Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Infinite Frontier: Secret Files Digital Series Discussion & Spoilers

I know its odd talking new comics on a Sunday but that's when DC had its new digital series Infinite Frontier: Secret Files come out, which will be collected in a print one-shot come June. But its out now in Digital and I want a place to talk about it, so much like Next Batman: Second Son I just started a Digital series discussion thread, because the way I see since it clearly says digital if you want to wait for the one-shot in June then you have ample warning to avoid spoilers here.

Alright well with that out of the way, issue 1 is out today, written by Brandon Thomas & Joshua Williamson (who I assume is on all of the stories because of Infinite Frontier being his thing), and if you were hoping for some big connection to Darksied or the mysteries of the omniverse.....well you are out of luck. Because this is a secret files it does what most secret files issues have done in the past, character introduction. Basically Williamson and everyone else in this series feel to be just getting you into the characters who will be part of the big main event come June but that is not necessarily a bad thing considering that some people may not know President Superman or Alan Scott and his Kids.

This first issue is focused on Calvin Ellis aka President Superman, and basically its a really good Superman story focusing on the issues that Calvin has to deal with in terms of all his responsibilities as Superman of Earth-23, Superman of the Justice Incarnate, and President of the United States. He's got a lot to take on and because of certain shenanigans it's just him with no one able to cover for him. However its not as if we see him succumb to the struggle and lose his cool, at the end of the day Calvin is as Superman as Clark is, so he does his best to make time for everyone, even finding a lost dog for a child. You also get to see how he gets around it because he's smart and resourceful, not to mention he has his coping mechanisms. Honestly its a great Calvin story and also a good introduction if you a newer reader of Calvin.

I also want to praise the art, because Valentine De Landro makes it feels like classic superman and really works with the more quirky world that Calvin lives in considering his connection to the multiverse.

Overall a good start and I'm looking forward to the Ray Harper issue that is coming next.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Alright second issue time, this one focusing on Roy Harper and written by Stephanie Phillips (current Harley Quinn writer) and if I’m honest I’m not really sure how people are going to feel on this one. I say that because it’s kind of a catch up with Roy while exploring his current mindset but it’s also a weird compilation of all his history.

To explain what I mean by compilation we see classic Speedy in the opening, but then we get his new 52 Arsenal suit and what looks like his Young Justice Red Arrow outfit, of course with a trucker hat. In fact the issue even recalls that he was with the Justice League, The Outlaws, and I think a reference to his time working for Slades evil Titans. Which unfortunately brings us to what people will hate because all this referencing includes Cry for justice but also not really, because Lian is dead and it was the Electrocutionar but it doesn’t show Roy losing his arm. So I guess with everything back in continuity this is their attempt at making Roy’s history make sense.

But other then the history lesson all Roy gets up to is that he’s in a bar fight, kind of directionless after all he’s been through and roaming on a motorcycle.

Anyway I don’t think it’s as good an issue as the first one with President Superman, that issue felt like following someone we don’t see a lot of and watching a day in his life as Superman while this was just summing up Roy before the main infinite frontier event but unlike Calvin Ellis and next issues Jade and Obsidian I’m not sure it works all that well for a character like Roy who has been around consistently this past decade or so.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Damn they brought Cry for Justice back? That sucks but hey, the people who wanted us to go back to the wholesome and hopeful era of Pre-FP will be happy
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Damn they brought Cry for Justice back? That sucks but hey, the people who wanted us to go back to the wholesome and hopeful era of Pre-FP will be happy
    They only sort of brought it back in the most vague of ways, Electrocutioner being responsible for the death of Lian yes but Prometheus, Star City’s destruction, and the lost arm weren’t.
    Words to live by.

Lian's still dead ?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    They only sort of brought it back in the most vague of ways, Electrocutioner being responsible for the death of Lian yes but Prometheus, Star City’s destruction, and the lost arm weren’t.
    Why even bring that back then I wonder? Nobody wanted that referenced because it was a terrible idea.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Why even bring that back then I wonder? Nobody wanted that referenced because it was a terrible idea.
    Endgame is bringing Lian back, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Endgame is bringing Lian back, maybe?
    Leave it to DC to decide “read our miniseries and maybe at the end we’ll undo this dumb choice we made!” instead of just... undoing it. Especially since it was already erased from continuity!

