Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

The Jobs comparison is apt, ego-driven hype man. Love Bill Burr, probably gave best description of Jobs. NSFW (again, Bill Burr), but for those who haven't seen or looking to be amused again here's his take:

As to auto-18 wheelers, I agree big business will do it as soon as it becomes viable. My question is less about their ability to get them from point A to point B, and how they're going to navigate parking lots and backing up/lining up. Feel like being on an interstate is doable (perhaps not now, but soon). The rest, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The tech's closer than you're giving it credit for, and you're grossly underestimating the economic pressures driving it. The AI is less an issue than the infrastructural road markers, and the insurance liability questions.

Next year? No. Five? No bet.

We agree Musk is fulla ****. All salesmen are.
    Not from what I have read.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/9/25...ill-years-away

Experts say we're decades from fully autonomous cars. Here's why.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rs-seat-police

It's really close, folks <3

Two men died after a Tesla vehicle, which was believed to be operating without anyone in the driver’s seat, crashed into a tree north of Houston, authorities said.

“There was no one in the driver’s seat,” Sgt Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris County Constable Precinct 4 said of the crash on Saturday night.

The 2019 Tesla Model S was traveling at high speed when it failed to negotiate a curve and went off the roadway, crashing to a tree and bursting into flames, local television station KHOU-TV said.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

for a famous non-comedian he has a top tier twitter account

One traumatic head injury short of becoming a Bond villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Elon Musk did not invent or build the Tesla car. That was by the engineers Eberhard and Tarpenning. He came in very late as an investor and then hijacked the brand.

It boggles my mind that people buy and accept that Musk is some kind of inventor or scientist. What he is, is a businessman who uses media frenzy and a gullible media to build up excitement and interest in fancy futuristic sounding ideas (grounded it must be said on pre-existing ideas and systems so he's not a total flimflam man) while living it large.

His family made money in apartheid South Africa and dodgy investment in mines.
    The rich man who appropriates others’ inventions is nothing new:

https://www.sapiensdigital.com/thoma...r-villain.html

Edit: …but Edison contributed more to personally ameliorate them than Musk.
    Last edited by Zelena; 04-19-2021 at 12:32 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The modern day Thomas Edison, if Edison started out with a far bigger bankroll to screw over other creators. In terms of crediting oneself for the work of other scientists, one of the worst we've seen in a century. But if you invest enough in PR to fool people, they'll be convinced you're "the real life Tony Stark" when you're even a poor man's Justin Hammer.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The modern day Thomas Edison, if Edison started out with a far bigger bankroll to screw over other creators. In terms of crediting oneself for the work of other scientists, one of the worst we've seen in a century. But if you invest enough in PR to fool people, they'll be convinced you're "the real life Tony Stark" when you're even a poor man's Justin Hammer.
    Musk is Tony Stark without the charm or delightfully snarky personality.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Except Edison did actually invent some stuff in addition to what he stold.

"Thomas Edison but more of a thief and less innovative" is pretty harsh.

I accept your assessment.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Musk is Tony Stark without the charm or delightfully snarky personality.
    Well Tony Stark in the MCU did take credit for Mysterio's invention, however being a Disney/Marvel product, the movie frames Tony Stark as being in the right for doing so.

Tony Stark originally was based on Howard Hughes, who had some skills as an inventor and was personally courageous in testing his own planes and even suffering an injury when it crashed. But for the new movie they used Elon as a more up-to-date model, and the association with Stark has helped Musk.

Extraordinary Member

Like Jobs, I think him a brilliant promoter, and he may have some gift for seeing what might be possible. I don't believe he has ever designed a single thing, but has driven others to develop innovations based on his idea of what's cool.

I also think he is certain of his ability to will change into being to point that approaches delusional.
    Well, he seems to me to have changed a lot of things. He's bolder than just about anyone. He's obviously a genius, (dual degrees in physics and economics), He works so hard the board had to tell him to cool it. He's making products the future will need, and he's nearly single handedly revived the idea of not only going to Mars, but planting colonies there, which is something we HAVE to do if Humanity wants to survive a planetary disaster. He is also the greatest real supervillain we have who isn't a homicidal maniac; more like Lex Luthor if Lex decided to be a good guy. Mostly. At least he's not building an armored suit to fight Superman. I think he's not, anyway...

Extraordinary Member

Of course, so did Musk. Guy was accepted into a PH. D. program at Stanford in Physics/Materials Science

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Elon Musk did not invent or build the Tesla car. That was by the engineers Eberhard and Tarpenning. He came in very late as an investor and then hijacked the brand.

It boggles my mind that people buy and accept that Musk is some kind of inventor or scientist. What he is, is a businessman who uses media frenzy and a gullible media to build up excitement and interest in fancy futuristic sounding ideas (grounded it must be said on pre-existing ideas and systems so he's not a total flimflam man) while living it large.

His family made money in apartheid South Africa and dodgy investment in mines.
    I think people believe that because he is a sort of scientist and and inventor. He has quite a few patents to his name, a dual degree in physics and economics, plus the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Of course, so did Musk. Guy was accepted into a PH. D. program at Stanford in Physics/Materials Science
    That doesn't mean remotely what you think it does.

Stanford is good, but MIT is better, lol! Or even Berkeley.

As for Musk and his grandstanding...colonizing Mars and settling there is a major pipedream because the planet and its atmosphere is uninhabitable as of present. We haven't solved problems on energy and so far his ideas are essentially based on dated science-fiction and not real science.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I think people believe that because he is a sort of scientist and and inventor. He has quite a few patents to his name, a dual degree in physics and economics, plus the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
    Oy vey, if you are going to use the qualifier "sort of" then you have lost.

No one is "sort of" a scientist. You are either a scientist or you are not. You either publish papers for peer review, have a solid documentary record of engineering and blueprints that you design or not, you either develop the algorithms or you don't.