Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Riddler (Edward Nigma)

Since the Riddler usually rates among the favorite Batman villains on other threads here at CBR, and it looks like he's going to be around in the current Catwoman comic book for now, I thought it might be a good idea to give him a fresh thread all his own.

Cover to his first appearance in Detective Comics #140 (October 1948):

From Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XIX (September 1986),

And the cover of last month's Catwoman #29:

though I have no idea why his question marks are backwards . . .

BTAS version will always be my favorite

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-17-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

hmm just had a weird idea about Riddler teaming up with Livewire to make his standard puzzles a bit more difficult.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    BTAS version will always be my favorite

I always preferred the demeanor, personality, and seriousness they gave this version of Riddler - all three of his episodes are genuinely smart and he’s by no means a joke character as he sometimes gets treated in other stories.

Of course, there’s also only three episodes that feature him as the main antagonist, so it’s a rather limited array of appearances.

If it were me, I’d take this Riddler’s attitude and style, but replace the video game designed background with the ex-cop one from the Arkham series and Gotham, and just make sure he gets written seriously.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

Riddler has always been one of my top favourite Batman Rogues.

My favourite versions of the character were the DCAU (wish they did more with him outside of the BTAS episodes), The Batman (his focused episodes were interesting), Young Justice (that scene with him losing it over the "Straitjacket"), and the Arkham/ Telltale games.

For me, Nygma should be more Blackgate than Arkham Inmate; he's not so much an insane as he is a compulsive narcissist. I loved his short-lived time as a reformed private consultant.

Personal favorite designs:

Riddler 1.jpg
    Riddler 2.jpg

from Countdown #33 (November 2007)

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Riddler has always been one of my top favourite Batman Rogues.

My favourite versions of the character were the DCAU (wish they did more with him outside of the BTAS episodes), The Batman (his focused episodes were interesting), Young Justice (that scene with him losing it over the "Straitjacket"), and the Arkham/ Telltale games.

For me, Nygma should be more Blackgate than Arkham Inmate; he's not so much an insane as he is a compulsive narcissist. I loved his short-lived time as a reformed private consultant.

Personal favorite designs:

Riddler 1.jpg
    Riddler 2.jpg
    I can't stand the Young Justice version of the Riddler. I didn't like his design (why mutton chops?), his lisp voice or the fact that the other villains treated him as a joker.

BANNED

Riddle me this: If you know me, you'll want to share me but if you share me, I'll be gone. What am I?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I always liked the 'Riddle me that' arc in LotDK. It ret-conned that Eddie actually didn't cheat in the puzzle but was a brilliant child but his abusive father forced him to hide and be shamed of it, which ties into his need to show his intelligence as The Riddler.

This was during a period where DC seemed to be building Riddler up for something massive (possibly by Judd Winnick, who was writing Batman and crossed him into Green Arrow) but lead to nothing after Infinite Crisis.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    Riddle me this: If you know me, you'll want to share me but if you share me, I'll be gone. What am I?
    I can't say that, it's a secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I always liked the 'Riddle me that' arc in LotDK. It ret-conned that Eddie actually didn't cheat in the puzzle but was a brilliant child but his abusive father forced him to hide and be shamed of it, which ties into his need to show his intelligence as The Riddler.

This was during a period where DC seemed to be building Riddler up for something massive (possibly by Judd Winnick, who was writing Batman and crossed him into Green Arrow) but lead to nothing after Infinite Crisis.
    Yeah, villain or not, Riddler is genuinely super-smart. Most people can't do what he does because they just can't think through the task far enough

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

The Riddler is one of my all-time favorite Batman villains and he absolutely belongs in the top five.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Frank Gorshin, The All-Time Best Live-Action Riddler

FGorshinRiddler.jpg

from Detective Comics Annual #2 (1989)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quick question
    In the 90s there's a story of Riddler almost killing a baby by making her hard to breathe that Batman had to carve an emergency tube through her throat
    That seems uncharacteristically dark, and not just because I'm coming from Batman 66 and Forever but also every single Riddler iteration I saw has him kinda goofy or dorky, excepting that and Tom King.
    Don't know what's the name of the story or issue number

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    Love?

He's one of my friends favorite villians.

I was fond of this short.