Leave it to DC to decide “read our miniseries and maybe at the end we’ll undo this dumb choice we made!” instead of just... undoing it. Especially since it was already erased from continuity!
    I mean same mini-series that is saying “hey the JSA are back in continuity....but some of them are missing.”
    Words to live by.

One panel showed Red Robin in his Rebirth costume... but the other characters in that panel were Speedy, Kid Flash and Wonder Girl. It was supposed to be the original Teen Titans, so it should've been original costume Dick Grayson Robin - not Tim Drake!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Alright new issue and this time focusing on some fan favorite characters who have been missing since the new 52 started, as this issue is devoted to Infinity Inc/JSA/sometimes Green Lantern characters Jade and Obsidian. This issue is actually right after the events of the Infinite Frontier #0 story where Alan Scott came out of the closet, however this is not about that because Jade is very accepting of her family and obsidian himself is gay. No this is more of a fear of power.

See besides playing up the whole star heart angle and even her time with the green lanterns, which I’m assuming is supposed to be tying the Scott family closer to the corps, Jade is afraid of using her powers too much because she can feel through her connection to the Starheart that the universe is reborn/different and thus her powers feel different, however it’s through her brother Obsidian that she learns that she just needs to learn to live with it and overcome fear, because that’s what life is all about and thus she allows herself to take off flying.

Generally it’s a pretty short and simple story of learning to take risks and enjoy life. I think it really is just serving to remind people who Jade and Obsidian are since it’s been a decade or more since anyone last saw them in any real depth. I also think it’s meant to tie into certain things going on in the dc universe with Jade recognizing her powers are different because of the infinite frontier changes but also maybe acknowledging some of the stuff going on in Green Lantern as that series has been talking the Star heart up a lot, but I’m just guessing at all this. The art also does a really good job at being bright and showing off the characters, it’s very colorful and energetic. If I had anything else to say it’s I don’t know who that villain was, no seriously who is Chroma?
    Words to live by.

I thought he was a Johns JSA villain but maybe not (never read JSA). Also looks like the JSA HQ has been restored.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This has been a really good mini series so far, each issue has had both great writing and art.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The art also does a really good job at being bright and showing off the characters, it’s very colorful and energetic. If I had anything else to say it’s I don’t know who that villain was, no seriously who is Chroma?
    An obscure villain from Infinity Inc probably best remembered for being killed off in Johns' JSA arc Thy Kigndom Come.

Alright it’s issue 4 and this time we are focusing on those who gathered in the final issue of Death Metal, the Totality....although this issue is two for the price of one. See in this issue the Totality meets the Totality...of Earth-23. Yeah see it turns out that our group of omniverse watchers aren’t exactly unique to Earth-0, in fact it’s a mirror version of the team of Lex, Talia, Vandal Savage, Hawkgirl, Mister Terrific, and Martian Manhunter. Apparently they were testing multiverse defenses at the exact same time and ran smack into each other and so everyone but the Martians got to fighting until Calvin Ellis showed up and managed to show a pretty cool way to get past Martian illusions and starts fighting with Earth-23 Vandal Savage.

While distracted the martians decide its time for team exercises to see if they can trust each other when there is a mole among them and we get into everyone’s reason for being here

-Talia believes that universe manipulation took Damian away from her and put him on the path of Batman, she doesn’t want that kind of thing to happen to anyone else.
    -Lex basically believes he’s the smartest man in the room and won’t be outdone by Mr. Terrific.
    -Mr. terrific has a history with the multiverse and wants it to play fair...also he’s keeping an eye on Lex, who they have fun little banter with
    -Vandal savage is just bored and wants to do something interesting

Hawkgirl says she’s doing it because Martian Manhunter asked and he should know that so he has to be the fake....except he’s not and is basically testing their resolve and to him they all passed for now. Everyone leaves to go back to their proper dimensions and bid fond farewell until the next Crisis.

Personally I found it interesting to get into the Totality dynamic, it’s odd that there isn’t just one that works with the house of heroes in the multiverse but hey I guess personalized defenses for each personal multiverse worlds. I find Talia’s response to be the most interesting/threatening response though, not just because Williamson is writing Robin but it’s just fascinating to see someone blame the crises on their personal life problems.
    Words to live by.