Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you. if you know of more guys who dont get enough credit let me know.
    This is a tribute to the initial story Len Wein and Dave Cockrum did. Each page is duplicated by a different art team. If you haven't read the story, this may be a good way to get a little about the team that started it all.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...cockrum_2020_1
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is a tribute to the initial story Len Wein and Dave Cockrum did. Each page is duplicated by a different art team. If you haven't read the story, this may be a good way to get a little about the team that started it all.

Thanks I will check it out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

I'm curious, why is nobody but me saying Thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I love Roy's work, but with the exception of the Golden Age characters he loved dearly, his work was seen as a follow-up to Stan Lee. Was he good? Sure. Great? maybe. But Greatest was a bit out of what most people saw in that work.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Ultimate Member

I'd say Claremont, Denny O' Neil, and maybe Steve Gerber. Right under them I'd say Steve Englehart and Don McGregor. Each one of them has their own flaws, but they made their marks in comics as writers.

Stan Lee is an industry giant, but for reason beyond just his scripting. Seriously, at the exact same time he was breaking ground on Spidey and the FF, he was churning out hack work on other comics.

Ultimate Member

I love Roy's work, but with the exception of the Golden Age characters he loved dearly, his work was seen as a follow-up to Stan Lee. Was he good? Sure. Great? maybe. But Greatest was a bit out of what most people saw in that work.
    I feel the same way. Roy was fine, but outside of his Conan (and maybe his Avengers) with Buscema, most folks saw him as Stan's protege.

Astonishing Member

Moore is way overrated. I'll go with Claremont.

Retired

I think the most thankless job was being an Editor-in-Chief at Marvel Comics. It seems to me like every guy who had the post got bad-mouthed by the people who had to work for him. This is probably what damaged Roy Thomas in the eyes of others.

Boisterously Confused

I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying that was the greatest. However, I also take in his work on fantasy titles. His name's worth discussing.

Boisterously Confused

I was unaware of this! Thanks Capt.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Moore is way overrated. I'll go with Claremont.
    Na, Claremont had one great run, while Moore, had multiple great runs.

Boisterously Confused

The more that I read of your opinions, I have to agree with the view that Lee was probably seen as the greatest before Moore. But I also think there probably was no one single talent deserving of the title of the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I think most people would figure he was never more popular than Stan Lee, especially since Stan Lee got undeserved credit for Kirby and Ditko's contributions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This is true. but the Xmen is one of if not their biggest brand and have been for a long time. I think had Claremont not reinvented the Xmen that they would have waited many more years before they became huge, if that even would have happened. most likely they would have ended up a cult like franchise with in marvel.
    That is a fair point. It might be like Defenders or Moon Knight without Claremont.

For the purposes of this discussion, I don't know if Claremont was popular enough to be seen as the best writer in comics.

Alan Moore exploded in the mid-80s with Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Superman: For the Man Who Had Everything, Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Watchmen, and V For Vendetta.

Claremont had a head start, with the peak of his X-Men run a few years earlier. In 1982, he had the Brood saga, God Loves Man Kills, and the Wolverine mini-series. Although I don't know if anyone at that point was calling him the best writer in comics, let alone whether that was the consensus.

He was very popular, but there's now even more of a critical consensus that he was very good.

The Claremont Run twitter account is an excellent analysis of what makes his work unique.

https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun

Ed Piskor had an in-depth interview with him where Claremont is correctly treated as one of the best writers in comics.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think most people would figure he was never more popular than Stan Lee, especially since Stan Lee got undeserved credit for Kirby and Ditko's contributions.
    Kirby lied a lot though and he came across as being bitter so it's hard to take him at his word.