Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What happened to James Cameron?

From 1984-1997 we got some classics (Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens) with some solid ones in between (True Lies, The Abyss). Then came Titanic and all of the awards prestige/box office along with it. Unfortunately it gave us a 12 year absence from film until Avatar in 2009. Now it's followed by a 13 year absence until Avatar 2 December 2022. Cameron's reasoning that he's been waiting for the technology to catch up is a weak excuse not to make a movie. You're telling me since 1997 there hasn't been one sci-fi/action movie or drama that didn't interest him? Give me a break. Even Christopher Nolan, while making his Batman trilogy which are big on their own, managed to give us Insomnia, The Prestige and Inception in between. I wish Titanic had flopped so that we had gotten more of an output. What a waste of a career.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    From 1984-1997 we got some classics (Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens) with some solid ones in between (True Lies, The Abyss). Then came Titanic and all of the awards prestige/box office along with it. Unfortunately it gave us a 12 year absence from film until Avatar in 2009. Now it's followed by a 13 year absence until Avatar 2 December 2022. Cameron's reasoning that he's been waiting for the technology to catch up is a weak excuse not to make a movie. You're telling me since 1997 there hasn't been one sci-fi/action movie or drama that didn't interest him? Give me a break. Even Christopher Nolan, while making his Batman trilogy which are big on their own, managed to give us Insomnia, The Prestige and Inception in between. I wish Titanic had flopped so that we had gotten more of an output. What a waste of a career.
    He would probably disagree that it was a waste...

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    What a waste of a career.
    I'm not sure he'd consider his millions, his Oscars and his place in movie history a waste Sometimes less is more, you don't want to OVER saturate yourself and burn out (like so many directors do). Also he's not been doing nothing; he's just not shooting movies right now. Probably in a lot of planning stages. I know for Avatar 2 he went to the deepest depths of the ocean, in a one man protective tank thing. It takes a lot of training to be able to do things like that, I'm sure he's having a whale of a time between projects.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Nothing happened to him.

He is making Avatar 2, 3 and 4 and last I remember, he was secretly dancing happily again that Avatar became the highest grossing film of all time, although I am sure he would want Avatar 2 to make more money.

Incredible Member

He finally made Battle Angel.

I'm counting that as a win.

Ultimate Member

James Cameron has been keeping busy doing a couple of documentaries.

Considering he made two of the biggest films ever and won a boat load of Oscars in the process, he doesnt really have much incentive to do much more.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I'm not sure he'd consider his millions, his Oscars and his place in movie history a waste Sometimes less is more, you don't want to OVER saturate yourself and burn out (like so many directors do). Also he's not been doing nothing; he's just not shooting movies right now. Probably in a lot of planning stages. I know for Avatar 2 he went to the deepest depths of the ocean, in a one man protective tank thing. It takes a lot of training to be able to do things like that, I'm sure he's having a whale of a time between projects.
    Quoted for truth.

At his age and stage of his career, there's little reason for him to keep pumping out movies "just because".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post

Yes, it was definitely a film making win. Cameron is naturally gifted as a film maker. He comes up with some amazing concepts.

Using his money to explore the sea depths.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post

I'm only considering movies that he actually directed not produced as was this case with Battle Angel. He just slapped his name on there to get butts in seats but had nothing to do with the production.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

At his age and stage of his career, there's little reason for him to keep pumping out movies "just because".
    And again, Nolan makes a movie every 3 years. He's not doing it "just because" but because he y'know...enjoys making movies? And having the audience experience his films. Unlike Cameron who has lived off of 2 movies the past 24 years.

Retired

Just because a person makes a movie, that doesn't mean they're now obligated to keep making movies for the rest of their lives.

If it was me and I had made a fortune off of TITANIC, I would fall out of civilization--go live on a private island and have a good life. Cameron is clearly a nerdy kind of guy who likes to invent stuff and movies scratch some of that itch, but there are a lot of other things he could do with his fortune.

It's creepy how some fans only want artists to serve them and if the artist decides to do something else with their life then they're no good.

Astonishing Member

He is involved in all kinds of things. Just not directing movies so much.

I know it's been said, but he has been busy, just not making Hollywood blockbusters. He's made several documentaries, dived the Titanic, and dived into one of the deepest places on Earth. I respect the man as an explorer, and as a film maker.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I know it's been said, but he has been busy, just not making Hollywood blockbusters. He's made several documentaries, dived the Titanic, and dived into one of the deepest places on Earth. I respect the man as an explorer, and as a film maker.
    He also works very closely with the film industry to see how he can improve many things about it from an art place. For instance I know he only tries to make some films when he feels the technology is available.