the MJs were exactly friends with Peter prior to getting together.

Ultimate Member

Ultimate Spider-Man
    But did their romance have to be stupid?

I haven't read much ultimate Spider-Man as much as 616

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    To be fair, isn’t this a problem with all of the live action Spideys? None of the MJs were exactly friends with Peter prior to getting together.
    He didn't tell Raimi MJ. She just saw him unmasked. But they at least knew each other by the time we meet them in Spider-Man 1. MJ even went to visit Aunt May while she was in the hospital. While "friends" may have been a bit much in describing their relationship in Spidey 1, they were at least "friendly" toward each other.

MCU MJ is another story. She's outright tsundere toward Peter. I think they wanted to "surprise" the audience that Zendaya was MJ, so they had her acting distinctly un-MJ. (I don't really like the way the MCU handles Spidey and his supporting cast but that's a whole other discussion.)

These movies promoted the idea that stalking is love. They are bad romances.

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Not to the extent he does in these movies. Holy crap, I wanted him to just shut up about Richard Parker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    In the Raimi films, Peter didn't tell MJ and rejected her in the first movie because of his alter ego. She found out in the climax of the second film. They had also known each other since childhood in those movies, and there was a two-year gap between 1 and 2 where they were "just friends."

In the Marc Webb films, Peter told Gwen on their first date.

Ultimate Member

He didn't tell Raimi MJ. She just saw him unmasked. But they at least knew each other by the time we meet them in Spider-Man 1. MJ even went to visit Aunt May while she was in the hospital. While "friends" may have been a bit much in describing their relationship in Spidey 1, they were at least "friendly" toward each other.

MCU MJ is another story. She's outright tsundere toward Peter. I think they wanted to "surprise" the audience that Zendaya was MJ, so they had her acting distinctly un-MJ. (I don't really like the way the MCU handles Spidey and his supporting cast but that's a whole other discussion.)
    That was my only real problem with MCU MJ is her stalker-ish behavior in Homecoming.

Arrow

I'll rate his performance passable, if barely.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

As Spider-man, he was fine. You really just have to be quippy and animated, and he does that pretty well.

His Peter Parker however, it felt like a weird compromise between Ultimate Spider-man and College Era Spider-man which an extra dash of "Cool".
    I didn't like the fact he was a skateboarder, it feels like such a minor gripe but it's also confusing.
    But that could just be me
    Their relationship worked, but some of the dialogue is terrible

I liked his voice as Spidey.

His Parker was dreadful, and the movie's handling of Parker, his parents, and more was just awful. The only thing important about Parker's parents should be that they aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That was my only real problem with MCU MJ is her stalker-ish behavior in Homecoming.
    I think one could ask why Peter even likes MCU MJ beyond the fact that "she's MJ so of course Peter likes her". But like I said, I don't really like how they handle MCU Spidey and his supporting cast.

Ultimate Member

I think one could ask why Peter even likes MCU MJ beyond the fact that "she's MJ so of course Peter likes her". But like I said, I don't really like how they handle MCU Spidey and his supporting cast.
    I like him having someone he can talk to. Him not sharing his identity with at least someone isn't something I care for in earlier incarnations. So I'm glad his close friends and family know

But I don't really buy most of these romances in these movies. Either they're half-baked or mismatched. I actually don't even dislike this romance relative to other superhero movie romances. I just think most are pointless.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Mik;5494174]I like him having someone he can talk to. Him not sharing his identity with at least someone isn't something I care for in earlier incarnations. So I'm glad his close friends and family know

But I don't really buy most of these romances in these movies. Either they're half-baked or mismatched. I actually don't even dislike this romance relative to other superhero movie romances. I just think most are pointless.[/QUOTE
    Romances can work IF the actors and ( or) actresses are good enough to make you think of the character not the person playing them. Take Errol Flynn. In real life, he was a drunk and was into teenaged girls ( that alone makes you think creep), but when you see a movie of his you think tough guy and charmer not creep. Vincent Price and Boris Karloff were the opposite. Very sophisticated gentleman in real life ( art collectors etc), but when you see them on screen, you think monsters. By comparison Rock Hudson did a movie called Come September, with Gina Lollobrigida. I happen to like women with figures like Gina, Sophia Loren, Elsa Martinelli, Marilyn Monroe and Salma Hayak, and I saw a gay man doing a fake romantic scene with an actress I like, not the character, so I did not believe it for one second. Why? Hudson does not have the talent of Flynn, Price or Karloff that allows you to suspend belief for a couple of hours.

Raimi Peter and MJ were definitely friends in SM1. Maybe not the closest of friends, but that's the only version other than Ultimate where there was history between them before they dated (not counting Shailene Woodley's erased MJ from The Amazing films).

I don't get the choice for MCU MJ's portrayal. She was acting so deliberately non-MJ that I (and many) first theorised it was a ruse because she was a famous Hannah Montana-esque pop star or supermodel and didn't want people to catch on about her secret identity similar to Peter/Spidey's behavior. I still like that theory so much more than what we got.

This video tries to make a case for the MCU's decision with MJ to middling success, I feel.

Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-19-2021 at 10:58 AM.