Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Godzilla aims at an axe once in a whole fight scene, something that the majority of audiences won't even notice while they watch it.

One moment does not ruin a whole fight
    No, but it does make it dumb. Or at the very least, it is one more piece of stupid added onto a movie that was dumber than I expected it to be, and that's saying something. The whole axe thing is less of a glaring issue than the entire Scooby Doo detective agency plot line, for example. But the Scooby Doo thing is less rumbles relevant than the axe thing.

Was the movie fun at times? Sure. But it was at best dumb monster punching fun. And it was frequently not even that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    You know what this thread needs? Some WOG.

*runs off to question the director*
    *Cthulhu slaps Arbitus Twoamus with a fish*

Square up!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    No, but it does make it dumb. Or at the very least, it is one more piece of stupid added onto a movie that was dumber than I expected it to be, and that's saying something. The whole axe thing is less of a glaring issue than the entire Scooby Doo detective agency plot line, for example. But the Scooby Doo thing is less rumbles relevant than the axe thing.

Was the movie fun at times? Sure. But it was at best dumb monster punching fun. And it was frequently not even that.
    A movie can have terrible writing, but still be fun.

Fast and Furious: Hobbs & Shaw, for example.

Is it dumb? Phenomenally. Is it fun? Phenomenally.

Pacific Rim? Same deal.

The point I'm making is that all it would've taken, and what Captain Morgan proved with like two sentences, is that the fight would've been made better by simply having the axe draw in the atomic breath; instead of Godzilla being written as dumber than previously shown. The ending is still the same, Gozilla bodies Kong, but you get to see that "hey, Kong has a way to stand a chance" instead of "I'm gonna just... yknow, ignore the monkey and attack the one spot where my Atomic Breath does nothing. Cuz uh... rawr?"

Morgan's other point is a really good one, lol. If you remove all the bad writing in GvK you've got maybe fifteen minutes of good, stupid fun.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Pacific Rim? Same deal.
    My guy.

You might wanna think real carefully about the things you are saying.

Now, Pacific Rim is not a highly intelligent movie. It's a reptile brain level anime homage, there's a pretty solid limit there, even though PR is acutely aware of what it is doing and is masterful in its execution of its aims.

HOWEVER...

It is leagues smarter than the rather exceptionally dumb Godzilla vs Kong.

I just want us all the keep a solid sense of perspective here.

Let's not say anything we can't take back out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    My guy.

You might wanna think real carefully about the things you are saying.

Now, Pacific Rim is not a highly intelligent movie. It's a reptile brain level anime homage, there's a pretty solid limit there, even though PR is acutely aware of what it is doing and is masterful in its execution of its aims.

HOWEVER...

It is leagues smarter than the rather exceptionally dumb Godzilla vs Kong.

I just want us all the keep a solid sense of perspective here.

Let's not say anything we can't take back out here.
    Actually you have a point here.

Since I posted that, I've been trying to think of instances where Pacific Rim's writing dips to the level of GvK and... I can't think of any. A few nitpicks, sure. Questions about why the sword is only carted out that late into the fight with the flying kaiju... but the human bits are acceptable if hammy (in an "in on the joke" kind of way that makes them endearing); and the kaiju v. mecha fights are still some of the best in cinema.

So... yea.

Consider my comparing it to Hobbs and Shaw, retracted.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Actually you have a point here.

Since I posted that, I've been trying to think of instances where Pacific Rim's writing dips to the level of GvK and... I can't think of any. A few nitpicks, sure. Questions about why the sword is only carted out that late into the fight with the flying kaiju... but the human bits are acceptable if hammy (in an "in on the joke" kind of way that makes them endearing); and the kaiju v. mecha fights are still some of the best in cinema.

So... yea.

Consider my comparing it to Hobbs and Shaw, retracted.
    As a person who absolutely loves the film and has seen it like... I think... eight times by now? I can confirm that the the dumbest line and plot point is:

"All the Jaegers are digital, they're dead,"

"Not all of them Marshall. Gipsy's analogue - nuclear,"

Which is very stupid.

But it's a single moment of dialogue which is shorthand for; "Gipsy will go fight now which is what you want," and then we're back to the action.

Pacific Rim is just... really good. It's not smart but it's real good.

Godzilla aims at an axe once in a whole fight scene, something that the majority of audiences won't even notice while they watch it.

One moment does not ruin a whole fight
    Given that's the money shot used in all the trailers and promo stills, it's pretty certain that lots of people noticed it.

Regardless of the overall quality of the fight, because this needed to happen so there would indeed be a fight, it's still a PIS showing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Given that's the money shot used in all the trailers and promo stills, it's pretty certain that lots of people noticed it.

Regardless of the overall quality of the fight, because this needed to happen so there would indeed be a fight, it's still a PIS showing.
    And I guarantee every single person who saw those trailers and promo shots did not for a single moment think deliberately aimed for the axe.

For pete's sake, when Godzilla actually fired the beam in that moment it was aimed square at Kong's Chest, and only only hit the axe because Kong used it as a shield. The Axe didn't even get into the swing position until after the beam was already connected to it.

Stop making a mountain out of a freaking molehill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As a person who absolutely loves the film and has seen it like... I think... eight times by now? I can confirm that the the dumbest line and plot point is:

"All the Jaegers are digital, they're dead,"

"Not all of them Marshall. Gipsy's analogue - nuclear,"

Which is very stupid.

But it's a single moment of dialogue which is shorthand for; "Gipsy will go fight now which is what you want," and then we're back to the action.

Pacific Rim is just... really good. It's not smart but it's real good.
    Yea and that's different than "badly written", and my point was that badly written things can still be fun, even if they are dumb. Pacific Rim is dumb fun, not badly written fun.

Forgive me Pirate God, for I have sinned.

Arx Inosaan

And I guarantee every single person who saw those trailers and promo shots did not for a single moment think deliberately aimed for the axe.

For pete's sake, when Godzilla actually fired the beam in that moment it was aimed square at Kong's Chest, and only only hit the axe because Kong used it as a shield. The Axe didn't even get into the swing position until after the beam was already connected to it.

Stop making a mountain out of a freaking molehill.
    ...?

Getting a little heated there over a rather basic discussion, friend. Whatever.

...?

Just be a good and drink the cool aid, Gen. It's better that way, right? Right?!

Arx Inosaan

Just be a good and drink the cool aid, Gen. It's better that way, right? Right?!
    Well, better drink up before Kool-Aid comes for you first 0_0;

Extraordinary Member

Piss off with the snide remarks
    ...?

Your're right, I'm sorry

Yea and that's different than "badly written", and my point was that badly written things can still be fun, even if they are dumb. Pacific Rim is dumb fun, not badly written fun.

Forgive me Pirate God, for I have sinned.
    I absolve you, go to the depths in peace.