13 20.97%
  • Meh

17 27.42%
  • Terrible

12 19.35%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's not appealing anymore post-marriage, but I think it's an important part of his character arc growing up. Plain nerdy Peter who can't get dates or who is hung up on one girl (like Raimi's) has just never been who he was as a character. So nerdy guy getting the hot girl was never that much of a thing, it kind of seems to be invented as a narrative to undermine his romance to MJ and why it shouldn't work. Because through the 80s and 90s, it was just two hot people. Even in the Ditko days, he was no more unattractive than anybody else, his main issues were being shy/introverted and the attitude he displayed not being appealing to his classmates. Once he opened up in college, it's more believable for Gwen and MJ to be attracted to him.

Harry and Norman have the unfortunate "corn row" hair.
    Maybe I haven't read enough pre-90s Spider-Man, but having a bunch of girlfriends seems more annoying to me as a reader. One of the things I least care about in comics is "who's hooking up with who." It's like no one's stable enough to have a permanent relationship, but no one is confident enough to just be alone. And I agree it's really not appealing post-marriage.

How did those two get cornrows? They're White, and it was in the 60s when White people didn't even do that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe I haven't read enough pre-90s Spider-Man, but having a bunch of girlfriends seems more annoying to me as a reader. One of the things I least care about in comics is "who's hooking up with who." It's like no one's stable enough to have a permanent relationship, but no one is confident enough to just be alone. And I agree it's really not appealing post-marriage.

How did those two get cornrows? They're White, and it was in the 60s when White people didn't even do that.
    Regardless if it is subjectively annoying or not, it's part of his character and growth experience and it was canon. It also informs us of how we are meant to view him looks wise, and it tells us that Peter the plain nerd is pretty much untrue and always has been. It isn't welcome post-marriage, but that's because it's character regression in general at that point and stems from a lot of misogyny towards MJ, not that it never suited Peter in the first place.

The two Osborn men have weird comic book genetics lol.

Mighty Member

Yeah, I'd say the musical chairs of romantic interests is pretty much a coming of age story for Peter.

Oh as for the Osborns, their hairstyle is SUPPOSED to be based off of actor Joseph Cotten, but instead of trying to translate that hairstyle, later artists just directly used Ditko's interpretation of that hair do making it look weird in modern times.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Regardless if it is subjectively annoying or not, it's part of his character and growth experience and it was canon. It also informs us of how we are meant to view him looks wise, and it tells us that Peter the plain nerd is pretty much untrue and always has been. It isn't welcome post-marriage, but that's because it's character regression in general at that point and stems from a lot of misogyny towards MJ, not that it never suited Peter in the first place.

The two Osborn men have weird comic book genetics lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah, I'd say the musical chairs of romantic interests is pretty much a coming of age story for Peter.

Oh as for the Osborns, their hairstyle is SUPPOSED to be based off of actor Joseph Cotten, but instead of trying to translate that hairstyle, later artists just directly used Ditko's interpretation of that hair do making it look weird in modern times.
    Well, I wish Marvel would move past that phase of Peter's life.

I had no idea that was based on Joseph cotten. Thanks, Mistah K88

Garfield was pretty spot on for me. Especially his Spider-Man. Tobey seemed too....sleepy? His Peter was fine, but his Spidey was too quiet.

Holland reminds me of Ultimate Spidey a lot, but while I do like him, it's kinda hard to look at him and go "That's Spider-Man". Then again, Spider-Man hasn't had the presence he deserves in the MCU yet, so maybe that's why

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Garfield was pretty spot on for me. Especially his Spider-Man. Tobey seemed too....sleepy? His Peter was fine, but his Spidey was too quiet.

Holland reminds me of Ultimate Spidey a lot, but while I do like him, it's kinda hard to look at him and go "That's Spider-Man". Then again, Spider-Man hasn't had the presence he deserves in the MCU yet, so maybe that's why
    What presence do you think he should get in the MCU?

BANNED

I voted meh. Peter is supposed to be the likeable relatable everyman and Garfield did not have that quality. But I remember when my brain forever turned off from me actually loving Garfield Spiderman. it was the dinner scene in the first scene where he came off very rude and condensing to Mr Stacy when he was tying to explain why Spiderman was a good person.

Sony's Spider-Man movies permanently destroyed my love of that character. I still like him, but not in the way I did before I saw those films.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Sony's Spider-Man movies permanently destroyed my love of that character. I still like him, but not in the way I did before I saw those films.
    Damn, that's harsh

BANNED

Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire Sony Spiderman movies as still the best portrayal of the character. there has been so many different metrics and story call backs from the spiderman universe that has shown this result that Tobey gave the strongest portrayal overall. while I think Garfield was meh, he still had other...more qualities of Spiderman and Peter, that Tom Holland has not shown but Maguire portrayed better.

I will rank them as

1. Tobey
    2. Garfield
    3. Holland

Tobey is the best, because he got the most part of the character right. Garfield, got some parts right, Holland has yet to get any part right or even come into the role of Spiderman because he is too stuck been a mini tony stark and also, his Spiderman is also way too childish. Spiderman is not meant to be childish. his stories cross between strong YA-Adult. It should not be kid friendly. Garfield though got some of the YA part down including first loves but it was more angst.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-25-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire Sony Spiderman movies as still the best portrayal of the character.
    Josh Keaton? I'd also say Jack Johnson's Peter Benjamin Parker in Into the Spider-Verse was, in his own way, superior to ALL of the live action portrayals of Peter so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Damn, that's harsh
    I think I started to lose some of my connection to Parker after I got older than him in the comics and later on in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire Sony Spiderman movies as still the best portrayal of the character. there has been so many different metrics and story call backs from the spiderman universe that has shown this result that Tobey gave the strongest portrayal overall. while I think Garfield was meh, he still had other...more qualities of Spiderman and Peter, that Tom Holland has not shown but Maguire portrayed better.

I will rank them as

1. Tobey
    2. Garfield
    3. Holland

Tobey is the best, because he got the most part of the character right. Garfield, got some parts right, Holland has yet to get any part right or even come into the role of Spiderman because he is too stuck been a mini tony stark and also, his Spiderman is also way too childish. Spiderman is not meant to be childish. his stories cross between strong YA-Adult. It should not be kid friendly. Garfield though got some of the YA part down including first loves but it was more angst.
    I liked the Raimi movies the best too. I thought the third one in his trilogy was hilarious even if it was really crowded. But some of the dialogue in that first trio of movies was just lol-worthy:

"You don't understand! I'm not an empty seat anymore! I'm different! Punch me, I bleed!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Josh Keaton? I'd also say Jack Johnson's Peter Benjamin Parker in Into the Spider-Verse was, in his own way, superior to ALL of the live action portrayals of Peter so far.
    Yes, Spiderverse peter was very good and why I personally liked it was because it felt like what a Raimi Spiderman 5 or 6 could have been. I buy an overweight peter trying to save his marriage to MJ and at the same time helping out a younger Spiderman Miles Morales.

However my POV was only limited to the 3 actors who have stared in live action Spiderman films and Garfield was a step down from Tobey. On the brighter side, he is coming back for MCU Spiderman 3, so maybe he would have some redemption.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-25-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Ultimate Member

I liked the Raimi movies the best too. I thought the third one in his trilogy was hilarious even if it was really crowded. But some of the dialogue in that first trio of movies was just lol-worthy:

"You don't understand! I'm not an empty seat anymore! I'm different! Punch me, I bleed!"
    Yeah, a lot of Raimi dialogue is a bit cringe.

Still beats "How dare I? How dare you!"