Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    To be charitable, the brightly glowing axe is a lot easier to see at night than the mostly dark gorilla, especially since Godzilla probably destroyed its night vision instantly the moment it used its incandescent laser breath, and the last time Godzilla saw the axe it was right in front of King Kong's body. Not to mention that Godzilla probably isn't used to seeing things that can take a sustained blast from his laser breath without harm, and if it managed to successfully destroy the axe Kong would have a significant reduction in both offensive and defensive ability.
    Except he fought the MUTO in the dark just fine, and killed one of them with a tail slap, in the dark.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    This is why I preferred thinking the axe had magic "get over here!" properties :P
    Watching the movie, it seemed like it did.

The screenshots are damning though lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Except he fought the MUTO in the dark just fine, and killed one of them with a tail slap, in the dark.
    Presumably, the MUTO wasn't holding a brightly glowing target to between them and Godzilla to blind and reflexively aim at instead, like how the purpose of Batman's traditional bright yellow chest decal is canonically supposed to be to make people instinctively aim towards the bright splotch of color that just happens to be the most heavily armored part of his outfit while he's otherwise jumping around as a blurring shadow, or how I can punch a guy in dim light just fine but will have my aim screwed up if they were holding up a flashlight at the same time.

Mind you, I haven't watched any of the new Godzilla movies and am mostly just spitballing a plausible charitable potential explanation for why something like that scene might actually happen.

King Kong as Batman, I like it
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Presumably, the MUTO wasn't holding a brightly glowing target to between them and Godzilla to blind and reflexively aim at instead, like how the purpose of Batman's traditional bright yellow chest decal is canonically supposed to be to make people instinctively aim towards the bright splotch of color that just happens to be the most heavily armored part of his outfit while he's otherwise jumping around as a blurring shadow, or how I can punch a guy in dim light just fine but will have my aim screwed up if they were holding up a flashlight at the same time.

Mind you, I haven't watched any of the new Godzilla movies and am mostly just spitballing a plausible charitable potential explanation for why something like that scene might actually happen.
    The point is more, a Godzilla who can't see anything and is being outmaneuvered was still able to smack something moving very quickly with his tail.

It's also not been shown to be a hindrance, him opening his face and vomiting atmoic fire everywhere so "stipulating" what's essentially nonsense to justify a poorly written scene is nonsensical.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member

Godzilla aiming at the axe once does not make the entire scene badly written

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Godzilla aiming at the axe once does not make the entire scene badly written
    To be honest the entire scene feels predicated on the axe being a big equalizer for Long to have a chance. That does make the scene feel kind of dumb on the whole. Had they showed the atomic breath curving off it's trajectory into the axe this would have been solved and I'm not sure why they didn't just do that. Possibly because the film didn't trust that its audience would understand that. Kind of like how PaperBoi was releasing his secret podcast without even using a voice scrambler.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    To be honest the entire scene feels predicated on the axe being a big equalizer for Long to have a chance.
    I gotta say, King Long is one of the better entries into the League of Typos in recent years.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I gotta say, King Long is one of the better entries into the League of Typos in recent years.
    hey hey, this is a 13+ forum we're on here.

Get that potentially lewd ape out of here.

let's be honest here, using the axe to help make Kong relevant in this and not just get completely curbstomped is still a big step up from him ass pulling lightning powers out of no where

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    To be honest the entire scene feels predicated on the axe being a big equalizer for Long to have a chance. That does make the scene feel kind of dumb on the whole. Had they showed the atomic breath curving off it's trajectory into the axe this would have been solved and I'm not sure why they didn't just do that. Possibly because the film didn't trust that its audience would understand that. Kind of like how PaperBoi was releasing his secret podcast without even using a voice scrambler.
    To add to this, when you have to rely on nerfing the competence of one of the combatants without any reason (IE, Godzilla deciding to be stupid despite multiple instances of NOT being stupid), to give the other combatant a chance, it's bad writing.

As Morgan points out, a simple change to how the axe operates completely changes the fight and makes it not stupid.

As it stands, it's just a poorly written fight. Still looks cool, but spectacle isn't everything.

Arx Inosaan

You know what this thread needs? Some WOG.

*runs off to question the director*
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    To add to this, when you have to rely on nerfing the competence of one of the combatants without any reason (IE, Godzilla deciding to be stupid despite multiple instances of NOT being stupid), to give the other combatant a chance, it's bad writing.

As Morgan points out, a simple change to how the axe operates completely changes the fight and makes it not stupid.

As it stands, it's just a poorly written fight. Still looks cool, but spectacle isn't everything.
    Again, one moment of bad aim does not constitute nerfing a combatant.

Nor does it make it bad writing

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Again, one moment of bad aim does not constitute nerfing a combatant.

Nor does it make it bad writing
    You'll have to elaborate because that sounds a lot like PIS to me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    You'll have to elaborate because that sounds a lot like PIS to me.
    Godzilla aims at an axe once in a whole fight scene, something that the majority of audiences won't even notice while they watch it.

One moment does not ruin a whole fight