Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Just adding some sequential screenshots to show how fucking stupid this moment was:

Godzilla is just... choosing to not aim at the gorilla in this sequence. Dude only aims at the axe for no real reason.

It makes sense from a movie perspective. Can't kill one of the protagonists at the 2/3rd mark, lol.

But it makes Godzilla look like an idiot, after having written him to be fairly competent up until then.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Incorrect, in their battle in Hong Kong, Godzilla shoots at Kong who is running towards him, Kong initially blocks with the axe but then proceeds to jump and swing it in an overhand chopping motion and Godzilla just continues to aim at the axe for no real reason rather than focus fire on the big monkey holding it.
    Just adding some sequential screenshots to show how fucking stupid this moment was:

Godzilla is just... choosing to not aim at the gorilla in this sequence. Dude only aims at the axe for no real reason.
    No, he's not. Kong moved the axe into position to catch the beam there.

(Beam wouldn't have hit Kong either way, but that can be explained by Godzilla not having perfect aim)

Also another thing.

I love how in the second screencap it looks like he's literally threading the atomic breath between Kong's arms and above his head just so he can hit the axehead and not decapitate Kong.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Spectacular Member

For what it's worth, Kong did take a burst of Godzilla's beam during the Hong Kong fight and kept on trucking. Kong eating the damage while running up to Shin and making like a lumberjack isn't out of the question.

It was kind of a glancing blow though. With a few more seconds on Kong he would have been toast but he evaded.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

How does starting distance work with Kaiju sized beings, what with the standard hundred feet is approximately make out distance for these combatants?

And in all fairness to Legendary Godzilla, it's probably tricky to do precision targeting or real time aim correction when you're firing opaque and blindingly bright lasers from your mouth, effectively cutting your field of view at least in half.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    How does starting distance work with Kaiju sized beings, what with the standard hundred feet is approximately make out distance for these combatants?

And in all fairness to Legendary Godzilla, it's probably tricky to do precision targeting or real time aim correction when you're firing opaque and blindingly bright lasers from your mouth, effectively cutting your field of view at least in half.
    A thing I liked in GvK was how Godzilla could fire quicker, smaller atomic bursts against jets (don't remember him doing that before in Legendary). Kong could preempt and deflect Godzilla super blasting him directly with melee moves as long as he was close enough, as far as the arena size question.

Ultimate Member

It looks "kewl" I guess.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    For what it's worth, Kong did take a burst of Godzilla's beam during the Hong Kong fight and kept on trucking. Kong eating the damage while running up to Shin and making like a lumberjack isn't out of the question.
    I don't thing Kong is that durable. When Kong got hit in the back, he quickly stopped the jumping monkey routine and Godzilla actually laughed at him.

And as per Shin, it's not just one blast...he's spamming dozens of them from his back, his mouth and his tail.

Kong will be hard pressed to walk through all that and actually take out Shin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    No, he's not. Kong moved the axe into position to catch the beam there.

(Beam wouldn't have hit Kong either way, but that can be explained by Godzilla not having perfect aim)
    This is again incorrect. At the start of this attack, Godzilla shots the beam at Kong who blocks it with the axe in front of his body while jumping.

He then raises the axe as shown in the screenshots and Godzilla keeps firing at the axe rather than just lowering his head to hit is actual target.

I will post further screenshots on my lunch break today.

This is again incorrect. At the start of this attack, Godzilla shots the beam at Kong who blocks it with the axe in front of his body while jumping.

He then raises the axe as shown in the screenshots and Godzilla keeps firing at the axe rather than just lowering his head to hit is actual target.

I will post further screenshots on my lunch break today.
    And proof as promised:

Godzilla was aiming square at Kong and then proceeded to not aim at him when Kong moved the axe.

This is why I preferred thinking the axe had magic "get over here!" properties :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    This is why I preferred thinking the axe had magic "get over here!" properties :P

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

To be charitable, the brightly glowing axe is a lot easier to see at night than the mostly dark gorilla, especially since Godzilla probably destroyed its night vision instantly the moment it used its incandescent laser breath, and the last time Godzilla saw the axe it was right in front of King Kong's body. Not to mention that Godzilla probably isn't used to seeing things that can take a sustained blast from his laser breath without harm, and if it managed to successfully destroy the axe Kong would have a significant reduction in both offensive and defensive ability.