Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27,410

    Default The Riddler (Edward Nigma)

    Since the Riddler usually rates among the favorite Batman villains on other threads here at CBR, and it looks like he's going to be around in the current Catwoman comic book for now, I thought it might be a good idea to give him a fresh thread all his own.

    Cover to his first appearance in Detective Comics #140 (October 1948):


    From Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XIX (September 1986),


    And the cover of last month's Catwoman #29:

    though I have no idea why his question marks are backwards . . .

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    BTAS version will always be my favorite

    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-17-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6,450

    Default

    hmm just had a weird idea about Riddler teaming up with Livewire to make his standard puzzles a bit more difficult.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    BTAS version will always be my favorite

    I always preferred the demeanor, personality, and seriousness they gave this version of Riddler - all three of his episodes are genuinely smart and he’s by no means a joke character as he sometimes gets treated in other stories.

    Of course, there’s also only three episodes that feature him as the main antagonist, so it’s a rather limited array of appearances.

    If it were me, I’d take this Riddler’s attitude and style, but replace the video game designed background with the ex-cop one from the Arkham series and Gotham, and just make sure he gets written seriously.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

    I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Riddler has always been one of my top favourite Batman Rogues.

    My favourite versions of the character were the DCAU (wish they did more with him outside of the BTAS episodes), The Batman (his focused episodes were interesting), Young Justice (that scene with him losing it over the "Straitjacket"), and the Arkham/ Telltale games.

    For me, Nygma should be more Blackgate than Arkham Inmate; he's not so much an insane as he is a compulsive narcissist. I loved his short-lived time as a reformed private consultant.

    Personal favorite designs:

    Riddler 1.jpg
    Riddler 2.jpg

  6. #6
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27,410

    Default




    from Countdown #33 (November 2007)

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Riddler has always been one of my top favourite Batman Rogues.

    My favourite versions of the character were the DCAU (wish they did more with him outside of the BTAS episodes), The Batman (his focused episodes were interesting), Young Justice (that scene with him losing it over the "Straitjacket"), and the Arkham/ Telltale games.

    For me, Nygma should be more Blackgate than Arkham Inmate; he's not so much an insane as he is a compulsive narcissist. I loved his short-lived time as a reformed private consultant.

    Personal favorite designs:

    Riddler 1.jpg
    Riddler 2.jpg
    I can't stand the Young Justice version of the Riddler. I didn't like his design (why mutton chops?), his lisp voice or the fact that the other villains treated him as a joker.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Riddle me this: If you know me, you'll want to share me but if you share me, I'll be gone. What am I?

  9. #9
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Mothcave
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    I always liked the 'Riddle me that' arc in LotDK. It ret-conned that Eddie actually didn't cheat in the puzzle but was a brilliant child but his abusive father forced him to hide and be shamed of it, which ties into his need to show his intelligence as The Riddler.

    This was during a period where DC seemed to be building Riddler up for something massive (possibly by Judd Winnick, who was writing Batman and crossed him into Green Arrow) but lead to nothing after Infinite Crisis.
    Theorising that it could travel within its own timeline, DC stepped into the Crisis accelerator and vanished. DC awoke to find itself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not its own, and driven by editorial to change history *for the better* *to be more cohesive* *Silver Age nostalgia* *for the sake of it*. And so DC finds itself leaping from Crisis to Crisis, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that the next leap will be to a perfect DC Universe…

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    Riddle me this: If you know me, you'll want to share me but if you share me, I'll be gone. What am I?
    I can't say that, it's a secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I always liked the 'Riddle me that' arc in LotDK. It ret-conned that Eddie actually didn't cheat in the puzzle but was a brilliant child but his abusive father forced him to hide and be shamed of it, which ties into his need to show his intelligence as The Riddler.

    This was during a period where DC seemed to be building Riddler up for something massive (possibly by Judd Winnick, who was writing Batman and crossed him into Green Arrow) but lead to nothing after Infinite Crisis.
    Yeah, villain or not, Riddler is genuinely super-smart. Most people can't do what he does because they just can't think through the task far enough

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    289

    Default

    The Riddler is one of my all-time favorite Batman villains and he absolutely belongs in the top five.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member signalman112's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    Frank Gorshin, The All-Time Best Live-Action Riddler


    FGorshinRiddler.jpg

  13. #13
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27,410

    Default


    from Detective Comics Annual #2 (1989)

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    9,423

    Default

    Quick question
    In the 90s there's a story of Riddler almost killing a baby by making her hard to breathe that Batman had to carve an emergency tube through her throat
    That seems uncharacteristically dark, and not just because I'm coming from Batman 66 and Forever but also every single Riddler iteration I saw has him kinda goofy or dorky, excepting that and Tom King.
    Don't know what's the name of the story or issue number

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    Riddle me this: If you know me, you'll want to share me but if you share me, I'll be gone. What am I?
    Love?

    He's one of my friends favorite villians.


    I was fond of this short.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •