Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've always thought Razor Fist looks ridiculous (and is ridiculous as a concept) but the movie version is indeed an improvement over the original design. I kind of like it.
    He was cool in that toxen comic from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So yeah, all of those can shoot out of the bands without damaging his arms, hands, and other bands because sci-fi and/or magic bs.
    To be precise, because of his ability to chi-amp his body to superhuman levels.

Why is the Chinese government even brought up in this thread? Most of the cast is Chinese American, they are not the CCP. Even if they weren't, Shang Chi and Mulan aren't really comparable.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Original Design was beyond ridiculous as concept I mean how does he put on clothes or use the bathroom?
    Very carefully I would think^^

If I remember it correctly becoming the Razor Fist was something of a "honor" and he always had followers to help him with everyday stuff. But at least he is no taserface^^

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Why is the Chinese government even brought up in this thread? Most of the cast is Chinese American, they are not the CCP. Even if they weren't, Shang Chi and Mulan aren't really comparable.
    Someone brought up Mulan because of rising Asian-hate due to racists thinking China caused covid, and so other issues were brought up for why Mulan flopped such as China being run by authoritarian bigots. At no point did anyone make a connection between Chinese Americans and the CCP, although it was an off topic derailment.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Very carefully I would think^^

If I remember it correctly becoming the Razor Fist was something of a "honor" and he always had followers to help him with everyday stuff. But at least he is no taserface^^
    I mean, Taserface could still piss without cutting his manhood off. You know, assuming he had any to lose, which calling yourself Taserface seems to contradict.

So, having watched this trailer a couple of times and thought it over...

Does anyone else think that could e Wu Ao-Shi in there for a second?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, having watched this trailer a couple of times and thought it over...

Does anyone else think that could e Wu Ao-Shi in there for a second?
    You talking about the lady wearing green and Yellow In the crouching tiger esque scene?

If so I believes that Jiang Nan played my Michelle Yeoh. I've never heard of the character so who knows guess it could be a Iron Fist from the past. Depends who she's fighting. I can't even tell if that's a boy or Girl. If it's anyone from the main cast outside Wen Wu, then I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    You talking about the lady wearing green and Yellow In the crouching tiger esque scene?

If so I believes that Jiang Nan played my Michelle Yeoh. I've never heard of the character so who knows guess it could be a Iron Fist from the past. Depends who she's fighting. I can't even tell if that's a boy or Girl. If it's anyone from the main cast outside Wen Wu, then I doubt it.
    That's the one.

Just noticed the colors, and thought "Man, What Are The Odds That Doesn't Actually Mean Anything?..."

Even more so when you think about how they closed out the Netflix series.

All-New Member

Apparently chinese people don't like the idea of this movie!
    The movie trailer is now reported to have recieved negative criticism in China, they don't like a chinese movie being made by the westerners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee View Post
    Apparently chinese people don't like the idea of this movie!
    The movie trailer is now reported to have recieved negative criticism in China, they don't like a chinese movie being made by the westerners.
    From what I've seen they think Sima is ugly. So I don't really don't pay attention to that. Bet the movies does gangbusters over there despite all the nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    From what I've seen they think Sima is ugly. So I don't really don't pay attention to that. Bet the movies does gangbusters over there despite all the nonsense.
    Don't most movies do that though? Like the second weekend drop is a known phenomenon.

So clarification on the negative criticism in "China"( Taiwan and Hong Kong) . The Shang Chi trailer got a bunch of thumbs down aka ratio'd

They are bunch forces at work basically Shang Chi past aka Yellow Peril /Fu Manchu and Asian Stereotypes Ninjas, gangs , Chinese swordsmen, etc doesn't seem to be appealing to some. There is a secondary criticism I have seen about how didn't get a big star from China to be main character or Simu Liu isn't traditional handsome or some variety of excuse about his looks those seem to be silly to me but where there is smoke. Basically it is getting the America is throwing together some stereotypical Asian stuff and we don't care about that push back.

My thoughts
    One of my initial of criticism is Marvel had to use Shang Chi and no disrespect to hard core fans of Shang Chi, It is shame Marvel doesn't have big normal superhero A list type use to be first Asian character they use so they had to use Shang Chi. Which brings me to second half my initial criticism it is a martial art movie and it is same problem as Mulan you are trying to sell a martial art movie to audience that sees the best martial art movies in the world, this level of martial art action might excite an American audience but think about how much harder it is impress an Asian audience.

Now don't get it mistaken I think the trailer looks good and I like Shang Chi I don't think he was the best first choice, I think Aero or White Fox would have been better for first Asian Character those characters are closer to traditional Superheroes and won't have to deal with as much criticism about stereotypes.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-21-2021 at 02:40 AM.

And people don't like it when the bullshit orientalist tropes are being done with a white lead actor either, a la Iron Fist. Could it be the tropes that are the problem?

All-New Member

Almost the same thing happened with Guardians of the galaxy back in 2014.
    Marvel is introducing a c-list character (at best!) to the audience, but as you can see, it worked with the GOTG and i hope it will with Shang-Chi as well. I trust Fiege, in all honesty, i think Simu Liu has a charisma and is a good choice for the role. Persoanlly i'm not really into martial arts movies, but movies like shang-chi is needed so fans could see different aspects of marvel unicerse, i suppose. And i'm not really worried about the movie's action scenes, marvel is great at creating fantabulous action scenes and i suppose it's gonna be truely amazing to see martial-arts-based action being mixed up with some elements of the unique superhero fighting style!